“??!!How can this place still remain in business??!!”
Review of Backside Cafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The answer to the above question is because there are not that many breakfast/lunch options in "downtown" Brattleboro. Still, the food is mediocre, the waits are interminable, the service disintrested. It reminds me of so many of the state restaurants in Cuba. This place is too far gone even for a visit by Gordon Ramsey. He'd through up his hands in dismay!

2  Thank eastmagicmountainman

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Homey place in the middle of town, with good sandwiches and friendly staff. Will no doubt be a regular haunt when we move to town!

Reviewed June 8, 2012

During a one week visit to Brattleboro, I ate here twice. It was good. It's also nothing to rave about, but it was more than adequate for a hungry traveler.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

I'm a food service professional, former management professor, hospitality consultant, and professional chef, so it pains me to ever slag a restaurant, but in this case I just have to tell the truth. The main reason for this is when I was standing at the door on a recent visit listening to the host tell some people who were complaining about the long wait for their food, that "that's just the way it is with the Backside..." and kind of just gave them the hairy eyeball. I mean, I know they take forever, but I really didn't realize they so fully understood it and that they just don't care. I always chalked it up to the fact that the staff are not really professionals and figured one day they'd figure it out. Turns out they understand perfectly how bad they are, but don't give a damn.

So, I heard those remarks and sat down with the party I was with. You see, it was a morning after a wedding brunch and the bride and groom wanted to go to the Backside, so in these situations you just go. But there were 8 of us and we were the only people in the whole restaurant and we didn't get our food for nearly 2 hours. I'm not kidding! Nearly 2 hours! One couple left because they had children with them and the children just couldn't wait anymore. After about 45 minutes I just started laughing internally because it was so amazing to see this kind of thing. I actually offered my help to the waitress. I said, "If you all need help, I'd be happy to jump on the line and cook this food." She laughed and said they didn't need help. She knows me... she knows I'm a chef... and she had to know this was totally unacceptable. But still, she just thought it was par for the course.

Anyway, the food is never really any good... but there aren't a lot of options in Brattleboro for breakfast so people keep going back. I would never recommend The Backside and encourage anyone who asks to go to Coffee Country and get the best breakfast sandwich in town, served with a smile and an attitude that suggest they are genuinely happy to see you.

2  Thank David W
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We waited over 40 minutes after ordering our breakfast--it never came and no one cared. We were seated quick enough and got coffee and ordered breakfast, all within 5 minutes--THEN NOTHING--NO COFFEE--NO BREAKFAST--NO WAITER--NOTHING, FOR OVER 40 MINUTES.. 2 simple breakfast orders, an omelet and eggs w/ homefires. We tried to get the waiter's attention--he looked right through us. It wasn't that busy, most tables were filled, but oddly enough, very few patrons had food. A table who had already ordered before we arrived, after obviously waiting longer than 40 minutes for their food, finally got their meals, but had to wait even longer for someone to bring them silverwear. We finally got a waitress's attention and asked how long for the food and ordered more coffee-she was friendly enough but completely disinterested in the fact that it was now 45 minutes since we ordered eggs and she said something to the fact that she will let them know. Five minutes later we got our coffee, asked again about the food order, and got the same response. It was clear there she didn't bother the check on our order and there would be no hurry on the restaurant's part in filling our order. We left, without ever getting our meals, and went to a coffee shop next door for a bagle, which was toasted and served within 3 minutes-with a smile from the counterperson. We should have read reviews of Backside before going there, but is is just a breakfast/lunch place and usually even the worst can still cook an egg--or so I used to think. The majority of the reviews all say the same thing--takes forever to get food and bad service. There are plenty of places to eat in Brattleboro--save the aggravation--go somewhere else.

2  Thank LegalEagle1776