“A little mainstream for VT”

The Works Bakery Cafe
Ranked #17 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: The Works to you: humanely-raised, naturally-cured meats and poultry with no antibiotics or added hormones. Local eggs from cage-free chickens. Hormone- and antibiotic-free milk and cream cheese from Vermont family farms. Breakfast and lunch sandwiches and paninis on artisan bread, wraps or traditional boiled-and-baked bagels made with unbleached, unbromated flour. Fresh salads. Hearty, from scratch soups. Fresh-fruit smoothies. Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee. Thoughtfully sourced, local when possible.
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We were excited to pull offf highway on the way to my Mother's place in northeast Vermont. Don't get to the "banana belt" of Vermont often but thought we'd venture...Wow thus place was bright and airy and was rather mainstream which was a bummer. My Vermont roots wanted some "crunchie" and this didn't fit the bill. Felt like a Vermont version of Panera because it has a better trash area for recycle and compost.
The hummus was fine but not made from scratch. My husbands BLT was a "slider" sized sandwich for $7. He mooched off our daughters for their sandwich because we'd already spent $30 on 3 sandwiches. The iced tea was 4 stars!! The kids section was nice too. It wasn't bad just not what I expected from my dearest Vermonters;-)

Jennifer F, Front Office Manager at The Works Bakery Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

deirdresworld: Thank you for posting! I'm sorry I didn't catch this sooner!

I'm sorry that you felt that we were "mainstream"; but it means that we did something right! A lot of building material in that store that is reclaimed, and re-purposed; we're glad that we could make the store bright and airy while saving the planet, and not making it obvious that some supplies were pre-used. Also, most of the stone you saw was locally sourced in VT: helping to ensure that locals have jobs.

I'm glad you liked the hummus; and it is made in the store from scratch! We acknowledge that we aren't the least expensive restaurant, but we do price as affordably as possible while maintaining our mission. I do hope you will stop by again!

Jennifer

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stopped for a quick lunch. I had half a Dagwood sandwich and a cup of New England chowder and he had a full Dagwood. Everything was nearly ready in the time it took us to get from the station where we ordered to the cash register. The sandwiches were delicious and well filled; the chowder was as good as I make at home. I think their secret is that everyone does everything from taking orders, to filling them, to taking payments, to cleaning the condiment station. It seems like everyone feels responsible for good service.

Jennifer F, Front Office Manager at The Works Bakery Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and for your feedback. I am glad that you had a good experience (the Dagwood is one of my personal favorites also!), and that the food and service were of high standard. We have posted your review in the store, so that the employees can see why it is so important to maintain that standard of customer service! I'm glad that we could be of service to you! ~Jennifer Fay

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We were passing through Brattleboro as it was time for breakfast. When I consulted TripAdvisor I noticed their were very few breakfast places. That was confirmed when our first choice-supposedly a bistro- had only a few pastries and coffee. The barrista said there were no cafes in the downtown.

The Works is new looking and large. But they only make breakfast sandwiches with bagels and wraps. They had lots of ingredients. We purchased two bagel sandwiches. We probably should have gotten the wraps.

They had several choices of coffee. I had French Vanilla. It strong and good!

Jennifer F, Front Office Manager at The Works Bakery Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

mageith: Thank you for your review. We do offer lunch sandwiches and soups as well (on fresh baked bread)! I hope you will consider stopping in again sometime.

~Jennifer

Reviewed June 14, 2013

New England food has changed! This looks like a cafeteria-style plain bakery from outside. Not! Staff totally friendly, flexible-type menu to order, emphasizing local/humane ingredients, exc. coffee. We had quesadillas and smoked salmon with fixings. Everything looked great.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have eaten here several times from wraps, breakfast sandwiches, salads, sandwiches, and smoothies. The food is fresh and the variety of selections is good. The atmosphere is very laid back and casual. Lots of folks eating or sipping and on computers. And they don't use the same gloves to prepare food and ring up and then prepare food again. A personal peeve/thing for me.