“Good food with quick service”

The Works Bakery Cafe
Ranked #16 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Healthy
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Works to you: humanely-raised, naturally-cured meats and poultry with no antibiotics or added hormones. Local eggs from cage-free chickens. Hormone- and antibiotic-free milk and cream cheese from Vermont family farms. Breakfast and lunch sandwiches and paninis on artisan bread, wraps or traditional boiled-and-baked bagels made with unbleached, unbromated flour. Fresh salads. Hearty, from scratch soups. Fresh-fruit smoothies. Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee. Thoughtfully sourced, local when possible.
New York
“Good food with quick service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stopped for a quick lunch. I had half a Dagwood sandwich and a cup of New England chowder and he had a full Dagwood. Everything was nearly ready in the time it took us to get from the station where we ordered to the cash register. The sandwiches were delicious and well filled; the chowder was as good as I make at home. I think their secret is that everyone does everything from taking orders, to filling them, to taking payments, to cleaning the condiment station. It seems like everyone feels responsible for good service.

• Visited June 2013
Jennifer F, Front Office Manager at The Works Bakery Cafe, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and for your feedback. I am glad that you had a good experience (the Dagwood is one of my personal favorites also!), and that the food and service were of high standard. We have posted your review in the store, so that the employees can see why it is so important to maintain that standard of customer service! I'm glad that we could be of service to you! ~Jennifer Fay

Fremont, California
“Not many from which to choose”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We were passing through Brattleboro as it was time for breakfast. When I consulted TripAdvisor I noticed their were very few breakfast places. That was confirmed when our first choice-supposedly a bistro- had only a few pastries and coffee. The barrista said there were no cafes in the downtown.

The Works is new looking and large. But they only make breakfast sandwiches with bagels and wraps. They had lots of ingredients. We purchased two bagel sandwiches. We probably should have gotten the wraps.

They had several choices of coffee. I had French Vanilla. It strong and good!

• Visited June 2013
Jennifer F, Front Office Manager at The Works Bakery Cafe, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
mageith: Thank you for your review. We do offer lunch sandwiches and soups as well (on fresh baked bread)! I hope you will consider stopping in again sometime.

~Jennifer
Halifax, Canada
“What a surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

New England food has changed! This looks like a cafeteria-style plain bakery from outside. Not! Staff totally friendly, flexible-type menu to order, emphasizing local/humane ingredients, exc. coffee. We had quesadillas and smoked salmon with fixings. Everything looked great.

Visited June 2013
Newton, MA
“Very good sandwich shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have eaten here several times from wraps, breakfast sandwiches, salads, sandwiches, and smoothies. The food is fresh and the variety of selections is good. The atmosphere is very laid back and casual. Lots of folks eating or sipping and on computers. And they don't use the same gloves to prepare food and ring up and then prepare food again. A personal peeve/thing for me.

• Visited May 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Nice, Familiar Breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I ate breakfast at The Works Bakery Cafe in Brattleboro and was satisfied with my meal. The place looks and feels much like other bagel chain restaurants and the food was pretty similar as well. That probably isn't what I would have aimed for on my trip, but it was nice to get a filling breakfast before heading out for a day of fun.

• Visited May 2013