“Bring earplugs and cash”
Review of Elliott Street Cafe - CLOSED

Elliott Street Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I dislike being the downer review of a restaurant which is obviously well liked and trying hard. But it does not deserve five stars. Its an average. Not bad, not great.
First of all, why hasn't this restaurant considered noise dampening options? Its the only real restaurant open early on a Sunday for instance, so don't they expect a full house? We were seated near at least six children; all quite happy with their banging and chattering. The wood floors resonated their cries and the constant sound of dropping tableware. Then there is the open kitchen- crash, bang, clatter. Does it have to be wide open so I can enjoy the pots being scrubbed?
Then we have the order taker/servers. Chaos reigns. They get orders but do not know who they belong to, because people order from the counter then seat themselves. There has to be a better system-like those little signs other places use? Clearly they have gone deaf dumb and blind in this situation. I stood at the counter waiting to order for several minutes while they did whatever they were doing around and finally one looked at me in surprise and said "Have you ordered?" "Gee, yeah, I did, but who wants to sit and relax at that nice little table over there, when I could just stand here!" DUH.
For a healthy place, an offer of whole wheat french toast would have been nice. I was actually surprised when it showed up with WHITE bread. Live and learn. The bacon was good, as were the eggs. The coffee was not great.
Would I eat here again? Probably. but I would ask for whole wheat french toast and bring my noise cancelling headphones.
And make sure you bring enough cash- no credit cards and its not cheap.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Every time I visit my brother in Brattleboro I make sure to stop in at the cafe. Easily the best brunch in town. Last time I was there I got the salmon hash, served with poached eggs and dill sauce with a side of kale. So good. The roasted roots are awesome as well.

1  Thank katebhaig
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a great place to start a weekly weekend breakfast tradition. Open for lunch or breakfast though we usually only go for breakfast. Great pierce brothers coffee and really good food. Lots of veggie options. Super kid friendly and even has a ping pong table. There is a swap area for books and kids toys. Always something new for the little ones to play with or read.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I rarely go out to breakfast, but I keep coming back. Love the greens, the root vegetable omelet, the classic diner plates with a healthy twist. I'll wait 20 to 30 for a seat on a busy Saturday morning, even if I'm by myself.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Continues to impress with quality, fresh, inexpensive food. Book swap & ping pong table are still a nice bonus. Would love to see Dinner hours. Only drawback here is the popularity can result in long waits. Management should also consider how to turn the tables over more quickly - some parties linger on group projects or meetings for over an hour while taking up 2 or 3 tables. The diagram on "Peeps" on the chalkboard and the scientific background of these weird concoctions is hilarious.