“Excellent food excellent out of this world service”
Review of Gillies Restaurant - CLOSED

Gillies Restaurant
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I would like to start off by saying the Service at Gillie's restraunt is outstanding. I went with my mom and Grandma and our server was so nice and attentive to serveing us. I was really suprised when the owner Mr.Gilie himself came out and greated us like we were old freind's my mom and grandma even got free bowls of Lobster Bisque. their food was out of this world we orderd crab cakes and clams and lobster rolls and not one thing didn't make our taste buds crave more. This restraunt is perfect for anyone looking for a great experince and within a reasonble price range.

3  Thank TimfromVt
There are newer reviews for Gillies Restaurant

Reviewed June 29, 2011

One would think a restaurant connected with a fish market would serve fresh fish, and this place sure seems popular. Fish and Chips seemed like a good test case. Whether it was hake or haddock, it had gone directly from the freezer into the hot oil. One might say the same about the fries. I can't account tor the popularity of this place, it certainly doesn't come from value for dollar, since the fish sandwich is better and the ketchup less watery at MacDonald's.

2  Thank vputin
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My husband & I went here in Dec 2010. He had a Salmon sandwich for $11.00 and said it was the best Salmon he ever had! He eats a lot of Salmon, so he should know. Also it was HUGE. It was much bigger than the bread and very thick. A nice surprise.

He also got a favorite of his... ONION RINGS!!! OMG they are the BEST. They are hand cut, hand dipped and deep fried. They come out so you can bite into the onion ring without it all coming out of the breading. Yes there is enough onion to bite into! You actually get the perfect amount of onion. Then the breading is not the least bit oily. I don't know how they do it, but those onion rings are worth going for all by themselves.

I had the swordfish. It could have been better. It was a little mushy. Does that mean it had been frozen at one point? The flavor was great, it was cooked thru & hot.

I only gave the service 3 stars because, while she was attentive w/refills & needs, she did not at any time ask if everything was ok. Not after we got our meal and not even at the end. Not bad service, just not great.

Overall my husband did say that if we lived in the area, we would definately be regular patrons. He even considered going over the mountain in a snowstorm for those onion rings.

2  Thank CLB122
Reviewed November 17, 2010

stopped in gillies acouple weeks ago with my wife, we both tried the chef specials(i had the pasta, she had the salmon) and all i can say is wow. pasta special was littleneck clams, haddock, shrimp and calamari in a spicy red sauce over pasta. the salmon was grilled salmon with a caper, marjoram, fire roasted tomato sauce and came with a baked potato and grilled asparagus. top notch food with good enough service.

Mark and Lucy
Enfield CT

1  Thank iheartlucyEnfieldCt
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Ate at Gillies after our innkeeper recommended. It's a great, casual restaurant with a varied menu. We had fried shrimp and haddock with butternut squash and asparagus. They also had a good farmhouse chowder, and the apple pie was delicious. This isn't a nice, white-tablecloth restaurant, but it works great for a family or others seeking a quality meal without high prices.

2  Thank travelover25Texas