“Really delicious lobster dish”

The New England House
Ranked #15 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a family run restaurant offering classic and creative New England fare in a rustic New England atmosphere with our barn style lounge, covered bridge dining room and fireplaces.
Reviewed October 31, 2010

The decor is pleasant but sort of cutesy; the salad was OK but I've had better. But the
lobster mac and cheese....OMG!!! Not being from New England, I was eager to try lobster in various preparations since I rarely eat it at home. The lobster mac and cheese at this restaurant was the best lobster meal of the three I enjoyed during my week in New England - and all three were excellent! Really fantastic! The service was friendly and I really enjoyed my dinner here.

2  Thank ReisenistmeinHobby

Reviewed May 11, 2010

My son just graduated from Keene State College & we were looking for a place in the area for dinner. The problem is we're from the NY Metro area and we could never find something equal to the quality we had in NY. One of his friends recommended this restaurant and was that great advice. The food and service was excellent. Our party had everything from chicken to steak to seafood and all was exceptional. There fried calamari appetizer was probably the best any of us ever tasted. Of course, he graduates now right after we find this great place! It is as good if not better than a lot of restaurants in NY. Loved it!

2  Thank mary4135
Reviewed February 8, 2010

My husband and I had the pleasure of dining in the lounge of the New England House on a cold wintry evening. The two fires made it very cozy, the waitress was cheerful, efficient and friendly and the food was amazing. My husband had a wonderful prime rib, garlic mashed potato and side salad. I had a delicious blackened halibut with sundried tomato garlic butter -- melt in your mouth fish and tasty flavor combination. The evening wine special rounded out our meal.

2  Thank bluewaterdiva
Reviewed September 20, 2009

It was the "Vampire Chaser" that did it. After reading the reviews here, we decided to go to the New England House for our 10 year anniversary. We didn't get to sit in the room with the fireplace, but it was exactly what we were hoping. We started with the "Vampire Chaser" - garlic and brie on french bread. Oh my goodness. Unbelievably good. Then we had salads, which were delicious and had not a sprig of iceberg lettuce.

For entrees, I got the melt-in-your-mouth crabcakes. I'm from Baltimore, so I'm picky about crabcakes. These could have used some Old Bay, but they weren't advertised as "Maryland Crabcakes," so I'll forgive them. The garlic mashed potatoes were perfect - I didn't even need to add a drop of butter or grain of salt. The portions were very large - I'm a small person and light eater and I got 2 whole meals out of it. My partner ate all of his dinner (steak tips & mashed potatoes) and was stuffed, and he eats like he's still 15 years old. The most surprising thing was the coleslaw. I like coleslaw, even the bland mayonnaisey kinds. When the waitress said it was a no-mayo coleslaw, I was dubious, but oh my goodness, that is seriously the BEST coleslaw I've ever had anywhere ever.

We spent more than we normally would, but it was for our 10 year anniversary. For an appetizer, 2 dinners, 2 glasses of wine and a side salad (one was included with my partner's meal) we spent a little over $70, including tip.

1  Thank kiwitayro
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Food was good, but the atmosphere made the evening. The wife and I wanted a cozy, warm rustic place to eat and enjoy each others company. We stopped on the way to Mount Snow. Nice big fireplace in the lounge set the tone. We will stop again.

1  Thank kvdahlberg