“gourmet comfort food”

The New England House
Ranked #16 of 111 Restaurants in Brattleboro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a family run restaurant offering classic and creative New England fare in a rustic New England atmosphere with our barn style lounge, covered bridge dining room and fireplaces.
Keene, NH
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“gourmet comfort food”
Reviewed September 20, 2009

It was the "Vampire Chaser" that did it. After reading the reviews here, we decided to go to the New England House for our 10 year anniversary. We didn't get to sit in the room with the fireplace, but it was exactly what we were hoping. We started with the "Vampire Chaser" - garlic and brie on french bread. Oh my goodness. Unbelievably good. Then we had salads, which were delicious and had not a sprig of iceberg lettuce.

For entrees, I got the melt-in-your-mouth crabcakes. I'm from Baltimore, so I'm picky about crabcakes. These could have used some Old Bay, but they weren't advertised as "Maryland Crabcakes," so I'll forgive them. The garlic mashed potatoes were perfect - I didn't even need to add a drop of butter or grain of salt. The portions were very large - I'm a small person and light eater and I got 2 whole meals out of it. My partner ate all of his dinner (steak tips & mashed potatoes) and was stuffed, and he eats like he's still 15 years old. The most surprising thing was the coleslaw. I like coleslaw, even the bland mayonnaisey kinds. When the waitress said it was a no-mayo coleslaw, I was dubious, but oh my goodness, that is seriously the BEST coleslaw I've ever had anywhere ever.

We spent more than we normally would, but it was for our 10 year anniversary. For an appetizer, 2 dinners, 2 glasses of wine and a side salad (one was included with my partner's meal) we spent a little over $70, including tip.

1 Thank kiwitayro

Connecticut
“Nice romantic dinner by the fireplace”
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Food was good, but the atmosphere made the evening. The wife and I wanted a cozy, warm rustic place to eat and enjoy each others company. We stopped on the way to Mount Snow. Nice big fireplace in the lounge set the tone. We will stop again.

1 Thank kvdahlberg
hugauke
“Pleasant atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed February 18, 2009

This restaurant has pretty good food with interesting touches. Try the mouth watering vampire chasers (garlic bread with warm brie -- although these could use a little more garlic) and maple butternut squash as a side dish.

Service was quick and the wait staff very attentive.

Connecticut
“Great informal place for Thanksgiving Lunch”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

My two teenage daughters and I stayed in Brattleboro as the first stop on a tour of Vermont this past Thanksgiving. Actually, Vermont is pretty much closed on Thanksgiving Day (!), but we managed to find the New England House as a good place for lunch recommended by the front desk at The Hampton Inn in Brattleboro, where we stayed overnight. I believe this is the first review of the restaurant. The restaurant was informal and we were seated at a booth, but it was kind of cute and the food was really good. My teenage daughters originally balked at the soup appetiser, which was squash with curry and apple, but were very glad they had it anyway as it was really very good. The Turkey with all the trimmings came afterwards, followed by a selection of deserts. It was very pleasant and both my girls commented on it at the end of our stay as being one of the restaurants we ate at with good food.

1 Thank FionaOConnecticut