“Clean and comfortable”
Review of Latchis Hotel

Latchis Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I live in Vermont and while on business to Brattleboro chose the Latchis because it has been an important preservation project for the state. I believe they are slowly, room by room, doing the full renovations, so when I chose the least expensive room available ($90/two twin beds), I didn't expect an art deco palace. What I did get was a very clean room with fully equipped and clean bathroom, with a window overlooking a small brook and the mountains around Bratteboro. Yes, the chairs and desk need to be stripped and refinihsed, but they are the original maple furniture, and the place is being restored as dollars are available. Which is why I'm giving them my small contribution by staying here and recommending it...

THe location is tops: it is in the town center, with several shops and restaurants to choose from, and Brattleboro food coop (with a full organic salad bar) is across the brook, accessible by a charming pedestrian bridge. In-room free, wireless high-speed internet!

I try to stay, when possible, in owner-occupied inns and B&Bs, and the old downtown hotels...But I do notice when a place is not clean, and the Latchis is clean and well maintained, not just a faded glory.

THe staff was welcoming and helpful, too

Next time I'll spring for one of the more expensive rooms to see the full extent of the renovation. BUt for the money, it is SO much better experience than the other choices in town (Super 8, Ramada, etc) If you want sterile and predictable, go to Hampton Inn....

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank JakeVT

Reviewed August 24, 2009

We arrived early, but thankfully this was no problem for the friendly receptionist. The hotel has a lovely art deco style. There was a little noise at night from the guests walking up the corridoors as there is no carpet in them. The rooms were large and clean. Hotel is well positioned for walking round Brattleboro. Also the breakfast, included was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank luckystar36
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We stayed one night at the hotel and loved it. Our room was spotless and very tastefully decorated. The free high speed internet was great. We enjoyed the breakfast and the front desk staff was very helpful. Free parking was great. Lots of great restaurants to choose from including a brew pub and restaurant in same building. Don't believe the negative reviews posted. This hotel has character. I use TripAdvisor to pick hotels when we travel and I expect and appreciate negative reviews of places that we are going to stay in and places that we have stayed. They warn people with the same tastes who demand the cookie cutter blandness of a faceless chain to stay away from gems like this place.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank fallsrun
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I stayed at the Latchis recently and last year with the package deals.
Both times were a great experience. You can't beat the location and even though the hotel isn't fancy, it is truly art deco in design. We had a large corner room with two double beds and I found it to be unique and quite beautiful with the purple walls and 1930's furnishings. For the rate we paid wasn't expecting a palace in the middle of Vermont. The view out front is of the main street with a river running behind and a mountain in the background. The woman at the front desk was upbeat and helpful. We had called ahead for extra pillows and she remembered. Last but not least, the continental breakfast was above average. FRESH (non-processed) muffins and good strong coffee were a pleasant surprise and a step above
the chains. I remembered the streetside of hotel could get some traffic noise so I brought my travel earplugs. As it turned out I didn't need them.
Finally, the movie theater is a lot of fun. Yes it is old, but that's what makes it more unusual. Fun town with no chains in the center.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank curiousvoyager
Reviewed May 3, 2009

Let me start by saying I am not hard to please and I have stayed in rundown hotels before and found something good to say about them. The Latchis hotel is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. It is nice to look at from the outside and it was the whole 'Art Deco' them that made us go for it, however ... It is not enough to say that it is on the shabby side as it is far worse. We didn't stay at a busy time so it wasn't that we got the only room going, I'm sure there were no more than five other rooms taken and we didn't see any other guests whilst we were there.
To start with we entered the room and immediately noticed that the furnishings were on the old and shabby side and the bedspread was stained. I went straight to the bathroom which had beautiful art deco style furnishings but again was on the shabby side with a huge pilar in the middle of it. I drew back the show curtain to have a look at the shower and discovered a slight problem - where the shower head should have been there was a pipe sticking out of the wall but no shower head! At this point we should have just asked for our money back but we had booked the package with 2 movie tickets and a $50 meal voucher so decided to just stick with it, we'd had a long drive and had another long drive ahead of us etc. We went off and had a meal in the mediocre italian up sevearl blocks and then went to the movie theatre attached, which again was meant to be a glorious art deco experience but wasn't. We were the only two people in the room on the second floor and as soon as the film was started the projectionist left so it was a little creepy. All was okayish until we saw several mice scuttling about the floor and stairs at which point we left. There was absolutely no one in the building and the main doors were unlocked. There was a connecting door to the hotel which then unsettled me even more as earlier we'd seen several tramps/homeless people trying to get into the hotel earlier but the doors were locked which had at the time reassured me , now I'd just discovered that they had access through the movie theatre and there were no night staff or security in the hotel. We headed up to our silent corridor and both of us sat tight until we fell asleep (unsure which worried us more strangers in the hotel or mice). However we woke when day broke as we discovered the curtains had holes in ...
At 6.30am we decided enough was enough and left. There was breakfast laid out but we were unsure whether any of our nocturnal friends had been at it first so decided to give it a miss.

This is not an art deco experience so please do not be fooled. This hotel should be closed until it has basic pest control and security measures in places ( and several sets of new curatins, shower heads etc...)
If you think I am just one of those negative people whose reviews we've all read on this website then please read my other reviews especially of the Durley Dean in Bournemouth.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Bertie3003
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Impressed with the buidling and the way that the art deco style inside the building has been preserved wherever possible. Our room was a good size but it was a little sterile -the room lacked comfort. The whole building could do with a good clean - the windows in particular were bad. The hotel is long way from their claim of a boutique hotel. We still really enjoyed the experience and it was great to go to the cinema in the same building. The cinema in itseld is worth the visit!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeeeBeee
Reviewed March 26, 2009

After staying in a number of inns and b&b's in Vermont, I was delighted by my stay at the lovingly restored art deco landmark, the Latchis Hotel in Brattleboro. A combination of helpful and friendly staff, impeccable clean rooms furnished with original art deco furniture and many of which have lovely views of the Connecticut River and a mountain, extremely reasonable rates, a very pleasant breakfast room, and the pleasures of walking, eating, and antique shopping in Brattleboro and its environs make this hotel a true treasure. I have returned to the Latchis many times over the past 6 years.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank hmka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brattleboro
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
Colonial Motel & Spa
#4 of 10 in Brattleboro
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Latchis Hotel? Share your experiences!