“A fun old hotel”
Review of Latchis Hotel

Latchis Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is the first hotel that I have ever walked into, and it smelled like popcorn... right there should tell you how awesome this hotel is. The hotel lobby's architecture is phenomenal. The rooms are just as retro as you would expect from this 75 year old hotel. BUT, the bed and pillow are fantastically comfortable. I do not think I have been that comfortable in a hotel bed in... well ever. Also, this hotel is right in downtown Brattleboro so you can walk all around the town, to various shops, restaurants, and two breweries.

So, why not five little circles? Being an old building the walls are very thin. My girlfriend and I knew our neighbors were watching Titanic, and then word for word every discussion they had. Also, the parking lot is not big enough to fit all of the guests. Finally, their continental breakfast is almost as continental as an Econo Lodge (which is saying something).

I would stay at the Latchis Hotel, and the next time I do I hope I can watch a movie there (they even promote you to wear your pajamas).

Room Tip: If you reserve your room early you can specify that you want a mountain view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Croix B

Reviewed January 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Latchis on January 1st-January 3rd of this year. We stayed in Vermont back in October (in Grafton), but after seeing Brattleboro & this hotel, we wished we'd stayed in this location and knew that we had to come back so that we could stay here. We could not be more pleased with our stay.

Upon entry, the lobby is just gorgeous. We were greeted by an incredibly warm, friendly woman who upgraded our room "just because". We stayed during a time where there was heavy snow and were assured that if we needed another night at the hotel, there would be a room for us. While we did not end up needing to spend an extra night, this was a concern of our's and we were happy that it was addressed without even asking.

The hotel's location is in the heart of downtown. You are within a very short walking distance to the co-op (which we love), Whetstone Station (we love Whetstone too!), etc. I feel like anything that there is to do there, you are right next to. Even with all of the snow that was there, it was very easy/quick to walk to wherever we wanted to go.

We stayed in 'standard King' room 303. The bed was massive and incredibly comfortable. We had a flat screen television, coffee maker, mini-fridge and a million dollar view. We were able to look out over the street, ahead to the mountain... it was incredible. We spent a lot of time just admiring the beauty that was out that window. Another perk (I normally wouldn't care about such things, but had to make mention of this) is that the toiletries were incredibly nice. Continental breakfast had an array of standard, good breakfast fare.

Unfortunately, we did not check out the theatre, but I hope that we will be able to next time... and there WILL definitely be a next time (we are already planning our next booking)! We have never had a better stay at a hotel and really have not fallen in love with a location as much as we have Brattleboro. The Latchis is an excellent place to stay; if you are staying in/around Brattleboro, you must stay with them!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MaBoogins
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I've stayed at the Latchis twice now, and I will definitely be back. The location can't be beat, right in the middle of everything on Main street in Brattleboro. The hotel is clean and well kept, with a cute art-deco decor. The rooms are simple, and though they're not luxurious, they're comfortable. The hotel always has great packages- including movie tickets for the cinema downstairs (If you're a fan of art-house, indie flicks, check it out! Mainstream movie goers, keep on walking, you'll likely be disappointed.) and a voucher for a meal in the Flat Street Pub around the block is my favorite but there are several options to choose from. Overall a great hotel in a cute little city that I will keep coming back to.

Room Tip: I've never had an issue with noise but I've always had rooms in the back and it's always...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank supergirlieque
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Latchis is a clean and convenient hotel right in the middle of downtown Brattleboro. The folks who worked there were very friendly and the building has a lot of deco character. It obviously has the ambitions to be a "boutique" hotel but falls short.
The Latchis is not quite 3 stars for a few reasons:
-We slept poorly. The frame was interesting wood but the mattress uncomfortable. The pillows are cheap foam, not feather or down.
-Lipton tea bags in the room? Can't get any more downmarket than that.
-Disappointing breakfast. Low grade bagels and small tasteless supermarket muffins. Worthy of a mass market Motel 6 or Fairfield Inn but not an arty urban boutique hotel. With the prices Latchis charges, give the guest a decent continental breakfast or don't give one at all. With all of the great fresh pasties and coffee in downtown Brattleboro its a shame that they can't do better.
-Parking. The hotel lot was full when we checked in at 3:30. A number of the cars were not guests, but staff vehicles. You'd think they'd move them prior to the 2p check in window to better accommodate guests. I had to park in a municipal lot, lug my stuff into the hotel and then go back and move my car into the hotel lot a half hour later. Inconvenient.
-When I made the reservation with the hotel directly, I mentioned that it was for a special stay (anniversary). No upgrade. No welcome amenity. No mention or greeting at all. I understand they may have been booked solid and that would prevent an upgrade, but every other boutique or upmarket hotel (Kimpton, Portland Harbor, most any nice B&B) that I have stayed in and have mentioned a special occasion, the hotel without exception does something to recognize it (even if its just a chocolate and note in the pillow or a "Happy Anniversary" greeting at check in.) Are they clueless or just don't care?
-Not a great value. Given the quality of sleeping accommodations and actual amenities, the Latchis should be priced $25+ less per night.
I expected more, but the Latchis can easily make a few positive changes that would help them become the "boutique hotel, Southern Vermont's jewel" that they claim and aspire to be.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank BigFatMoe
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Thumbs up to this restored hotel in the center of Brattleboro, conveniently located a stone's throw from the Amtrack station, and close enough to the famed Brattleboro Food Coop that you can see it from your window.

Classical statuary set the tone, and the blue-lit statue in the Latchis Theater on the ground floor is stunning.

Staff are personable and made me feel welcomed right away.

Clientele, yours truly included, were quiet on this November night, and I got a great night's sleep. Liked that the soap in the bathroom is better quality than most inns, with a clean, intriguing scent.

All the usual amenities, including House umbrellas available for guests to borrow, and an outgoing mail basket, which saved me some steps.

My only disappointment was that the bathtub drain lever wasn't working....I was exhausted and so looking forward to a hot bath! But since a couple of folded washcloths did the trick, no biggie.

I'll be back!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Yogainthegarden
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in Battleboro on our travels through New England. This historic Art Deco hotel/theatre on the main towntown road was very quiet despite the traffic. Windows were double glazed, fans and windows did open for fresh air which we needed as it was quite hot. We were on the 3rd floor, so had great views of the Connecticut River and mountains. Our room was roomy, clean and comfy with a frig, tea & coffee making, TV. Breakfast was very ordinary. Staff were extremely helpful and cheery. Parking at the back of hotel was not secure, however we had no trouble. Great position to walk to cafes/pubs/restaurants and shops. Close walk across the bridge for great mountain walks. It is worth a look inside the theatre if you dont take in a movie.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hinesite
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed one night, the staff is SUPER friendly, really make you feel welcome. The hotel is not fancy but very clean. The room was small, but you can tell they take great care in keeping it up. The location is great. We checked out the theater, its beautiful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank islgrl2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brattleboro
Comfort Inn & Suites Brattleboro
Colonial Motel & Spa
#4 of 10 in Brattleboro
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Latchis Hotel? Share your experiences!