“Disappointed”

Super 8 Brattleboro
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We've stayed at this hotel before, and loved it. Unfortunately, that time was during the summer a few years ago. We stayed this past week, and may never go back. My fault for insisting on staying here and not paying the $20 more to stay at America's Best Inn down the street. The handicapped parking spots were all inaccessible - one with about 10 feet of snow (do your plow drivers understand the concept of handicapped parking?), the middle was basically a pond of water, and the 3rd one was taken up with the back-end of a huge tour bus. This actually should have been my first clue that this place wasn't such a great idea this time. I was quoted a price of $56 for the night. Because I'm disabled, we needed a room that was handicapped accessible. I was told it would cost $7 more for a handicapped-accessible room because all the accessible rooms have king-size beds, and king rooms are $7 more. I told the desk clerk that was discrimination - it's not my fault none of the queen rooms were made accessible, and he just shrugged it off. We paid it, because we didn't have a choice; we were going to the Latchis and were on a time limit. The temperature in the room could not be regulated no matter how hard we tried; it was either an oven or a freezer. There was no in-between. Because of this, I had a really hard time sleeping. The WiFi was so weak, I should have just logged on to the McDonald's WiFi next door. The pillows were smaller than throw pillows. The only good thing I can say about this stay was that the breakfast wasn't too bad; the waffles were good, and actually kind of fun to make. I will also say that the desk clerk was very nice and even apologetic when I had to call at about 1:00 am to see if they might have any stomach remedies available (they didn't). Unfortunately that also meant I had to go out to the car in the back parking lot by myself at 1:00 am to get ours out of the car. My husband and I stay over in Brattleboro at least twice a year, and have stayed at every hotel on Route 5. I doubt we'll ever stay at this Super 8 again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
BCManagement, General Manager at Super 8 Brattleboro, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

I want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced but unfortunately this winter was rough on our parking lot and we can't get it fixed until the spring. As far as our handicapped rooms go without a reservation we cannot guarantee any rooms types are available at the time of arrival we can only rent you what we have available at the RACK rate. Once again I do apologize for the issues but we hope that you can understand and will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Well I didn't have high expectations of this hotel to begin with. It was the closest and only hotel with rooms available last minute on President's Day weekend and we wanted to go skiing at Mt. Snow. I figured we wouldn't be in our room very much, so it would be okay.

The basic necessities are there and the associates are nice. The beds were actually very comfortable and the mattresses looked new. We stayed here for two nights, however we never received housekeeping service during our stay. They knocked on our door at 7:00pm on our second night asking if we needed anything, but it was too late for housekeeping by then.

My biggest complaint about this hotel is the smell. The smell of smoke has overtaken the whole property. All the rooms have No Smoking signs on the doors, however the smell is over powering. I walked up to the front of the hotel, near the front desk, to get ice and noticed there is an employee lounge/ front desk and the smoke was coming from this area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give out hotel a review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay for the most part but I would also like to apologize for the smell of smoke in the hallways. The rooms usually do not smell like smoke however. I just wanted to let you know as well that we absolutely do not have an employee lounge/ front desk smoking area or anything like that here. The smoke smell either comes from some of our few smoking rooms in a select part of the building or from guests who decide to break the rules and smoke in a non- smoking room. Once again thank you for taking the time to give us a review and although your stay was less than perfect we hope you will return to stay with us again.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I wanted a basic, no frills room for business. Though somewhat run down, this motel seemed to be fine. But my non-smoking room smelled so strongly of smoke & air freshener that my eyes were burning within half an hour. I moved my suitcase back out to the car in an attempt to keep some of my belongings from not smelling so terrible. There's a lot I can put up with at a low-budget motel, but this exceeds my bare minimum. I would not recommend this motel to anyone other than smokers who won't mind the smell.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

I want to start off by apologizing for your experience at our hotel. We absolutely would have moved you to a new room as soon as you complained. We try to keep our non-smoking rooms as smoke free and odorless as possible I am sorry that we failed on this occasion. Once again I am sorry and hope that you will return to give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
BCManagement, General Manager at Super 8 Brattleboro, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I didn't have high expectations of this place, but it was recommended on Mt. Snow's website, was the cheapest lodging around the Mt. Snow area, and I figured for one night, how bad could it be? The location of the hotel is on the outskirts of Brattleboro so you have to drive into the town. The front desk staff was a nice guy so no complaints on service. It really just boils down to the fact that the room was pretty disgusting. The sheets and blankets were paper thin and not particularly clean. The hallways reeked of years-old smoke, the room smelled rather unseemly, and just felt overall dirty. And the beds were just incredibly uncomfortable. I know one can't expect too much for $99 a night these days, but even for one night, I would not return. Especially after a long day of skiing. Lastly, Mt. Snow advertises this place as being "greater than (>) 1 mile" away, but it was actually a 45 minute drive. If I had know that, I would have searched for a place much closer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
BCManagement, General Manager at Super 8 Brattleboro, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give out motel your feedback. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We are about 2 miles from downtown however many of Brattleboro's great restaurants are located near us. Our housekeeping is generally very good and gets great reviews. I can also assure you housekeeping always changes sheets after each guest so I am not sure why the room appeared to be that dirty. Once again I apologize for your inconveniences and hope your next trip to Mount Snow will be better.

Reviewed February 11, 2014