“Not great” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Bexley, United Kingdom
“Not great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed here for a night with 2 small children to break up the long drive from northern Vermont to New York. The Super 8 is on a busy main road about 2 miles outside the centre of Brattleboro.

The first impression on arrival is the strong smell of tobacco in reception - and this permeates throughout the hotel. We stayed upstairs in a non smoking room, but it still had a smoky odour - and our clothing smelt of tobacco hours after we'd left!

The receptionist was a little indifferent - perhaps it's just me but I hate it when someone answers the phone when you're standing right in front of them. However when we had big problems with a faulty smoke detector, the maintenance guy was helpful in getting us moved to another room, and everyone was very apologetic.

The room itself was clean - although the decor and furnishings were pretty dated. Our toilet also didn't flush properly.

There is Wifi and breakfast - the selection was good with a range of cereals, baked goods, waffles and toast, however the breakfast room itself was tiny with not enough chairs for the tables.

Obviously we weren't expecting high luxury from a budget motel like this - however we've stayed at better places elsewhere for about the same price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BCManagement, General Manager at Super 8 Brattleboro, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I would like to let you know that our front desk associates have to answer the phone when it rings because 99 percent of the time it is another guest calling. I have never had a problem with a guest because the front desk had to answer a call during check in especially since we always ask them to hold until we are done with the check in. I would also like to apologize for the battery in the smoke detector needing to be replaced because it was running low although I hope you would understand that batteries do eventually run low and need to be replaced there was nothing wrong with the smoke detector. I am sorry about the smell of smoke in the smoking hallway as we do have smoking rooms and occasionally a guest will smoke in a non smoking room with the bathroom fan on and it can escape into a room next door. Once again I am sorry for the problems during your stay and although your stay was not perfect I hope you will return to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I booked my room through Expedia.com for a good price. The girl at the front desk was very helpful. I had requested a first floor room close to an outside entrance, and this is what I was given. The room was very clean and larger than I expected and everything we needed was provided. The bed and pillows were SUPER comfortable! The grab bar for the tub was broken, and since this could be a dangerous situation, I reported it to the front desk. The breakfast was a bit more than adequate.......I enjoyed the waffle, fruit, yogurt, hot chocolate and orange juice. I would stay there again for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BCManagement, General Manager at Super 8 Brattleboro, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
I want to start off by thanking you for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review. I know the front desk staff will love to hear your compliments as they work very hard to do everything they can for each and every guest. I am also glad that you liked your room so much and that you thought everything was very clean and comfortable as we did recently replace all of our beds and pillows with Simmons Beauty Rest mattresses and gel fiber pillows. I am sorry about the grab bar being broken but thank you for reporting it our maintenance department always deals with issues as soon as possible. Once again thank you for the review and we look forward to serving you again.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

One night stay, rooms are clean but whole place just out of date, no flat screen, showers have low flow with too little water, toilet didn't work well. Breakfast room is converted bedroom, too small and nothing special. Wifi was quirky.
Will go to more expensive motel next time.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We utilize all of our guest feedback in order to make improvements on a daily basis. I just want to let you know we do have flat screens in select rooms but you must reserve one of those rooms. Also we do have low flow toilets as well however they are made to be that way as too save water and help us move towards a sustainable operation. I am sorry if you had issues with the internet however we did not receive any complaints about out internet not working. Once again thank you for your review and I am sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Travelers are raving about these Brattleboro hotels

Utica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

At the Brattleboro Super 8 I always receive clean and comfortable accommodations and a staff that goes out of their way to supply customer service. That's why I always choose them when staying in the area. Thanks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

BCManagement, General Manager at Super 8 Brattleboro, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
I want to start off by saying thank you for that great review! I am so happy to see the compliments you made about the staff going out of there way to provide you with great service because they do work very hard to make each and every guest happy. Housekeeping works very hard to keep our rooms as clean as they can so it will mean a lot to them that you always receive a clean and comfortable room. I know when the staff hears your compliments it will be a big morale boost for them. It is great to see that you stay with us each time your in the area we appreciate all of our returning guests and we hope to serve you again next time your here in Brattleboro.