“Terrible Thanksgiving Stay”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Brattleboro
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Where to begin...Things started off well with a quick and easy check in. I was impressed that the general manager had put herself on duty to allow her staff time with their families for the holiday. From there things went badly downhill. The room was "clean" albeit the curtains were torn and there was no heat on. Upon turning the heat on it clanked, sputtered and smelled of smoke. We turned it off and asked for additional blankets..there weren't any. It was supposed to be a no smoking room but smelled of cigarettes and there were burn holes in the bedspread. The TV had a wobbly image. We could tolerate that. Pillows were awful, as were the sheets. Clean but threadbare. The bathroom had the worst towels I have ever had in a hotel and the bathroom mirror and faucet hadn't been wiped down, or sanitized in who knows how long. The tub had no stopper in the drain. The walls in the room had open molly plugs where frames had been lifted and stollen. We were on the ground floor and the door twelve feet away from our our room was left unlocked all night. There were people in and out through that door all night. Some were clearly residents/transients. It left us feeling quite unsafe. Now some things they bragged about on their web site...pool (disgusting, with the same towels left around the area the whole two days we were there); sauna (disgusting and didn't work); fitness room (disgusting, unheated and all of the equipment was out of service); breakfast was unattended and out of the basics like milk and coffee; Tables had not been wiped down forever. We will NEVER cross their threshold or give them one dollar again! OK so you are probably asking why in the world did we stay there to begin with! No, we are not cheapskates. We had limited availability because the "best" place in town is the Hampton Inn adjacent to the Quality Inn and it was full, as were every respectable country inn. Brattleboro's chamber of commerce needs to be held partly responsible for the lack of "quality" places that are clean, safe and well maintained in the area. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else at all cost!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank traveler120483

Reviewed November 9, 2012

My experience with this hotel was a complete nightmare! I was told by 2 different employees, months apart, when I made and confirmed my reservation that I could use a coupon for my stay, only to get there and be told that they don't accept coupons for reservations, only walk ins. Then I was snarked at by both the manager and a front desk associate. I had also called to confirm an early check in days before because I had a wedding that day, only to again be snarled at that I had to wait till 3. I of course was not happy with this nonsense in which they made us wait while they found a completely different room away from our friends room that we had booked with, and expected us to be thankful that "they found us a room." The room was crap. Dirty, old furnishings, completely unworthy of $160 for the night. My friend found trash under her bed in her room. My boyfriend and I ended up leaving at 6:30 in the morning because the bed was so uncomfortable. We tried their "breakfast buffet" and it was of course crap. It didn't even have taste to any of the food, I wonder if any of it even was real food, probably by products and other crap. Do not stay here! Waste of money!

1  Thank KG2205
Qualityinnvt027, Director of Sales at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Good morning. Thank you for your opinions that were expressed. Over the past several days I have researched your candid expressions that you have listed here. With alot of respect and integrity, I can tell you that we appreciate all of our guests. I am fortunate to work with a very experienced staff that will go above and beyond for our guests as well.

It is true. You did call the hotel on two occassions. On both occassions you were informed that the coupons you wanted to use was for "walk in guests only" and cannot be used for existing reservations. You informed us that you " wished to make a reservation anyway several days in advance to secure your reservation". And again you were informed that the coupon could not be used and was only for "walk in guests". On arrival you then wanted to use the coupon anyway and you were declined by my staff. Therefore you were unhappy but chose to stay anyway.
I tell all of my guests to read the coupons carefully for any hotel with whom you choose to stay.
Look at the conditions and availablity statements and the expiration dates.

Finally, as I tell all of our guests. If you have a special request, a specific need or need assistance please contact us anytime so we can help. We want to make your service and lodging is the best is can possiblly be.

Thank you again for your response.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Overall the stay here was average, but Chef Mark gave exceptional assistance in a number of areas in addition to putting on a great breakfast. He made the stay much better with his enthusiasm and personable approach to food presentation, and even helped us with local directions and recommendations.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Family medical issues precluded staying at this place so gave up another day of leaf peeping to head back to Virginia. When I called to cancel the day before the reservation, the clerk said that the computer would not permit the cancellation. Just saw that my credit card was still charged for the room, and suspicion that the hotel was able to rent to another guest. This is unbelievable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

This quality inn was ok but to be competitive with surrounding properties needs some upgrades. We traveled in late fall and found this place after dark. Exterior was nice. Rooms and hallways in the rear of the property needed upgrades and paint. The best feature was the breakfast bar, which was of great quality and variety.

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is anything but "Quality". I know it is peak season in mid-October but there is no reason a room at this hotel should cost so much. We only booked it because they allow small dogs up to 20 lbs and the only other one in the area that also allowed pets and had rooms available was double the price. We booked about a month in advance. The woman at the front desk was very nice and the lobby was old and worn, but they tried to make it cozy with seating and a checkers game. That's where the charm ended. We had to drive around the back of the building to park near the UNLOCKED back door. It's on the treeline that separates the hotel from the highway. There was one tiny light above the door, which we had trouble finding at 8:00 on a dark rainy night. Our room was on the end next to the door for "convenience to take the dog out", they said. The hallway smelled disgusting, like food and garbage, and despite being a non-smoking room, it smelled like old smoke in our room. The room was dingy, though appeared to be very clean in terms of dust, debris, etc. on the furniture and in the bathroom. No bed bugs either, which was a plus. We turned on every light and it was still dim in there, but that might be for the better. The decor was dated and they haphazardly hung painted crown molding over the old border and didn't even cut it correctly to fit around the window valance. Just a bad look, which told me a lot about how they take care of the place. The tub was stained, though clean. The toilet lid was also stained with something black and thick that looked like tar. There were mold spots on the bathroom ceiling and the paint was bubbling because there was no fan in there. Housekeeping promptly brought us extra towels when requested, which was nice. For a quick 2 night stay, it wasn't terrible, but I don't think we'll go back. We'll book further in advance and try to get a deal somewhere else.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went up for the Keene Pumkin Fest and they jacked the prices up!!! The entry ways were musty and gross!!! Indoor pool was slimey and the pool table room had a large vent with no cover on it so leaves,bugs and cold air were coming right in!!! Not worth the price!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family