Lilac Inn
The Mountain Top Inn & Resort(Chittenden)(Great Value!)
$275
RodewayInn
Travel Inn(Rutland)
$70
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgrand suiteb bbeautiful gardencafe provencegracious hostsbreakfast was deliciousromantic getawaywood burning fireplaceold mansionfive yearsfresh fruitwine and cheeseentire weekendeach morningdaughter's weddingpastrybed and breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Shelly and Doug are perfect for the Lilac Inn. They were right there to see that we were comfortable and our needs were addressed as they are so personable. The breakfasts were heavenly. We enjoyed our stay which came to a close much too soon. This was certainly a memorable anniversary trip as we celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Spring Room which was very comfortable. I especially enjoyed the soaking tub! This was a corner room and was bright which I love because I love lots of light.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lilacinn, Owner at Lilac Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Thanks for having your 45th wedding anniversary with us and we loved having you as guests. As you know this summer home was built for special celebrations and 45 years of marriage deserves a special getaway. We are glad you enjoyed the soaking tub, which is original to the home. We look forward to a return visit!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had a lovely escape for a weekend, breakfast was good but not very creative. Great attention to detail in house and clearly beautiful spot for an event. I would not stay in Room 9 however as that is right above the kitchen and you hear the prep. Doug a lovely host, v helpful but not obtrusive. A late afternoon tea or wine as cheese would be a real added plus.

• Stayed: October 2013
Lilacinn, Owner at Lilac Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for being our guests and for your review. In our 13 years as Innkeepers we have tried many things to try to please our guests. As we are within walking distance to the village of Brandon, we find most guests are gone for the entire day, or return briefly, before going back out. For that reason, we keep a candy bowl and apple bowl for a quick snack, but do not put out a cheese tray as we found few guests enjoyed it unless they were here as a large group.

Likewise for breakfast, we have experimented with several different menus and find that most guests like the fact that we do a cooked to order breakfast with a different omelet, breakfast meat and sweet each morning. We hope you try us again and will let us know any special requests for your breakfast.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Lilac Inn is easily one of the nicest Inns that I have had the pleasure of visiting ! It is not always easy finding a charming place to stay that is dog friendly and I really cannot say enough good things about this Inn . It is a beautifully maintained Victorian mansion that was built as a party house in the early 1900's . As I was travelling with my senior mother, I was thrilled to find a B&B that offered a room with 2 beds. The rooms were lovely...clean and beautifully decorated with period pieces including an large original soaker bath tub. I appreciated the t.v as well as the wifi in my room. It is evident that the innkeepers " Doug" and " Shelly" love what they do...and their faces light up when they tell stories about the house and it's history. They were truly welcoming to my large breed dog and I really felt that they were happy to have him stay...and not just tolerate him. The breakfast room was a magical spot overlooking the beautiful gardens and our breakfast was a tasty treat wonderfully prepared. My only regret is that we were only able to stay 1 night as I would have loved to stay longer and explore this great part of Vermont. Thank you Doug and Shelly for a great stay!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

We enjoyed having you, your Mother and wonderful dog as our guests. We are glad you were able to stay in one of our rooms with an original deep bath tub. When this summer home was built in 1909 it was designed to pamper guests with all the latest creature comforts, including telephones, in each guest room. We have tried to preserve that welcoming and relaxing ambiance while updating the rooms and the Inn for today’s traveler. We also have put a lot love and energy into our perennial gardens.

Again, thank you for being our guests and we look forward to a longer stay in the future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at the Lilac Inn with another couple. We found Shelly & Doug, the Inn Keepers, to be super accommodating and friendly. Brandon is a very cute town, and many of its restaurants and shops in walking distance to the Lilac Inn. We stayed in the Moosalamoo room. It was well decorated and very comfortable. The breakfast was fantastic!! It is a beautiful spot and we hope to return someday!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Moosalamoo room and our friends stayed in the Audobon room - both are recommended!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for your kind words. We loved having you and your friends as guests and are very glad you were to able to enjoy some of Brandon’s many restaurants and shops. We look forward to seeing you on a return visit to Vermont.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I called and asked to make a reservation for a wedding. No questions were asked except for my name. When I called to cancel, the hotel had no information about me.
After the wedding, the inn keeper, Shelly, gave the groom's father our bill. He called me very upset. I called Shelly, and she kept saying he asked for the bill, which he didn't... I called her back and told her the whole story...I was so mad! So please, get a reservation number or you'll pay, either with an upset friend or/and a fee.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Lilacinn, Owner at Lilac Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Patty, we were very upset after reading your comments on Trip Advisor. You rated us a 50 without even staying at the Inn. The payment you promised for the reservation has not arrived and you will not return our calls. However, if you have an occasion to visit Brandon in the future please stay with us and experience for yourself the hospitality the Lilac Inn is known for.

We purchased the Lilac Inn 13 years ago because it began life as a grand home, custom built for special celebrations. It has become a popular choice for Vermont destination weddings, as well as, romantic getaways. As a family owned business, we work very hard to ensure everyone who dines and/or stays with us has a memorable experience. We want them to return to the Lilac Inn, Brandon and Vermont.

We appreciate guest feedback and certainly hope you will consider commenting on the wedding you attended here….perhaps the food, the service, etc. This is our livelihood, our passion, a true family business and every guest is important to us.