“Best place for a wedding”
Review of Brandon Inn

Brandon Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Brandon B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2010

We recently spent four days (3 nights) at the Brandon Inn for my daughters wedding. We had a rehearsal dinner for about twenty people, while at the same time the Inn staff served another large group in an adjoining dining room. The following night we had our wedding reception dinner (approximately 90 guests) in the dining room, followed by dancing and socializing in the Ballroom until the wee hours. The Inns owners Sarah and Chef Louis Pattis along with the wonderful staff made us all feel special. They went out of their way to see that everything and anything was taken care of. I’m sure with a full Inn ( 49 rooms) they, like a ducks legs below the surface of the water they may have been paddling like craze but above the surface all was calm and beautiful. The food prepared for both dinners was fantastic. The included breakfast of pastry, pancakes/waffles, eggs, sausage and bacon the next morning gave us the strength to seize the day and see the wonderful small town of Brandon and the surrounding Vermont attractions. I truly believe my daughter and my new son in-law, my family and new family in-law couldn’t have had a nicer wedding anywhere else. Please go and enjoy the wonderful Brandon Inn and Vermont for yourself.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed February 23, 2010

The hotel is large as are the rooms, but this hotel is run down. The old world charm is completely lost because it is simply old including the elevator that I could not operate, carpets, beds and bathroom. We had plenty of room for our kids, but my husband thought we were at the Bates Motel so we left early.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank jenkinsnj
Reviewed January 15, 2010

If you're looking for a sweet, personal wedding experience, with a staff that makes you feel like you and your guests are in the hands of true hospitality professionals, and food that will continue to garner compliments months later, turn to the Brandon Inn.

We held our wedding reception at the Brandon in August 2009. Sarah and Lynn were a pleasure to work with--professional, friendly, always on top of what needed to be done when. This was a huge reassurance as my husband and I live in New York City and were thus planning the wedding from several hours away.

The food was amazing--delicious, inventive, and beautifully presented. We served a filet, a stuffed chicken, a salmon, and a vegetarian entree, and each one was incredible. (My mother held off turning in her response card for weeks because she couldn't decide which one she'd liked the best at the tastings!) Sarah and Louis also worked diligently to create a wedding menu that was gluten-free, from hors d'oeuvres through the cakes, to accommodate my husband's dietary needs. I don't think that anyone would have realized that the menu was gluten-free if they didn't know already--a very impressive achievement in a party where cake plays a big role.

The night was beautifully organized, and there was never a hitch in service. Each course was perfectly timed, the bartenders kept pace with very thirsty guests on a very hot day, and we never felt rushed or pressured--everything just went with the flow of the party. Brandon also hosted a casual brunch for our party the next morning, which was full of delicious food and laid-back conversation.

The staff was so accommodating of our large party and last minute requests. (Need a place to host a cocktail hour the night before? Sure, you can use our pub! And we're happy to distribute these gift bags for you! And move our regular brunch time back for your large party! And set up your place cards, and gift table, and favors, and rearrange the tables when people cancel at the last moment, etc. etc.) On the day of the wedding, we knew all of the staff by name, and it felt like we were being hosted by old family friends.

If you're looking to celebrate your wedding or special event in a place and with a staff that you can absolutely trust, I cannot recommend the Brandon Inn highly enough. It was a perfect day. The staff at the Brandon well exceeded my expectations, and my husband and I look forward to returning for years to come.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I led a bicycle tour through Central Vermont and my group stayed here for a number of reasons, but I wouldn't again. On the plus side, it's centrally located in a pleasant small town, has a very spacious public area downstairs, the rooms are large and generally well appointed, although there is no TV and no pen/paper. They do provide 2 glasses and a small carafe of sweet sherry on the room desk.

Other comments mentioned 'creepy', etc., but I expect those were all written in off-season when there were very few guests. It is in fact a large, rambling old inn, and I can see how some would feel that way. They don't seem big on maintenance - there are 2 dozen tiles loose around the pool and it looks like it's been that way for years - a lawsuit in the making. The bottom of my room door stuck badly and when I mentioned it was told it was the humidity. My reply was, well yues, but there's humidity every summer and that's no reason not to fix it. I was disappointed, but not surprised, that they made no attempt to fix it during the day. There have been comments about the elevator, but it's simply an old one that must be manually operated and I can understand that. Actually, it looks like it was retrofitted into an existing stairwell, which is uglier for it.

My general feeling was that it was way too expenive and I was dissatisfied with the dinner we had one of the nights we were in town - the other evening some of us went to the excellent nearby Provence restaurant. The waitress was pleasant, but didn't communicate much, although that may be mandated by management. She never asked if we wanted drinks, although she was also serving as barkeep. Salads, loaded with a gloppy mayonaise-based dressing (?), were silently laid down in front of us with no option to request dressing on the side, not that it would have improved the salad much. We had to order steak, salmon or chicken in advance, and these were brought out with no option to select how you wished the steak cooked. I thought my steak was a poor cut, but those with salmon seemed to like it. A number of folks said it felt like a wedding meal, which I gather is their specialty.

Lynn, who works the front desk days during the week, was OK to deal with and seemed willing to help my guests when asked.

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank BostonSculpt
Reviewed April 25, 2009

I stayed here because I was traveling on business and this was the only place that had a room in the area. The price was fair and the hospitality was pleasant. What a beautiful place! Upon checking in, I was told I would be staying on the third floor in Room 305. I inquired about the history of this old inn, as it is so grand that it must have its own story to tell. I nervously laughed at the response and said that I hoped the history doesn't keep me up all night. The halls were eerie and the room pleasant but spooky. A nice touch was the carafe of sherry in the room. Little did I know, I needed it. I slept well until I had an experience that I never thought I would have. I paid for a single room but there was a guest that visited from the other side. It wasn't malevolent, just stuck there. It scared me to death but now I believe.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank CallItLikICit
Reviewed October 20, 2008

A co-worker and I were required to travel to Brandon for business.

Brandon is a small town and there were not a lot of choices, the Brandon Inn website made the hotel sound like a gem. Unfortunately, it did not deliver.

The Inn has a historic charm to it as you drive up, plenty of parking and the lobby is beautiful. We then went upstairs to see the rooms before heading out for dinner.

The room was charming but then on closer inspection was found not to be very clean. The room had been made up however the garbage had not been emptied and the floor was dirty.

The clerk appeared inexperienced and wanted to know the exact time that we would be having breakfast. The clerk further warned us that there was an eleven o’clock curfew. The hotel has no night people and secures the door at 11.

I advised the owner that the room was not very clean and the room was vacuumed, however the garbage was never emptied.

On our second night, we had a business meeting and would possibly be later than eleven. We advised the clerk and were informed that a rear door would be left unlocked. After arriving back at 11:55 we found the door locked and had to get the assistance of the Brandon police to wake the owner.

Not a huge deal but there is no televisions in the hotel rooms.

OK Bad hotel but a beautiful town, the people are great and welcomed us to their town. Would go back to the area in a heartbeat, just not the Brandon Inn.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank travelinstead
Reviewed July 21, 2008

The Brandon Inn is a delightful place. I've been there three times and plan to return next spring. The innkeepers are wonderful, the food is delicious and the rooms are lovely. In addition, the town is quaint and fun to explore. I could not think of a better place to visit.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brandon
Middlebury Inn
Shoreham Inn
Shoreham Inn
#1 of 3 in Shoreham
The Mountain Top Inn & Resort

Been to Brandon Inn? Share your experiences!