“Great space. So-so food.”

Millwaters Country Grille and Tavern
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Stone Mill Tavern is located in the Historical Bradford Mill building at 48 Main Street, Bradford, VT.
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Millwaters is in a converted mill with wonderful views of the river. There are several tables outside that would be terrific on a warm summer evening. The interior maintains much of the feel of an old mill with heavy timbers and some massive hardware. There is a small bar as you enter with tables along windows overlooking the rushing river. A couple of steps up offers a second dining area a little removed from the bar that looks to be a bit quieter. They have a nice wine list with several wines by the glass. They pour a generous and fair glass, not the thimble size that one finds more and more frequently. The menu is varied, leaning toward Italian, with daily specials. There is also a very reasonable burger menu. I ordered shrimp and asparagus scampi which I requested over rice. There was meager asparagus, but there were lots of shrimp. The tails were left on the shrimp, which is nice in a shrimp cocktail, but messy in a cream sauce when you've got to dive in to clean them. The tails were very dificult to remove, as well - tiny victims of clumsy prep. The rice was woefully under cooked. Bread was good and was served with top notch olive oil with herbs. A side salad was blah, but with crispy, freashly prepared croutons. My partner was very happy with a salmon burger and fries. Fries were fine, but somewhat stuck together. A side of their "signature" slaw was small, but excellent. All in all a very uneven meal. Its a terrific space, let's hope they get it together.

1  Thank CCfood

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I had been to the restaurant several times when it was the Perfect Pear and had been disappointed every time, so when I met some former colleagues for lunch under the new ownership, I didnt get my hopes up for a good dining experience. I was pleasantly surprised!
First, the restaurant was immaculate as was the mens room..which was a good sign.
The food was average..I opted for a tuna melt and the only disappointment was that they served the tuna salad on top of lettuce, which I have never had in a tuna melt.
So, of coarse, when they melted the cheese it did a number on the lettuce, rendering it soggy.
Our server was attentive and attended to all of our needs efficiently.
I will definitely go back again! Prices were quite reasonable and they catered to a couple of special requests with no attitude!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

You will not be disappointed at this restaurant. Everything about it rocks!!! The atmosphere and décor is very beautiful and gives an inviting and comfortable feel. The staff is extremely nice. The owner is very personable. Now for the food---I can't say enough!! We had the salmon and bison burger. The tastes were out of this world. So many flavors blended together that compliment each other. The burger tasted like eating a steak. The salmon was to die for! Even the side dishes were extraordinary! Their coleslaw had kale in it and it was excellent!! You will NOT be disappointed. I live about 5 hours away from this place and we will probably drive just to eat here---THAT'S how good it is!! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the prices are great too! ENJOY!

1  Thank Bunny V
Reviewed October 12, 2013

A nice October day to drive up I-91 and in Bradford head for the Farmway store to mingle with leafpeepers among the astounding line of products in the store. It's a fine place to "window shop" for a while, and we left before noon to have lunch at the Millwaters Grill just off Route 5 in Bradford.

We decided to sit outside overlooking the river and the broad expanse of the Bradford Golf Course. A little foliage enhanced the whole thing.

I decided on a "BLT", which was Brie cheese, smoked turkey breast, lettuce and tomato on toasted sourdough bread. I ordered a side of carrot kale slaw also. My wife had a caprese salad over linguini. My drink choice was a glass of Malbec.

The food was very good and presented in an attractive way. The sandwich was tasty and was substantial enough to provide a challenge opening one's mouth wide enough to take a bite. The slaw was a bit different, but it too was tasty.

The service was prompt and friendly, although the large holiday type crowd kept the waitpersons on their toes. All the outside tables were filled while we were eating.

A very pleasant experience.

1  Thank SullivanNewHampshire
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is a must when in the area. The food is delicious and the sitting outside, next to the river can't be beat. The staff is friendly. I've been here a few times and clean my plate every time! Save room for desert!

1  Thank Catclops