“Best food since we left Europe!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Morgan's Bane Steakhouse
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Bondville
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Manchester, Vermont
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food since we left Europe!”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We ate at Morgan's Bane last year, and it was stupendous. I hope they still have the same chef, I have been able to afford to go back yet, but I want to! The dining room was lovely, but the food was incredible. The meat is very expensive, because it is so much higher quality than the crap restaurants in America usually serve. My husband is a French chef, and we lived in Paris for 8 years before moving back to the US. He is nearly impossible to take to an American restaurant, because he can tell if things have been microwaved, or pre-packaged, etc. This meal was the ONLY time I have taken him to an American restaurant in our 8 years back in the US that he liked everything. I thought he was going to lick the plate! The meat was cooked to perfection, the sauces were just right, and the desserts out of this world. I wish I could afford to go more often!

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank parisgrinnellian

Westport, Connecticut
“A premium Steak House has to be more than just expensive”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I didn't stay here, just dined at Morgan's Bane steak house. As background, I'd really like this place to succeed. Stratton needs more restaurants, and more lodging. But as someone who comes to Vermont often from New York, I get really tired of feeling like we just got robbed.

Why is it that a glass of scotch costs almost double what it does in most restaurants? Or that steak ranges from $30 to $50? Yes, I know about their special almost-Kobe beef, but even good old-fashioned filet mignon is at the top end of what NYC restaurants charge.

What do you get for the money? The food is decent, but every request we made was turned down, ignored or nearly forgotten. Pink steak, please? (Nope, red.) Rice instead of potatoes? (No rice.) Steamed vegetables instead of grilled? (No steamer.) How about a soda? (15 minutes later.)

If you want to charge premium prices, provide premium service. Frankly, I'd rather have good food for a good price. This place has promise - it's far better than what was there before - but I really have a bad feeling, and that's not what you want from a night out.

NJ
“Steakhouse is horrible”
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We are always looking for new and upscale restaurants around Stratton so were excited to try Morgan Bane's Steakhouse in this hotel. It seemed to have a nice ambience. Right off the bat the service was slow. (And the restaurant was practically empty. We ordered drinks and then nothing happened. Finally the waiter came back with the drinks after an interminable wait. We ordered dinner and again everything was slow. For two of us the food was cold. The waiter brought it back to kitchen and blamed it on the fact that the kitchen was " a long way away". This needless to say took a long time. My sons kids meal, was not even edible and he is not a picky eater. He ordered chicken parm and frankly all it was, was a full chicken breast slapped on a grille or something with no cheese. The pasta sauce was the worst we ever had. Finally to top things off, when the bill came it had an automatic 20% gratuity added to the top because we had 7 people, 4 of which were children. If you are going to add a 20% gratuity on top of the full bill (including the tax) you better ensure top notch service, and this was not even close. A couple of meals were okay but this bill ran me over $400!

2 Thank pubmitz