“We had to leave”

Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.
Ranked #4 of 4 Bondville B&B and Inns
West Hartford, Connecticut
“We had to leave”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We bought the Groupon for this place and attempted to stay there this past weekend (9/14-9/16). We arrived late after driving up from Connecticut. The staff seemed very friendly, but I knew that there was going to be an issue when the man who checked us in explained that they are promoting this Groupon in order to get some cash flow going to fix things up. We were put in the "Ruby" room, and we did not see the other rooms, so there could be better rooms. This room, however, was horrendous. It had clearly been last updated in the 1970s, so the excuse that this inn is 150 years old doesn't really work - if the decor were authentic to it's era, that would be very different.

To be more specific, our complaints include the sagging "popcorn" ceiling that had numerous large water stains and cracks; the brown stain on the otherwise attractive white comforter; the yellow 70s toilet that appeared to have algae growing in it; the tiled shower full of cracked tile and apparently supported by recently added, still unpainted and unfinished 2x4s; the tiny window that had been left open with no screen, allowing numerous flies to accumulate on the aforementioned ceiling.

Perhaps if I were younger and had less money and experience, I would have just made do. But when I realized that I stayed at nicer youth hostels in third world countries, I decided that going somewhere else, even though it was ten o'clock at night, just made sense. We had to get out of there to be able to relax and enjoy our vacation.

Although we ended up spending more than twice what we had planned for the vacation, it was so worth it to feel comfortable and not disgusted when we looked around our room.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the "Ruby" room - I don't know about the other rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ph1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I can easily see that the location directly across from Stratton Mountain must make this a very popular sleepover destination in the winter, but we had the unique experience of staying here in the hot summer. While our Groupon opportunity saved us considerable cash and made our stay very affordable, it was admittedly a bit of an isolated feeling to stay here off- season. The lodge was empty but for our own reservation and possibly one other. When we arrived to check-in, there were no lights on, which was a little disconcerting. There was a skeleton staff on hand, and the advertised tavern was closed, but I have to say that the proprietor kindly refunded us $20 for the inconvenience. I was very impressed with that gesture.

Our room (the "diamond" room) was VERY large; we loved that. There were crispy clean linens on our bed - very important. We had air conditioning, a flat screen TV, a leather couch with a fur rug in front of it and an incredibly beautiful, functional stone fireplace. Definitely good ambiance for romance. A tour of the facility revealed an abandoned attached club which looked like it had great potential. Inside were three bars, a performing stage, DJ booth, and a considerably sized dance floor. I'm sure that this is the perfect spot for a snowboarder in peak season at the end of a long day on the slopes.

However, to be honest, there were a few minor noticed issues that did not deter us but, since repairs were in progress and workers present daily, I expect they will be all fixed by the end of the summer, anyway. Here are our observed issues: There was an outlet in our room with no switch plate on it; no big deal but definitely not something you would find in a Marriott. I don't know if the fan in the bathroom was working because the knob was missing. Again, not a big deal, but something I would report to the concierge if I were staying in a fancy hotel. There was a hole in the wall possibly from a prior customer, but someone took the time to cover it with a wooden plate. I wouldn't have known about the hole except that it was so low on the wall, that the position of the hanging plate was curious so I looked behind it and found the hole. I also noticed a stain on the wall that looked like it could have been made by a male dog (?) Also, the white upholstery on the chair in our room was stained. I suspect a lot of these minor observances were a result of wild partying from the busy season last year. I hope that those who make these seasonal repairs just have a little catching up to do.

One last comment that I think may have been a result of our off-season booking, was that the breakfast which was supposed to be included in our booking was definitely sub-par in comparison to other motels/hotels/B&B's. We were offered dry cereal, (Fruit Loops or Cheerios) white bagels or white english muffins. Choosing to avoid any of those options, my husband and I opted for coffee only with the intention to go elsewhere. OK, but when we asked for a second cup of coffee before heading out for the day, we were told that there would be a charge. Definitely NOT typical policy.

Would we stay here again? Hmm..... Well for the Groupon price, definitely yes. Our twenty-something kids stopped by to visit and said they would DEFINITELY stay during the winter season. So there you have it - young winter ski/snowboard types, say definitely yes. Picky, older folks touring VT in summer might find it a tad less fancy than the four or five star places they may prefer. But when the price is right...

1 Thank Sally M
Florence, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed in the Opal Room. The room was exactly like it was pictured on the web site. The bed was so comfortable I wanted to take it home. The staff was absolutely the friendliest staff in any place I have ever stayed. Wish we could have started a fire in our fireplace, but it was warm out. We did have air conditioner in our room and used it only one night. Wish there was a screen on the window, but no bugs bothered us. Plenty of parking. Great tavern, food was awesome, much better than I expected. Great entertainment. DJ on Friday night, fantastic band on Saturday night. Staff helped direct us to a fabulous spring fed, man made lake that we made a point of walking around everyday. So absolutely beautiful. Staff was more than friendly, they felt like family from the moment we arrived. We are going to buy another groupon and can't wait to go again. I would like to try the Onyx or Diamond room this time. But if not available, would take Opal again in a heartbeat. Best place for the money I have ever stayed.

Continental breakfast was fabulous. We even arrived late and were welcomed with open arms and brought out office and whatever else we wanted. They went above and beyond to please us. And they did.

Only issue was light outside were not always on at night and trash outside needed to be cleared daily.

1 Thank Joyce M
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I really don't like to leave bad reviews because the staffs were very nice but the hotel needs better maintenance and updates! I usually sleep very well. Not this time though. People from upstairs had very heavy steps. I woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep because it's just too loud! Don't expect the breakfast would be fancy because there are only English muffins and coffee - and it won't be served until 8:30am. We were planning to leave the lodge at 8am but without coffee I just can't function so my schedule was delayed :(

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TheMusicCat
Jeffrey G, General Manager at Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn., responded to this review, September 6, 2012
One of the main things to remember with our inn is that we are 150 years old. We are working diligently to correct any problems that our guests bring to our attention. The one main issue that we are looking into is better sound proofing the rooms. However, as with any old building, it is a difficult task that takes time. If you are concerned about being woken up at night, I would recommend that one request a room on the second floor. As far as our breakfast, this has been something that we have been looking at to either improve or to remove from our services. When I check in any guest, I let them know that we do offer a very limited breakfast in the morning, but if they require something more substantial, there is a great breakfast place directly across the street from our inn.

Travelers are raving about these Bondville hotels

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My GF and I stayed at Stone's Lodge from August 6 to August 9 2012, as we had purchased a 3 night Groupon package.

The first thing I am going to tell anyone reading this review is: if you are expecting a five-star Hilton, then you had better book somewhere else. The building is old and the current owners are well aware of it's shortcomings. They are trying their level best to update the Lodge a piece at a time, as time and staff permit.

As with all of our accommodations, we had no expectations about what sort of room we would be getting. Our requirements are simply that it be clean and functional. Having said that, I will tell you that the room we had was very clean (and kept that way during our stay) and spacious, not to mention a VERY comfy bed!! All of the fixtures in the bathroom were working and clean. The only thing I could have asked for was a hair dryer. The room was always quiet and we were never disturbed by any other occupants.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were all extremely friendly and always happy to have a chat with you. Above all else, they want you to enjoy your stay at the lodge and will do whatever it takes to rectify any issue you might have. We didn't have any complaints, but one guest that was checking in had a problem and the General Manager (Jeff) personally helped relocate this fellow...and he was on his night off!

The location is fantastic for hiking and scenic drives. If you take the time to have a decent conversation with the staff, they are more than happy to give you directions to points of interest in the area that you won't find in the brochures. That;s the kind of thing that makes a great vacation, in my book.

We ate at the restaurant/tavern at the Lodge (called The Fat Spy) 2 of our three nights. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is always friendly and homey. If you are going to visit, make sure you are there for burger night on Monday...they were incredibly delicious! The prices were more reasonable that most restaurants we could find in Manchester Center, and we had the added bonus of great company while not having to worry about driving after a couple of drinks.

My hat goes off to Jeff (General Manager), Steve (Bar Manager), Travis (Asst. Innkeeper), and Shawn (sorry dude, I don't know your title). They were all very friendly and it wouldn't have been the same vacation without them!

We will definitely be going back to Stone's Lodge.

I hope this review helps anyone who reads it.

Cheers!

8 Thank Bill D
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We booked a three night package through Groupon and stayed in late July of this year. The room had no air conditioning. When we opened the windows, there was no screens. Who said Vermont has no mosquitos? There was one small CF light in the room and no light near the bed. The bath was adequate, had all the requisite appliances but the light in the small shower stall was out. Not an impossible problem, just dark.

The desk was unmanned and we had to check ourselves in and out. One night the outside lights were out and we passed the place twice before finding it. I didn't think it was worth complaining about at the time since we spent most of the time in the surrounding environment, which was worth the trip. But the room was not worth the reasonably low price we paid.

Room Tip: Ask basic questions before you book.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Les D
Wilmington, Vermont
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Stones Lodge and we had a fantastic time. Our room was freshly painted and it was comfortable and clean. We had an air-conditioner in our room. Staff was very friendly. For breakfast we had home made blueberry muffins! At Stones Lodge, they make their own bread, muffins, and burger buns for their $6! burgers. Food at the Fat Spy Tavern was delicious. Service was bit slowly but Tavern was full with guests both nights, so that was OK. In the evening, outside at the porch, they lit a pit fire, and we enjoyed good local beer and great atmosphere. We will be coming back!

Room Tip: We stayed at Sapphire room. We also saw Pearl, and that is nice one too
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank chantal c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bondville
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#1 of 4 in Bondville
Three Mountain Inn
Three Mountain Inn
#3 of 4 in Jamaica

Been to Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.

Property: Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn.
Address: 1 River Road, Bondville, VT 05340
Location: United States > Vermont > Bondville
Bar / Lounge Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 4 B&Bs / Inns in Bondville
Hotel Class:3 star — Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn. 3*
(Currently closed for renovations.) Property Amenities: Stone's Lodge under Mt. Stratton features multilingual staff, individually designed rooms & the restaurant. For a surcharge, an airport shuttle is available to guests. This Bondville lodge also offers express check-in and a pool table. Business services and wedding services can be provided. Onsite parking is complimentary. Stone's Lodge under Mt. Stratton is a smoke-free property. * Business services * Billiards or pool table * Airport transportation (surcharge) * Pool table * Number of rooms: 20 * Number of floors: 2 * Parking (surcharge) * Banquet facilities * Express check- in * Multilingual staff * Parking (free) * Year Built 1974 * Smoke-free property * Number of buildings/towers 1 * Wedding services. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Stone's Lodge under Stratton Mtn. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Stone`s Lodge Under Stratton Mtn. Hotel Bondville