“i would never stay here again”

and 1 more site!
The Inn Bolton Valley & Ski Area
Reviewed February 22, 2010

My family and I wanted to go to Vermont for a couple of days to sight see and tours. I chose the best western hotel but that was all filled. I had never stayed at this "resort" before but it sounded good from their website wich boasts lift side lodging, restaurants and a sports complex with a pool and jacuzzi, game room,basketball court and other amenities. For starters, they wouldn't let me put 5 people in a room for a one night stay so i had to pay around $200.00 per room wich ended up being around $400.00 and we weren't even getting lift tickets to ski. The bed spread had a disgusting stain on it. My husband couldn't sleep all night because of the snow cats outside the window. My son wanted to use the pool but when we arrived, we discovered that it closes at 8:00p.m. most other family resorts I've been to haven't closed until 10:00p.m. The pool was also very small and the jacuzzi had no water in it. The so called "game room" was a joke. There was approx. 3 video games and all of them were out of order. Also, we were told that we would recieve a complimentary continental breakfast, we were willing to pay to get a decent breakfast for the kids (pancakes,eggs,waffles etc..) but niether of the restaurants at this resort even offer breakfast, so we had to all settle for cold cereal or bagels. This hotel will never be placed on my favorites list!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank shadow2010

Reviewed October 13, 2009

My daughter and I needed a place to stay close to Norwich University. Bolton Valley Resort fit our needs just right, just under 40 minutes. Not knowing the surrounding area, and wanting a place to relax after our drive so we ate dinner at the lodge. The Tavern's fireplace gave the dining area warmth and a great cozy felling. And, the food was quite good. Caramelized onions with Apple cider made a suprisingly good soup. The service was great too. Plenty of towles, pillows, blankets were provided in our room. The linenes and beds were nice, as well. We slepts great. Our breakfast vouchers got us coffee, hot chocolate and more, fresh fruit, muffins, bagels and more...plenty. It was a nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2009

I went to the Bolton Valley Resort with my ski club one weekend in early January. My roommate and I arrived late (it was about an 8-hour drive). It was easy to check in and we had a nice, big room. However, there were three of us in this room. When I inquired about a discount, the front desk said they already gave us a group rate based on double occupancy. Still, the room was clean, large and pleasant with a balcony and a view of the ski lift.

On Friday night, after we arrived, two of us went to the bar to unwind. I got there around 10:30 and the bar was getting ready to close at 11. I wondered what kind of resort closes its bar this early when there is no place else to go? The resort is isolated at the top of a mountain road and it's about 10 miles from the closest tiny town that didn't seem to have any businesses either.

There were a few local people in the bar, so the bartender did stay open till about 11:30 for the few customers who were there.

The resort told us that breakfast was served only from 7 to 8 a.m., again somewhat inconvenient hours for travelers. However, the breakfast buffet was good: waffles, hot and cold cereals and toast (although one toaster with four slots can be a time-consuming wait when there's a group.) It was extremely cold that morning, so we went back to our rooms and waited until about 10 a.m. to ski.

Our club has both downhill and cross-country skiers. I believe the downhill skiers liked the slopes. Nordic skiers had a bit of a challenge to get to the trails, though. We had to walk about 100 yards to get to the Nordic center. The only way to get there from the hotel was to walk downhill through the icy, snowy parking lot because there was no separate walkway. I was worried about losing my footing and falling into the path of a car that was trying to find a parking place. At times, the resort had one or two staffers to direct traffic, but it was a narrow driveway and a small parking lot. Skiers on their way uphill to the slopes or to the Nordic Center were supposed to walk off to the side behind traffic cones.

When we reached the Nordic center, I went inside to sign up and get a trail map. We were given $5 coupons to apply to the $17 trail fee (very steep price), but the staffers at the desk told us we couldn't use the coupons even though it said, "good any day throughout the 2008-2009 season." They said we had to use the coupons at the time of purchase! But our trail passes were purchased in advance by our group leader and the coupons came separately. There was no way of knowing that we couldn't use the coupons.

That's a poor policy not to honor the coupons and I should have put up a fuss, considering we were here for the first time and came from several hundred miles away!

The trails were groomed, but icy and I had trouble negotiating them, even though I stayed on the trails marked for beginners or intermediates. Most resorts do leave some part of the trails ungroomed, depending on your preference or for snowshoers, too. Bolton Valley had only one or two "wilderness" trails that were left snow-covered. They went through the woods and were marked expert. But you couldn't get to them without tackling the icy trails first.

I also thought the trail maps were too small and hard to read. Basically, there is one main trail (Broadway) and all the other trails feed off it. Often times you didn't notice there was an intersecting trail until after you passed the small signs.

On Saturday night, however, the resort got about five inches of fresh snow and the skiing on Sunday was fantastic. I got out early before the trails were groomed and I could control my skis in the turns.

The Nordic Center also has a small swimming pool. The children using it on Saturday morning said the water was cold. I didn't try the pool because I didn't want to come out of a heated room and walk that far back to the hotel at night (uphill) in temperatures close to zero.

Another plus: the food. The hotel gave our group a good buffet dinner on Saturday night and the wait staff was friendly and attentive.

I heard that the hotel had recently been taken over by a "local" group of owners, but based on my experience with the young people at the front desk and the staff at the Nordic center, there was nobody in charge who could make a decision to help correct a customer's dissatisfaction. Some of my friends complained also about a lack of hot water in the bathroom, but I was very satisfied with my room. I was disappointed that the hotel didn't have any computers for use by the guests.

The trail fees were way too high considering the poor economy this year. Where I live in New York State, we always have plenty of snow and free ski trails, so I felt the trip to Vermont was a hassle.

• Stayed: January 2009
3  Thank UpstateNYUtica_NY
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Got a great deal at this place for an early season ski and stay. The place is very nice, there was nothing "Yuck" about it. The room was everythign i expected, I wasn't looking for a 5 star room, i knew what to expect of a small ski resort. The room was big, the bed was big, had a nice little balcony. All you have to do is wake up and walk out the door to the mountain. The James Moore Tavern is a great place to hang out, the food is awesome, they have a nice beer selection with alot of local brews, and the staff was very friendly and personable. We just happened to be there at the right time because a rep from the Long Trail Brewery was there giving away free Long Trail swag and he also bought everyone a round who was drinking Long Trail. Overall, we had a great time at Bolton Valley and would definately consider making it a yearly trip!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BostonHenny4
Reviewed September 30, 2007

This hotel is awful. Everything is broken, Hot tub is out of order. Restaurant is expensive and not good. Service is rude.When we spoke to the manager she didn't seem to care and didn't offer anything to make us happier. Walls are thin. Rooms are really small. Water pressure is weak. Not fun at $170/night.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank laurenann247
Reviewed July 2, 2007

We chose to stay at the Bolton Valley ski resort for one night of a northeastern US summer road trip based on its mention in an "Off the Beaten Path" guidebook. It would probably be a fine place for a winter stay if you were a back-to-basics skiier, but in the summer we got the impression that we were intruders in a place where outsiders were an inconvenience. The plastic chairs on our tiny balcony, which had a view of the parking lot, were covered with bird droppings. There was no air conditioning, which might normally be fine in the mountains, but Vermont was experiencing a 90+ degree heat wave when we were there. The sliding screen door latch didn't work, so we hesitated to leave the glass door open overnight. During the summer on weeknights, there is no one at the front desk after 6:00 pm, just a posted emergency number for "security," so asking for a room change wasn't an option by the time we returned from dinner (miles away) and discovered the problems. When we checked out, the desk clerk appeared annoyed that I asked for a paid receipt, and neither of the two people behind the desk asked how our stay was (I did leave a written list of our concerns in the comment envelope provided in the room). Of the seven different places we stayed during our trip, this was the only disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RoadDuo2
Reviewed October 6, 2006

We booked a room at this “resort” (notice the quotes—I’ll get to that in a minute) through Hotels.com because we were traveling through Vermont and wanted to stay near Stowe. Hotels.com told us the hotel was 7 miles outside of Stowe (they said there were no vacancies for Stowe itself). We were tired, traveling with a young child and wanting a hotel where we could swim, eat and go to bed. Hotels.com claimed the hotel had a restaurant, and a heated indoor pool.

Well, we arrived at the hotel to find that the restaurant was closed for the season, the heated indoor pool was in a heated room, but the pool itself was not heated (daughter turned blue and chattering after 3 mins in water) The pool room itself was moldy—there was black mold in the grout all along the pool’s caulking and the cement floor was seriously scary. Our bed was hoisted up on cinder blocks so it wouldn’t fall off the broken bed frame, the coverlet was stained and sticky, the screen door did not close tightly and mosquitoes swarmed our room all night long (no air conditioning, so we left the door open for air). So we decided to travel the 7 miles into Stowe to find another hotel—that 7 miles was actually 20+ miles!.

I looked at some of the hotel’s literature on their ski trails and they do have quite a set-up for the backcountry skier. I would recommend this place for someone who would be outside the entire time and didn’t much care what kind of bed, or facilities were waiting for them on their return for skiing all day—but I would not recommend this “resort” for anyone who is actually looking for a resort!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waterbury Stowe
Northern Lights Lodge
Northern Lights Lodge
#11 of 24 in Stowe

Been to The Inn Bolton Valley & Ski Area? Share your experiences!