“Mel's Flank Steak Special...”

Madison Brewing Co. Brew Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Bennington
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Madison family has deep roots in the Bennington, Vermont. As locals growing up and living in the area, the Madison's have deep ties to the community and in the early 1990's the family decided to purchase what was then a burned out storefront in Bennington's historic downtown, and convert it into the area's first brew pub. "My brother Mark was part of the inspiration" says co-owner Mel Madison. "He become passionate about brewing beer as a hobby... And that let us to the idea of starting a brew pub." From those humble beginnings, the brewery has developed six regular brews plus a seasonal brew. To complement the brewing is the lunch and dinner offerings as well as Madison's own home-made chips - a favorite at the bar or anyplace. Now into its second decade of operation, the brew pub has become a Bennington fixture and a favorite amongst the locals. We encourage you to stop in and discover for yourself everything Madison's Brewing Company has to offer!
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've been a patron of Madison's for years and have tried almost everything on the menu. I'm a good cook myself and this is where I go to eat when I want to feel pampered. The service is always tops and whether you're dressed up or down you'll feel right at home.
One of tonight's specials was marinated flank steak with smoked gouda mashed potatoes and veggies. I ordered it rare and when it arrived, it was plated beautifully.I always love the food here and this combo was amazing. The smoky mashed potatoes played off the perfectly cooked steak's marinade to a "T" and the veggies (julienne carrots and zucchini) were perfect with just the right amount of crunch.
I have a few dietary concerns, and after years of eating here I can confidently say that the entire staff is well versed in their menu and accomodating.

P.S. If you're looking for a quick snack their ale fries are to die for.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

While wandering Bennington Vermont today, went to the Madison Brewing Co for lunch on the advise of the gentleman at the Art Center. Started with the beer special, a vanilla bourbon porter - very good. My husband ordered the "Brewers Dozen" (mussels) for a starter. Now he loves mussels and has eaten them all over the world. Our waitress brought out a large bowl with mussels in what looked like a thick white gravy. It was accompanied by a loaf of warm bread. She also brought me a small plate. I thought I'd try one, and actually I only ate one letting him have the mussels but I ate most of the bread and the sauce. It was one of the most wonderful tastes I've ever had. They could probably sell it without the mussels - it was that good. I had also ordered the turkey cranberry melt which was also wonderful but I couldn't do it justice after the mussels. Worth the trip.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Good beer but wasnt pleased with food, could be better prefered to eat across the st at Carmody's restaurant! Its nice inside but not crazy about there menu either, havent gone back.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I've gone to this restaurant 3 times now and I will never go back. The first time I was the only person sitting at the bar and was completely ignored by the bartender.

The second time I went it was 8:30 on a Thursday night (it happened to be college night in Bennington). Myself and three friends walked in expecting to spend plenty of money. We were told when we walked in we would not be served because everyone was "just trying to get out of there" for the night. There were several people sitting at the bar still, and they had a musician playing music. I told them we were planning on spending money and ordering several drinks, but they didn't seem to care.

The last time I went, again, at 8:30 pm I was refused service. Again, there were several people in the bar, the doors were unlocked, the specials menu was still outside. No indication they were in the process of 'closing'. When I told the server that this was the third bad experience I had I was told "well, then you need to come out earlier" in an incredibly sarcastic tone as I was practically shoved out the door. It was only 8:30.

Clearly customers are not a priority for them. I will never go back.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We had seen some reviews that said this place had "typical pub grub", but the menu online seemed so much better than that. So glad we tried it! The hummus plate is fantastic and come with plenty of veggies, warm pitas and olives. The pale ale was very nice. It is my way of judging a brew pub, if they care enough to get the basic bitter right they know what they are doing. For the sandwich I had blackened salmon burger with chipotle sauce. Awesome. My wife was very happy with her huge salad complete with field greens walnuts, cranberries and Vermont cheddar and a cool maple vinaigrette. I also noticed a lot of people ordering the bison meatloaf that looked incredible. If I lived closer to this place we would be going all the time.