“Worst Breakfast in Bennington”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sunny Side Diner

Sunny Side Diner
Ranked #13 of 75 Restaurants in Bennington
Cuisines: American, Diner, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bennington, Vermont
“Worst Breakfast in Bennington”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I decided to give this place a chance after it came under new ownership. Bad idea. Our sever started us with weak, tepid coffee in mugs that were both chipped on the rim. Little did we know that the hard ceramic chips in the bottom of our coffee mugs would be the tastiest thing we ate there.

My order of two eggs over medium with rye toast and crispy home fries seemed easy enough to prepare. Not quite. My eggs were cooked through, practically fried, with a hard overcooked yolk. The toast was mushy and cold, and the home fries seems that they had been warmed up from a big surplus pot in the back of the house. I ate half of one egg, a bite of toast, and one potato. My husband ordered the "Everything Omelet, " with sausage, bacon, swiss and an assortment of veggies with cottage cheese on the side. His omelet looked and tasted like something one would be served at a refuge camp. The sausage and bacon pieces were roughly the size of cucumber seeds and just as tasteless, and the veggies were undercooked. The eggs were undercooked and drippy and there was barley enough cheese to even taste it. The cottage cheese was pretty good, but then again, they did not make that!

Our server never bothered to check on us to find out if everything was OK and left us sitting there for at least 15 minutes once it was clear that we had finished eating. I had to flag her down to get the check. She walked by and tossed the check on the table without even looking at us or saying anything. The check landed on my severely overcooked egg, at least it got a proper burial.

We went upfront to pay and were neither asked how our meal was nor given any of the normal pleasantries that one expects when dining out. My husband and I eat out frequently in Bennington and have done so for the past 6 years. We love many places including Papa Petes, The Blue Benn, Bennington Station, Ramuntos, and Powers Market to name a few. My husband and I tried this restaurant before when it was "Full Bellies." We did not like it then either. They say they have a new owner, but based on the food and the eerily similar menu choices my guess is that Full Bellies was going under, they slapped a DIY paint job on the place, got a new sign and prayed for a miracle. Well God's not listening.

• Visited November 2012