“Very Uneventful.......”

The Bennington Center for the Arts
Ranked #8 of 26 things to do in Bennington
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bennington Center for the Arts continually exhibits the work of many of the finest representational artists from around the country. In addition to the artwork in the Center's temporary exhibitions, all of which is for sale, The Bennington also has a very impressive permanent collection of Native American art (Navajo rugs, pots, katsinas, paintings of and by Native Americans) as well as bird carvings by Master Carver Floyd Scholz. The Bennington is also home to the Covered Bridge Museum. Visitors of all ages enjoy the exhibits and videos and use the information gathered to better enjoy their travels through these famous structures as they travel through Vermont.
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I was not impressed with this place....found it a bit staid..... Not too exciting.

Shirley H, Gallery Director at The Bennington Center for the Arts, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

I am sorry that you found our exhibits a bit serious for your taste. We are always very fortunate to have the support of many of the finest artists in the country but perhaps representational art is not what you were looking for. I do hope you were able to visit the Covered Bridge Museum and enjoy the bird carvings and Native American art as well. If you have any specific comments that we could address, know we would love the opportunity to do that.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

The paintings and artefacts were not particularly different from those in any small provincial museum. But the special section on covered bridges was totally fascinating, and kept us there for far longer than we intended.

5  Thank Barry B
Reviewed October 19, 2011

This facility encompasses both the art museum, performing arts complex and covered bridge museum in one. The museum has a very beautiful collection of art work. I was amazed by the display of birds carved from wood. The pieces were outstanding and so lifelike! The collection of American Indian art/artifacts was intriguing as well. It seemed somewhat strange to be viewing these pieces in New England, after having often traveled through the southwest. But nevertheless, it was a very nice exhibit! There are other paintings exhibited as well, I was entranced by several of them. The covered bridge section of the museum was interesting. Since I am a covered bridge fanatic, I enjoyed seeing the film on the history of the bridges as well as all of the exhibits and information displayed. The entire museum is just the right size for a visit, took us a little more than an hour to view; not too small, not too big. The museum employee was a nice young woman who appeared quite knowledgeable of the art displayed there. I would highly recommend a visit here, a visual delight!

2  Thank MSWMom50
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We really liked the art galleries, but the star was a fantastic place for lunch. Beautiful setting, we sat on the terrace, and the food was amazing.

2  Thank huntejk
Reviewed June 15, 2011

I think this museum is the best thing to see in Bennington, VT. The Covered Bridge Museum shows how covered bridge construction developed over time. The attached museum space houses a remarkable collection of native American subject paintings and sculptures. The carved bird collection is masterful . Each piece of work in the museum is a masterpiece. When I visited there was a special exhibit of animal subject art; another of small works. The art center houses a theatre enjoyed by locals. Most works are done by living artists. I was blown away by the quality of the art. Make a special effort to see this museum. It is worth a trip in inself. Think native Americans and birds are not of interest to you? You'll change your mind.

2  Thank maineexpl0rer