“Decent budget accommodation in a pricey location”
Review of Knotty Pine Motel

and 1 more site!
Knotty Pine Motel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Bennington
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I booked this motel online and chose Room #3. It turned out that rooms 1, 2 & 3 are within 30 feet of Route 7A so I heard some traffic noise in the morning. The rest of the rooms are further back and quieter.
The motel was easy to find about a mile north of Bennington town center. I was greeted at check in by the owner and her two friendly dogs.
Nice place. My bed was comfortable and everything worked including the A/C that night. Furnishings were simple and standard but included a desk where I could work. Wifi was strong. There are a few fast food and pizza restaurants within two or three blocks for late night snacking.
Good value in a place that can be outrageously expense.

• Stayed: September 2013
There are newer reviews for Knotty Pine Motel

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Our daughter is attending Bennington college, so we make the trip numerous times a year. Our last child, our Labrador retriever, had been left at home since none of the BNB's in the area take dogs. So we decided to try one of the local 'older' motels. The knotty pine was highly recommended and accepted dogs. So we arrived. Check in was unremarkable. Upon entering the room the odor of mildew was over powering. We met the people next door and there room was the same. I would have considered leaving but knew every where was booked. We opened the window with no improvement. The room was clean with all basic amenities. However the odor will keep me from staying there. I actually drove to the supermarket and bought a Febreze candle which after 8 hours improved the odor. The continental breakfast was very disappointing too. The pastries were stale, and the only other option were hard boiled eggs. I wanted to like the place but I am sorry to say I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DCE58
Reviewed September 26, 2013

If you find slanted floors, peeling wallpaper and rusty faucets charming, you will enjoy your stay at this motel. Our bed was comfortable and our stay was thankfully brief. I would not recommend this motel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed two nights this August. Clean room, friendly staff.
The room & furnishings are showing their age and the bathroom could use updating.
The t.v. is on the small side.
Still the best value we have experienced in Bennington, very quiet location.
Will stay again next time in the area.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have stayed at the Knotty Pine many times when travelling through Bennington. For starters you can't beat the value compared to the national brand hotels in the area. The rooms at the Knottty Pine are clean, cute, and have all the comforts of home (not to mention the continental breakfast). The vaule and clean rooms are important, but the warm welcome I receive every time I arrive at the Knotty Pine by owners Betsy and Ed is just pricless. They make me feel like family every time. I have spoke with other guests that have been coming back to the Knotty Pine for years and they say the same thing. " Can't beat the warm welcome we receive" I just want to thank Betsy and Ed for providing me with a home away from home after a long day.

Room Tip: All rooms are clean and comfee.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nancy J
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Room and all facilities were clean, and we were pleased with how quiet it was. Staying only one night and with much to unload as we embarked on a road trip, we liked being able to park right outside the door to our room. The outdated look that other reviewers described can be expected from a small, locally owned establishment, so we never downgrade a mom-and-pop for that because it's part of the charm of staying at such a place. If you want ultramodern, stay at a chain. And yes, the cost could have been lower for a a locally owned place, but it still is competitively priced given that the chains' nightly rates in the Bennington area also can be much higher. The Knotty Prine is in a handy location from which to visit sites of interest in this historic town, and several good restaurants, too. The lady working in the reception area was extremely friendly and helpful in giving directions and advice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
knottypine, Owner at Knotty Pine Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear D from MO,

Thank you for your kind and honest review! You said it so perfectly when you wrote, "If you want ultra modern, stay at a chain." The Knotty Pine has many modern amenities including wi-fi throughout the property, refrigerators and microwaves in all rooms, flat screen TV's, etc. but ultra modern decor is not what we are selling. In fact, as a Vermont business owner, born and bred, I like to think that is not what most people are or should be looking for when they travel to our beautiful state.

For over 40 years we've been about offering clean, comfortable and reasonably priced lodgings to travelers with a little something extra...character!

We look forward to seeing you on a return trip!
Warmest Regards, Betsy Bluto Woods, Innkeeper

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We visited the Knotty Pine a couple of years ago not much has changed,I think the room we had last time may have been newer this seemed to be a little older.My only real problem was the TV.My puter monitor is bigger.Was hard to see from the bed.Staff were very nice and pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bennington
Hampton Inn Bennington
#2 of 8 in Bennington
The Harwood Hill
The Harwood Hill
#3 of 8 in Bennington

Been to Knotty Pine Motel? Share your experiences!