“Great bakery and gift shop”

The Apple Barn and Country Bake Shop
Ranked #2 of 13 Shopping in Bennington
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is a good place to go for many different kinds of baked goods. They also sell fresh vegetables and fruit (apples, duh!). There's also a big variety of Vermont-themed gifts, from real maple syrup to cheese, t-shirts, hard cider, bird houses, and more. The staff were very friendly and gave us a lesson in the different grades of syrup. We picked some up for ourselves as well as for a gift. The shop is a little south of downtown Bennington, very easy to find, and worth checking out.

There are newer reviews for The Apple Barn and Country Bake Shop

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Cute little Vermont country store, bakery, fresh fruits and veggies and PYO fruit farm.This was my first visit in the summer usually we like to take a Fall day trip...but the apple cider donuts are to die for anytime of the year! There is much more hustle and bustle during the Fall season...fresh apples, corn stalks, beautiful fall foliage colors the whole nine-yards. But we had a very pleasant summer visit as well! Super friendly staff...and did I mention the apple cider donuts???!!! A must if you stop by!
Large gravel parking lot...so there is plenty of parking on-site.If you want to enjoy the outdoors there are plenty of picnic tables around the outside of the property for you to sit and enjoy your bakery purchases!

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Great fall trip. Every year we visit this shop and I will never get tired of it. We travel the Mohawk Trail evey year and when we get to Williamstown MA we always take RTE 7 into Bennington VT to stop here. They have a great variety of gifts, home-made pastries, cheese, candy, and fresh hade-picked fruits of the season. The staff is always friendly and helpful and it's just an all around terrific place to visit. The smell of the apple cider donuts alone is enough to make you want to stop.

1  Thank jmeadrian
Reviewed February 2, 2012

My elderly mother and I were there actually about 3 years ago and came across it on one of our wild, off-the-beaten-path, scenic road trips from the Berkshires to Quebec. We loved the family and their patience with our never-ending questions. We strolled, nibbled, and sat literally for hours around that store. It seemed that the family knew all the locals by name as they came in to buy bushels of apples for pie making. We even had a tour of the maple production area by one of the sons even though they were not making syrup at the time. I still treasure the maple syrup decanter that I purchased there and wish I could have more of the bakery items just once more. If we travel back east again, this place is a definite to-go-to spot.

1  Thank Robin J
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stopped by The Apple Barn during my first trip to Vermont, and it was everything you'd expect from a Vermont food and gift shop: cheddar cheese, hot cider, and apple cider donuts. I went a week before Thanksgiving, right before they close for the season, and the entire store was 40% off! I stocked up on their smoked maple cheddar (delicious -- it tastes almost like a gouda), as well as dried apple rings and apple butter. And of course, I had a cup of hot apple cider and an apple crumble bar. Everything was delicious, and the store's atmosphere is warm and homey. Definitely the best of Vermont.

1  Thank MSP_Boston