“Huge portions of tasty food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Publyk House

The Publyk House
Ranked #6 of 75 Restaurants in Bennington
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Huge portions of tasty food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We ate at The Publyk House yesterday based on reviews here and the recommendation of our hotel front desk staff. The salad bar was small but fresh, tasty, and well-prepared. Bread was served with a very nice maple butter. My daughter had the bacon-wrapped stuffed chicken, which she loved (two huge chicken breast portions). I had the fish and chips. It was a different preparation than the standard beer-batter, and was crispy and delicious. The two large filet portions were very large, one would have been more than filling. Service was friendly and accommodating. It may have been a little less fast-paced than in a busy city restaurant, but at least we didn't feel rushed! We had a relaxed meal, with time to take in the beautiful view. We will go again.

5 Thank Rhonda R

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Absolutely awful restaurant experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We were incredibly disappointed in this restaurant and had an awful time. The waitress was extremely absent and made us wait a long time for both the food to arrive and later for the cheque. We were traveling with a young toddler and waited for 20 minutes to receive the cheque. After asking another staff member to find the waitress, we gave the waitress our credit card, and she said that she would be back quickly. After that we had to wait another 30 minutes. As for the food itself, we were very disappointed. For the prices we paid, we would expect much better quality. We asked for bread to start off our meal, and it was incredibly stale. After that the main courses tasted like cheap, frozen meals. We have had vastly superior meals at fast food restaurants in terms of the quality of the food that they are serving. As for the decor and ambiance of the restaurant, that too was a disappointment. The decor was dated, and while many people go for the view, the number of tables with a scenic view is actually extremely limited. Overall, we were extremely disappointed in every single aspect of this restaurant (from the service to decor to food) and would strongly urge other travelers to this area to dine elsewhere.

2 Thank Jack L
Monroe, New York
“We Had a Lovely Meal Here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Publyk House was a memorable restaurant for my husband and I over 25 years ago when we were dating and it is still a delicious place to eat out. The atmosphere is lovely and you can eat out on the deck with an amazing view of the Bennington Monument. My husband and I both had steak dinners that were cooked beautifully. The salad bar is delicious and the peach cobbler for dessert was the perfect ending to a great meal!

3 Thank Patty S
Boston, Massachusetts
“OVERRATED!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Based on Trip Advisor comments, we went to the Publyk House for dinner. The service was initially attentive and then the waitress seemed to forget about us an went down hill.

After taking out dinner orders, we waited quite a bit of time for our dinners to come out. The meals were mediocre at best. I ordered a steak medium and it was no less than very well done. After my other guests ate their meals, she noted that I did not each much of my meal. Her only offer was to offer another steak when my guests were already finished with their dinner.

This place is way overrated on Trip Advisor..............

4 Thank Neil B
Holliston, Massachusetts
“Quiet dinner while on vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

We got a recommendation from hotel staff about place to eat dinner. We were very happy with the service and the meal. I ordered Lobster bisque and I thought it was salty to my taste. Our waitress overheard me ask my husband to try it to see if it was salty and immediately offered to get me something different if I wasn't happy with the bisque. I was impressed. The homemade bread was good and the maple butter different. I had a surf and turf combo which was tasty and the steak done perfectly for "medium". Our water glasses were refilled promptly when needed and attention to detail was obvious in service and meal preparation. The meals come with the salad bar which was nicely appointed. I could have survived on the soup and salad very nicely. We had a choice of eating inside our outside on the deck. We chose inside because we were not familiar with the area and were afraid it might get chilly when the sun began to set. The dining room was comfortable - not too chilly, Would highly recommend this restaurant for its service, food quality and prices. Nice job to Taylor our waitress too!!!

5 Thank Kathleen P