“bistro..not really”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Bennington Station is always a wonderful meal..we chose to eat in the tavern thinking it was a whole new Tavern look and meals..haven't been here in quite a few years and found the same bar as before...nothing new except the name..bartender was cordial and helpful..but kept saying she was new..met the chef..great chef and helpful..locals visit this establishment...Bennington has lost a few of its regular bars and it shows...food..my steak was to die for and my husband got the fish and chips and was a very large portion..and vry good..

1  Thank Janice M

Reviewed August 3, 2014

If you are visiting Bennington, this is a great unique place to stop for a meal. Fresh ingredients with typical pub type fare. From the train tracks you cross over to enter the restaurant, to the two railroad cars next to the restaurant, you can almost imagine what this station was like back in the day. Service was very good.

2  Thank Medusa222
Reviewed July 31, 2014

My wife and I had dinner here last night and it was one of the very best we have had. The restaurant is situated in an old railroad station which has been lovingly maintained. It is constructed of massive granite blocks and dark wood, With the great ambience the service and food was as expected. The special of lobster,diver scallops and shrimp in a tasty light sauce served over pasta was great. We had dessert of a crème bruille and an apple crisp which both very good,

1  Thank Skip S
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We were just walk-in's with no reservations yet were seated almost immediately. The decor has sort of an old world charm reminiscent of a by-gone era. It seems to attract a slightly older crowd; so if you are looking for a hip new in place this is not it. There is a wide selection on the menu and portions are large. The salad bar is also included in the price of the meal. There are also a host of daily specials not on the menu. The meat was cooked to perfection and the vegetables were clearly fresh and not canned or frozen. Drinks are well poored and the wine-list is a bit limited with mostly lower end yet acceptable wines.

The service was excellent and our waiter was attentive, friendly, and knowledgable. They had classical piano music in the background on weekends and overall a nice evening was had. That having been said the only complaint we had was the food could have been a bit more seasoned. It was somewhat bland and the sauces were a bit off.

3  Thank jorge g
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stopping in Bennington for an overnight on my way further north and needed a place to eat nearby and the Bennington Station restaurant was recommended and did not disappoint. I chose one of the dinner specials, the filet covered with lobster meat and hollandaise sauce. While waiting I enjoyed a very nice, fresh salad bar and a glass of house Pinot Noir which were also very good. When the filet arrived my server announced that the chef had declared a steak knife was unnecessary (she gave me one anyway) and he was not wrong. I could indeed cut the meat with a fork and it was cooked to perfection (medium) and tasted great. The sides (rice, squash and string beans) were also well prepared and tasty and complimented the meal nicely. Aside from the food, the restaurant itself is well appointed and suited the fine dining menu that I was somewhat surprised to find in such a small town. I've very glad I stopped by and should I find myself in the area again I will definitely eat there!

2  Thank steve B