“A hideous dump!”
Review of Twin City Motel

Twin City Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Barre
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We decided to book at this motel based on other people's reviews! This place is a dump! We stayed in cottage 20 and it hadn't been properly cleaned. The towels smelled like body odor and the toilet hadn't been flushed after use with the seat left up! gross. The mattress springs were broken, the a.c. smelled of mold and didn't function properly. When I asked to pay with cash, they ran my c.c. anyhow. When I checked on the charge on my card two day later, the charge was still processing even though the owner "claims" he voided the charge. We paid $70.85 to get no sleep in a place that smelled horrible along the noisy highway to have the owners be rude! I would avoid this motel at all costs. Sleeping in your car for free would be cleaner and mor luxurious!

Room Tip: No rooms are quiet. All are along busy rt.302
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HeatherThurber
TCMBerlinVT, Owner at Twin City Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

I was very disappointed to read such a negative review as this one. I have been operating my motel for 40 years and take great pride to keep my business clean and updated. The reason why we request a credit card for check in, especially when one pays cash, is because if there are any incidentals that occur such as smoking in a non smoking room etc., we have to have some security to pay for extra cleaning costs pertaining to this. The boxspring in cottage # 20 is not broken. We do launder our towels daily and having smelly towels is hard to believe!
In all the years we've been operating our business, cleanliness has always been our reputation. Check out the other reviews that past customers have written.We do understand some of the rooms/ bathrooms are smaller than big hotel chains but they are sufficient for the price paid.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Great little motel. Be careful with GPS directions, currently off the mark by about 3.5 miles, correct location is just up the street from Walker Volkswagen dealership. The motel is clean and comfortable. The shower stall and bathroom is very small, but works out fine for skinny people. Good value overall and compared to other places in the area.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Dc2011dc
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stumbled across this motel while my sister and I were planning an 85th birthday trip for our mother. Solely based on Tripadvisor reviews I made a reservation. We were not disappointed. The location was perfectly situated for the attractions we wanted to see. The owers were very nice and helpful. Our room was definitely big enough to accomodate the 3 of us. I would definitely stay here again.
On another note, The Wayside Diner up the street was an excellent place to eat...good, good, good home style cooking!

Room Tip: Room 19 has 2 long double beds a love seat, flat screen TV, fridge and micro wave. Beds are very com...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rubyslippers16_11
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Solely based on Tripadvisor reviews, spent a weekend here with my wife. Had a bit of trouble contacting the owners, but when I finally did, communications were great. The room we had was clean, and everything (TV, fridge, phone, thermostat, microwave) worked, but the decor was a bit dated (straight from the 1960s motor hotel era).

The only down-side is that the entire room was quite cramped, especially the bathroom which measured 6' x 5' and contained a commode, stand-up shower and sink. One can literally rest his head on the sink while sitting on the commode. Anyone of above average girth or size will find the accommodations quite constraining.

Room Tip: Single queen rooms are very tight.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank elbojbb
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Throw your thoughts back to a simpler time, when travelers drove station wagons around the country, pulled off the road into a large parking lot, and found a pleasant, one-story place of lodging with a little office off to the side with the owners waiting to be of service. This is just that place...but still alive, active, comfortable and friendly, even in 2011.

I gave the Twin City Motel a try because the photos on the website of the place gave me that warm, fuzzy feeling of the 1950s. I was traveling by motorcycle, so being able to park the bike five feet from the door to my room is a real plus.

I arrived there having driven past many Irene-caused scenes of devastation in Vermont. The trip up through the state tested my dirt-riding skills, despite the tremendous efforts the people of the state have made to correct the damage of the hurricane's passing. Nonetheless, Vermont is recovering well, and travelers should have no concerns about going there.

Rejean Gagnon (owner with wife Donna) met me, offered me some choices of accommodations, and checked me in. He's a motorcycle rider too, so he knew what I'd like.

As I walked in the door to Room 18 (there are a couple of cottages too), I found a spotless place which was not huge, but had plenty of room for me and my riding gear. A contrast to the themes of the past was the 32-inch LCD TV, a cable TV connection with about 200 channel choices and WiFi with bandwidth which I tested to be 5Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. Those were really the only clues that you're living in a modern age. The turquoise-colored bathroom fixtures, the pine-themed wall paneling put me back in the past.

Facts: queen-size bed was firm and supportive with plenty of pillows, heat was warm, lighting was flexible, cleanliness and attention to detail was superb, and finally, Rejean's morning coffee at the office was strong and rich. One unexpected bonus: Rejean left me extra towels to wipe down my motorcycle as it had rained during the night.

Finally, as I was checking out, I had a fine conversation with Donna and Rejean, and learned that they've owned Twin Cities Motel for many years, and have had many return guests. I know I'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank ExGMan
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Very nice owners who have been there for over 40 years. The rooms are roomy the bathroom a bit small but it all works. The price was right and it is a very retro feel to it. My grandparents ran small motels in the 60's and 70's and this brought back a lot of memories.

If you are looking for a "hotel" you aren't going to find it here. You are going for comfort and price and a great place this won't let you down.

Eat up the street at Wayside for a meal in a restaurant that has been around forever and a good meal.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scorchio321
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We spent a week here while visiting family in Montpelier. We were more than satisfied. The price was excellent, the accommodations comfortable and the management welcoming and helpful. This is not a "modern" motel but rather a period piece that is maintained and operated to a very high standard. Our room was extremely well suited to our visit and our needs. Refrigerator and microwave were provided as was a small couch and a new flat-screen TV. The bathroom was small but perfectly useful and immaculate, as was the rest of the room. We come to Montpelier regularly and are happy to have found the Twin City as it's now our new favorite place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: Motel rooms are best value. Cottages are cheaper and pretty basic, but very clean and well kept.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank teds300
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barre
Quality Inn Barre/Montpelier
Hollow Inn and Motel
Firehouse Inn
Firehouse Inn
#2 of 4 in Barre

Been to Twin City Motel? Share your experiences!