“Informative and amazing”
Review of Rock of Ages

Rock of Ages
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Barre
More attraction details
Owner description: The world's largest quarry.
Reviewed August 20, 2011

tour guide was informative with the history of the quarry

Reviewed August 17, 2011

We were looking for inexpensive ways to spend some time in Stowe. This is a short drive and an inexpensive way to see and amazing quarry. Don't miss out on going to Hope cemetary top see at the amazing granite tomb stones, including a soccer ball, airplane and nascar.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

My mother had to attend a business trip in vt, and since my husband and I no longer live close to home my dad traveled with her so I could spend some time with him. I met them there and was in charge of "entertaining" my dad while my mom worked.

We thought we would stop here on our way to something else. He is not easily entertained but LOVED our day here. You can do this quickly or like us and make an afternoon out of it. It was a wonderful experience! We are able to ask questions and see the workers and tour the plant where they sandblast headstones. We were even able to sandblast a tile to take home for my mom.

We loved it! They have a beautiful gift shop and a patio area with a glorified hot dog stand to buy lunch. Everything was great!

I will never forget this special time with my dad!

Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stopped here first in our day trip into Vermont while vacationing in the White Mountains. This tour was very informative and interesting. Our kids enjoyed sandblasting stone as a souvenir (additional cost but worth it). I would recommend going on the guided tour as well as going into the factory. My kids are 8 and 10 and they enjoyed it!

Reviewed July 15, 2011

The folks at "Rock of Ages" were great--even though we arrived late for the last tour of the day, they went out of their way to be incredibly accommodating and helpful--such kind folks! We were a part of a narrated bus tour of the quarry ($5 per adult, $2.50 per child age 6-12, 5 and under free) The bus takes you up to the top of the quarry where our guide explained the quarrying process, equipment, etc. On the way down, he explained the types of granite and some of their uses and talked about some of the slabs and equipment as we passed them. In the Visitor's Center, there is a free 13 minute movie that explains more of the history of Rock of Ages, film of the derricks in operation, some about the craftspeople who carve the granite into works of art, etc. In the Activity Center, our children worked together to sandblast a slate trivet with a Vermont Maple leaf. They could also have sandblasted various images into a smaller piece of granite, but we liked the usefulness of the trivet. It was $12.95 to make a trivet and about $10 to sandblast the smaller granite piece. The woman who operated the Activity Area was super---so patient and kind. Because we arrived late afternoon on a Friday, not much was going on at the quarry and the factory part was pretty dead too. Optimally, it'd be best to go earlier in the day (and week) to see more of the factory and the quarry in full swing. But even with things half speed, it was a worthwhile and interesting experience. The children also got a kick out of bowling on their outdoor granite bowling alley. If we had time (it was the end of a long day), we would have visited Hope Cemetery afterward which is close by to see some of their amazing work.

2  Thank bethbriggs