“My annual trek north”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barnard
Fan House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 4 Barnard B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
“My annual trek north”
Reviewed September 7, 2004

We first met Sara and the Fan House on our first wedding anniversary. Sara was so wonderful to us. Our room was fabulous and you can't beat her breakfasts! We return to the Fan House every year. It's wonderful!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
fairfield, ct
Reviewed July 14, 2004

I have been going to the Fan House since it opened and in all seasons. It was love at first sight and never a disappointment with the place or service. Anyone with good taste would admire how it was restored and how it is appointed. Right away, it felt like home away...from home. Now, whenever I think of taking some R&R from a very busy life, I immediately think of the Fan House and go there whenever I can get away.

By the way, I am a very demanding and critical person but I also learned to compliment when deserved. Last but not least, thank you Sara for all your grace and for making each of our stay a wonderful experience each time.

1 Thank akaristos
Reviewed July 13, 2004

What a great getaway! Sara is so gracious, we love the comfortable yet classy ambiance. Winding down in the living room, chatting with Sara. Wonderful room and night's sleep. Winding up in the kitchen with the perfect breakfast and conversation.
A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Reviewed July 11, 2004

The Fan House offers a sublime mix of care free living in an extraordinarily welcoming, exquisitely decorated and impeccably maintained home away from home. We have been back many times during summer, fall, winter, and are looking forward to many more visits. Bravo Sara Widness!

Reviewed July 9, 2004

By far the best b and b I've stayed at and I've been at quite a few, ranging from the prosaic to the sublime. I would put the Fan House in this latter category for sure, which considering the rates, also makes it a great value.. The town of Barnard is right out of a New England fairy tale with its mountains, lake, chuch spires and general store where you can sit out on the porch rocker with the friendly natives. The Fan House itself is beautifully decorated with the type of furnishings and tchokes that are usually confined to the innkeeeper's private quarters The breakfast is delicious, fresh and healthy. The host Sara Widness is erudite and charming and attentive to every detail of charm and comfort. I've stayed here several times and found myself consistently at home in Barnard and the Fan House.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2004

When we were at the Fan house we found the rooms to be clean and well decorated. We really felt like we were visiting "old Vermont". We live in Vermont but find too many people have failed to capture the feeling of gracious unreserved hospitality that we found at the Fan House. Vermont would do well if more of our lodgings and restaurants duplicated their superior level of hospitality.
We look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed July 7, 2004

My stay at The Fan House was wonderful. Proprietor Sara is a gracious hostess who enjoys sharing her newly renovated quintessential New England home with others. The rooms are beautifully appointed. The atmosphere is relaxed and our breakfasts (2) were delicious. Try the cheese souffle. We were there when the delfiniums has just bloomed in her abundant garden. A precious gem in a gem of a village.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnard
Sleep Woodstock Motel
Woodstock Inn and Resort
The Charleston House
The Charleston House
#6 of 16 in Woodstock

Been to Fan House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!