“Fantastic GetAway”

Ranked #2 of 4 Barnard B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Fantastic GetAway”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

What a fabulous long weekend we had. I had always read about Twin Farms, and everything I had hoped seemed to come true. It was a magical weekend, with the most understated luxury in service, food and accomodations. We stayed in the Barn cottage, which was like having our own house. We lucked out with an unseasonably warm weekend and were able to take advantage of a nice bike ride to town and a hilke where a gourmet picnic lunch was set out for us...does it get any better?!!! The food was incredible at all our meals, the souffle pancakes were the best I have ever had. The people/ service was so accomodating and friendly, from coffee and fresh warm pastries delivered to us in the morning, and Isu's knowledge and friendlieness at lunch and dinner and eeven to our departing day when we were sent with an unbelievable "lunch to go" bag . We will look back at this for many years to come where fond memories were made! We look forward to returning next year!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
California
Reviewed October 9, 2010

I had such mixed feelings about my stay. It's the first time I'd been to Vermont and seen the fall foliage, and my first visit to Twin Farms as well.
Many guests at Twin Farms are repeat guests and have come back for years, which is a huge compliment andspeaks for itself.

Twin Farms service was stellar, truly oustanding in every way, from every employee. They went out of their way to make me happy, and I was seriosuly impressed with that level of attentive care.

Food was delicious. The breakfast souffle pancakes are truly extraordinary. Lunch and dinner were lovely as well.

The Cottages have everything you could ever want in them, right at your fingertips. Everything is immaculately clean and well-maintained. Housekeeping comes twice a day, and even cleaned my room the morning I was due to check out, which was a fabulous treat since usually that is not done.

Chalet is spacious and has a magnificent view, a wonderful breakfast nook that doubles as a library, a great wet bar with coffee & tea maker, and an excellent desk downstairs where you can work on your computer. The closet/storage space is excellent.

The screened porch 100 degree heated jacuzzi was fantatsic.

Except the smoky/sooty smell from my bedroom fireplace just about choked me. (I do not think the chimney had been cleaned recently, for when I have spoken to other hotel owners with wood burning fireplaces, they say that with a once or twice yearly cleaning, you won't get a toxic build-up smell like that.)

Michael did everything he could to offset it, removing the fireplace gloves and floor matt, and even taking out the logs. Nonetheless unless I opened the screen door (and it was a rainy cold 40 degree night) I had to inhale those carcinogens all night, and I hated it.

I am very sensitive to smells, and the sooty/smoky odor that pervaded my bedroom and the main lodge gave me an instant massive hadache.

I realize that this is a problem that can be remedied in the future, and rather easily. It simply couldn't be done during my visit, unfortunately. Now Michael had been incredibly sweet and upgraded me to Chalet which goes for $3,000 per night without charging me any more than my other $2,100 a night room (before tax and service charges which then come to almost $2,700 per night. ) However, even at that price, the experience of the smell was a negative that ruined what otherwise might have been a blissful stay.

The oother thing I missed throughout the cottages is -- where are all the fresh flower arrangements that should be in the bedrooms and living rooms?
At these astronomical prices, shouldn't you have the life and warmth and beauty of exotic blooms in your rooms? A green plant by itself isn't enough, and it made the cottages I saw feel somewhat sterile.

The bed was comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was good. The towels however were quite rough, and the waffle bathrobes were also not soft and too short. The stone floor in the bathroomwas quite rough underfoot, and while it is heated, it never got very warm, even with my turning the register all the way up.

Again, the quality of construction is excellent. The amenities are excellent, all of the activites are wonderful to have on offer, and the service was fabulous.

But for this kind of money they charge, I believe those issues should be addressed.
I think if they were, I'd have a different feeling about spending that much money per night.

Twin Farms prices after taxes and service charges are added in is 40% more than its competition at Lake Placid Lodge, Blantyre, Winvian and Glenmere, which are all within a few hours drive.

So, is it is beautiful wonderful resort where you truly are pampered and could be incredibly happy? I think so if those issues were all addressed satisfactorily and (if they do not want to discount their prices as a matter of policy) then offer a stay for 3 nights and the 3rd night is free. Then the value is worth it in every way.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank CinderellaDearest
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed August 12, 2010

The moment my husband and I came upon the unmarked gate and heard the friendly voice over the intercom welcome us, we knew we were in for an experience. The perky (but not annoyingly so) hostess (?) greeted us with glasses of champagne as we stepped out of our car. Yes, it was a long 5 hour drive from NJ and we were weary. But one deep breath confirmed we were in Vermont. The room was beautifully decorated with comfortable furniture, warm colors and crackling fire with music playing quietly on stereo. I felt like I walked into a novel and I was the main character! The staff were incredibly accomodating - we had a yen for cheese and crackers in the afternoon and our dedicated staff member brought us an incredible picnic basket filled with cheese, crackers, shrimp cocktail and a bottle of wine.
All the meals were creative, interesting and delicious. The hotel sends a food questionairre ahead of time to get to know our likes and dislikes, food allergies,etc. So not once did we ever get something we didn't like. Everyone is served the same meal. But this adds to the small feel of the hotel - it's more like you're staying with friends for the weekend and you eat whatever they're making but you know it will always be great. The sommelier Eric was a plethera of wine knowledge and his choices were fabulous every time. Did I mention most people had jeans on for dinner? Love it!
The only bad feeling I had all weekend was when we had to leave. Twin Farms truly is the most relaxing place on Earth.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BoutiqueHotetraveler
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My husband and I just returned from our third annual visit to Twin Farms. After reading some of the reviews we were apprehensive that the quality had suffered. However, we are happy to report that Twin Farms continues to provide exceptional food and service to its guests. All of the traditional amenities were still available. We had a great time and are already planning our return next summer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelbug1123
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My wife and I recently spent several days at Twin Farms. This was our first trip there, despite it being strongly recommended by a few friends for years who, we should have known, are familiar with the best of the best. Like them, we've travelled to top hotels in several countries but this, handily, beat them all. If you want glitz and 60 inch flatscreen TVs, then stay in the big city. If you want to get away from it all, and be pampered with gorgeous accommodations, incredibly good food/wine, personal service that simply isn't available in any big hotel, and the romance of Vermont activities at your doorstep... well, then, just go.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Miami
Reviewed July 4, 2010

The experience does not come close to the amount of money you will spend here. The food is more about the description than the flavor. The staff is ok, not really happy to accommodate requests outside of their plan. There are choices for breakfast but lunch and dinner are set. The set dinner time and menu is odd for the money you pay and the hype. I would not return. There are too many great resorts in the US. Don't buy$$ into the hype of this place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
18 Thank LOL305
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2010

Unlike many other reviewers, we’ve only been to Twin Farms this one time, so we have no comparison of the experience over time.

The accommodations at The Barn were large and comfortable (true to the web pic) with a beautiful view, a separate bedroom, a large, well-appointed bathroom and a very pleasant screened in porch. My only complaints would be the awkward layout, i.e. you must go through the bedroom to get to the bath and refreshment center which defeats the purpose of a separate bedroom, and they were chintzy with the “seasonal snacks” in the room (which they will restock when asked but you shouldn’t have to).

Unlike many reviewers, we found the food – both quality and quantity -- to be excellent. I grant you that the portions of the three-course dinners are on the smaller side but they are quite comparable to portion size in high-end New York restaurants and we never left hungry. Also, I feel that the overly generous portions at breakfast and lunch more than made up for any calorie shortages at dinner. While choices are not offered at dinner, you have many, many choices for breakfast and lunch. The non-reserve wines offered at dinner were fine but we would have liked the opportunity to view the wine list and perhaps select different wine. One of our dinners was served in the wine cellar (totally charming) and we asked for a bottle of Pinot Noir from the non-reserve list. We were happily accommodated with a grand bottle but it would have been nice if they asked about our preferences.

We found the service to be outstanding with all staff members very pleasant and responsive to any requests we made. The staff will deliver a picnic lunch to you anywhere on the grounds; they were helpful re activities; and our room was tended to at least 3 times a day. The grounds are quite beautiful with hiking trails and many other activities.

So, is it worth the crazy prices and would we go again? In the end, we loved the experience but would probably not return. We compared this vacation with past high-end experiences and found it to be at least twice the cost. Was it twice as good? I guess, in the end, the “value” of $2700 a day is in the eye of the beholder.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank egliz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnard
506 On The River Inn
Jackson House Inn
Jackson House Inn
#1 of 16 in Woodstock
The Village Inn of Woodstock

Been to Twin Farms? Share your experiences!