“Most Amazing Resort Ever.”
Review of Twin Farms

and 1 more site!
Twin Farms
Ranked #2 of 4 Barnard B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Most Amazing Resort Ever.”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Twin Farms is an incredible place. They deliver on their mission to provide a unique and exceptional guest experience in every way. The resort food is incredible. They are not like any other resort with regard to the creativity and quality of the food. The Aviary cottage we stayed in was the most unique room I have ever experienced. The service by the staff is exceptional. They deliver high end luxury experience in a low key and friendly way. While the resort is expensive, I felt I got a great deal because of what Twin Farms delivers with regard to guest experience.

Room Tip: Aviary Cottage was unbelievable. Very spacious. Great architecture and interior design.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank John L
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear John L,
Thank You for your review and letting us know of your positive experience at Twin Farms! Chef Nathan Rich and the rest of the culinary team do work hard to bring new and interesting dishes to our guests from the large assortment of local products that come from Barnard and surrounding towns. The Aviary is a spectacular room that is enjoyed in every season, I would also recommend The Studio for your next trip to Twin Farms. Thank You again and if I can ever be of assistance please contact me at Twin Farms.
Michael Beardsley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Twin Farms will spoil you so much, you won't want to stay anywhere else. The lodgings are incredibly plush: main house rooms (4) or cottages (16), very private and large, with luxury linens, a free stocked refrigerator, huge fireplace (pre-loaded with wood and kindling), etc. The food: equally incredible: five-course dinners, three-course lunches and two-course breakfasts, with an incredible selection of wines and spirits, whenever and wherever you'd like. The food is so artfully prepared that each course takes the server about 15 seconds to describe, but the portions are sized right so you don't feel like you've over-indulged (though you will--did I mention doing s'mores on the patio at night, with homemade marshmallows?).Activities: plenty. Wonderful scenic hiking trails (they'll drop off a lobster lunch for you so you don't have to trek with it), a beautiful pond with kayaks and a canoe, and stocked with trout (caught some every day I tried), bike rides to nearby Quechee and Woodstock (mostly downhill/flat and the Twin Farms staff will come pick up you and the bikes so you don't have to suffer the injustice of pedaling up hill). Plus...darts, pool, yoga, croquet, Stave-branded puzzles to solve, books to read, tennis...you can stay busy morning til night, or hold up in your cottage and order room service. Everything is at your beckon call, part of what TF terms "the total guest experience." Final noteworthy point: the staff. Kudos to: Michael, Sean, Kyle, Brenda, Rebecca, Leah, Kate, Betsy, Stephanie, etc. for making the experience truly a six-star one. We met folks on this trip (our first) who have been coming to Twin Farms twice a year for 20 years; I can now see why. Twin Farms is truly the best place we've ever stayed, and we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Most of the cottages are on a large loop. Depending on which one you're looking at, it's a b...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bfromlosangeles
Dear bfromlosangeles,
It was a pleasure to have met you both on your recent trip to Twin Farms! Thank You for your extensive and enthusiastic review of our hotel and surrounding area. You have mentioned many of our favorite activities to do on and off site. We are so pleased you were able to experience so many! Our entire staff works very hard every day to provide the high level of guest experience that you reference throughout your review. Thank You for mentioning so many of our team that did make your stay memorable! Please make sure you contact me if I can be of any assistance in planning your next trip.
New York City
Reviewed May 20, 2014

My husband and I visited Twin Farms at the end of September '13. Truly excellent in every way. The room (we stayed in Dorothy's room), food, wine, cocktails, scenery were all amazing. And the service was top notch, to say the least. We also enjoyed the Stave jigsaw puzzles and immediately ordered several on our arrival home. We need to book another visit for September '14!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janice212
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear, Janice212,
Thank You for your review and noting the favorite parts of your stay with us. Stave Puzzles are a popular pastime here and we are pleased you enjoyed them so much. As you now know September is a very special time of year in Vermont and we look forward to your return. If I can be of any assistance please reach out to me anytime.
Stephenville, Texas
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My and I stayed at Twin Farms in late September 2011 and we can't wait to go back! We had very high expectations going in, and everything about the place (service, food, amenities, overall atmosphere, the Staff, and the area in Vermont itself) were all even better than we expected.

We hope to make it back to Twin Farms around the Christmas Holidays either this year or in 2015, and possibly ring in the New Year at the resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Quentin H
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear, Quentin H
Thank You for your staying with us and the praise for your experience while here. You visited during an amazing time of year at Twin Farms as well as Vermont, with the fabulous fall foliage! We are pleased you have remembered your time with us and look forward to welcoming you upon a return trip.
Please let me know how I may assist to plan our next stay with us. A winter stay will give you many more exciting adventures to have on our property during one of my favorite seasons here in Vermont. Thank You again for staying with us!

Cundy's Harbor
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We just returned from our first (but not last) trip to Twin Farms. While the experience is still fresh, some quick observations.
-as other reviewers have noted, the physical setting and accommodations are very special, but certainly not the star of the show. Somehow, the staff (all of whom I think we met, including the one stoic on the payroll, the Vermonter who tended the firewood), more than any group of employees we have ever come across, was perfect at setting the right tone. Gracious without being cloying, willing to provide any accomodation while somehow creating the thought bubble over their heads saying "I've been so waiting for you to ask me that...".. Seriously, these folks make you feel at once special and while not part of the family, certainly cared for in a very genuine New England manner. We've stayed at many properties that have a great physical setting, and wonderful accommodations, but none of them have a staff to compare with TF.. Whatever you folks are doing, keep doing it because you've got it nailed.
-Since my wife and I run a very busy and challenging family business, and we rarely unplug, we had high hopes of crawling into a comfy hole somewhere and just hanging out.. We certainly achieved that goal, if we hadn't left when we did, they would have had to pick us up with a sponge.. Fireplaces and jigsaw puzzles (we finished ours!!) don't sound like a great way to spend a long weekend, but it was really perfect. Ordering up a cheese and smoked fish plate with a nice bottle of Hungarian wine (David, the Som, introduced it us at dinner) was a real treat.
-The food was inventive, beautifully prepared and well served. On a couple of dishes we thought the Chef may have been trying a bit too hard on the "inventive" scale, but each meal hung together well, was well balanced, and was chock full of nuance and great taste.
-We stayed in the Aviary-it reminded us of a California beach house (although we've never actually been in a California beach house). I was totally bummed this morning to wake up at home in Maine to realize we don't have a hot tub AND a fireplace in our bedroom..
The price is a bit of a shock, but it truly is all inclusive (unless you go bonkers over special wines), and we don't feel we overspent for the experience.

Kudos to all.

I keep dialing 125 on my cell phone to order breakfast, alas I guess we have to return before anyone will answer.
Thanks for a great weekend.

Room Tip: Get a cabin, hang out in the Pub.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jackr64
Dear, jack r
Thank You for joining us during our winter season and for you detailed review of your experience. You are correct in that we have many special staff members all throughout Twin Farms and each adds to the overall experience during your stay. We are all very proud of the guest experience we provide.

I am personally pleased you were able to relax and unwind from your busy lives, and yes the fireplaces and puzzles do seem to have that effect on many! I especially love Aviary during winter with the views out upon the snowy forest through its floor to ceiling windows.

Thank You again for staying with us and please let me know how I may help you plan your next trip. You have now joined the 125 fan club and they await your return!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 21, 2013

When deciding to stay at a place with the reputation that Twin Farms has, you walk in with certain expectations. You expect attentive service, top notch food, and amenities that make the price and trip work it. Twin Farms nailed everything. We drove up from Philadelphia and his a massive snow storm that delayed us about 3 hours from our targeted arrival time. Brian from Twin Farms called us at least once to make sure we were good, and upon arrival, greeted us and allowed us to stretch a bit with a tour of the main house.

We stayed in a suite in the Farmhouse which has two large fireplaces, and was impeccably well appointed. The art in the building was possibly some of our favorite we've encountered in our travels, and made the stay that much better. The facilities are what all of the guests want to talk about it seems which is a greta compliment to the staff at Twin Farms.

Service is what most people judge a place such as this for, and Twin Farms was serious about top flight service. Brian, Amanda, Rebecca, David, Michael....everyone.... we're amazing and made even the most random request a reality. A few times my wife and I were allowed to raid the imported and craft beer stores, and David went out of his way to purchase a whisky that we both like, and I know that wasn't easy for him.

Dinner in the main dining area with other people might not seem intimate, but the mood created int he room, plus the arrangement of the seats really created a great atmosphere for not only quite conversation, but relaxed everyone. The food really was the star of our trip for us. My wife and I dine out weekly and really wanted to stay somewhere with the best food, and this was it. From a breakfast menu that had everything for everyone, to lunches that rival dinner in many places, to the multi-course dinners that left you satisfied and talking about that meal hours after. A great combination of service and food is that ordering something for your room, or dining in another building is not a problem. Boxed meals to order were convenient and delicious as were the requests for any of last night's diner leftovers to be delivered to the pub for lunch and billiards. It was all there, and great.

Since we stayed at Twin Farms in the snow, we were able to snow shoe and hike parts of the grounds, but we can really see how amazing the place would be in the summer and fall. As far as our time, the downhill skiing wasn't quite ready, but sledding, cross country skiing and the snow shoeing were all available. With the weather we had it made it a great time to just have a fire in the pub, work on a Stave puzzle, and enjoy some wine. We think we'll be heading back this summer to really take advantage of the biking, hiking, fly fishing, and canoeing, but for us hibernating in the snow was awesome.

So yeah, that's what's fresh on my mind right now. Twin Farms is what you expect for the price point, but there are so many times that the staff go above and beyond, it's easy to see why Twin Farms ranks among the best in the country. Kudos everyone, and see you this summer.

Oh and credit to Brian for indulging me on my friendly sloth photo when we arrived.

Room Tip: You'll go over the room options a hundred times before you book, everyone seems to have done tha...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BryanGrimes
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear, Bryan
Winter at Twin Farms is magical and I am pleased you found us during this time of year. Thank You for your detailed review and personalized comments to my staff! So pleased that you were able to view and enjoy so much of our art as well, it is one of the many cornerstones of the guest experience at Twin Farms. Our culinary team works very hard to provide amazing creations from one meal to the next and we are glad you enjoyed them all. Activities on property and in the nearby towns are abundant during any season, so I look forward to your return and sharing a different season with the two of you. Thank You again for your stay with us and let me know if I can help plan your summer stay with us!
Trumbull, Connecticut
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Tonight is our last evening here, after a 3 day stay, and I must say THERE IS NOT ONE THING to complain about…If it's not here, than you are on the opposite side of Heaven. The staff, Rebecca, Josh, Stephanie et al heralded by mgr. Mike Beardsley know what they're doing. There isn't anything they won't do for you……All of the cottages are unique, depending on your taste.
We stayed in THE STUDIO, and I would definitely choose this one again. Even though it's a two level layout it really feels like a 'home'. If it had a kitchen I would move in!!!!! The food is amazingly good, and if there's something you want special, they will do their utmost to accommodate. Having gone just before the Christmas holidays, it was not overly crowded, but nonetheless…they pulled out all the stops, fresh flowers on each dining table, wondrous fires, great presentations. If you like a quiet get away…..this is the place for you.

Room Tip: These are spacious settings; check the internet for the one you like.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank summer0807
Dear, Summer0807
Thank You for visiting us and we are all pleased that you enjoyed your stay! The Studio is a spectacular cottage here and particularly nice on a cold December night with the fires roaring. Thank You as well for the praise of the meals and table presentations, our dining room and kitchen staff work very hard to make every meal a special event for you. We look forward to your return and if you do not just make The Studio your home here from now on, I would be happy to help make a recommendation to another cottage.
Michael Beardsley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnard
506 On The River Inn
Jackson House Inn
Jackson House Inn
#1 of 16 in Woodstock
The Village Inn of Woodstock

Been to Twin Farms? Share your experiences!