“So very unearthly finest kind!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Twin Farms

Twin Farms
Ranked #2 of 4 Barnard B&B and Inns
Menlo Park
“So very unearthly finest kind!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I'm a nobody and Twin Farms treated me as if I were a Somebody but in the best possible way. So much so that husband and I extended our four-night stay by three nights and were delighted all the while. We stayed in three cottages (Log Cabin, Orchard and Woods) and one of the suites overlooking the pond; cottages best. Reviewers justifiably rave over the cuisine but I have to say my favorite meal was breakfast. Never have I eaten such exquisitely luscious scrambled eggs; and, the scones! Irish bacon! All adds up to heaven in my book.

I realize Twin Farms can't take credit for the weather but it was, I'm told, a rare week at the height of leaf season with day-time temperatures in the 70s! And the leaves, oh my. Twin Farms is perfectly situated as a base from which to drive in any direction for full immersion in Autumn foliage.

The service here is not only above and beyond but spooky. As we were reluctantly preparing to leave, the general manager told us one of the tires on the rental car was too low and could he arrange to have it fixed? The generous attitude and smiles accompanying the smallest request or offering had us entirely charmed all week long. I won't name anyone on staff because everyone we interacted with was a gem -- they all deserve medals for genuine, unstinting enhancement of our long stay.

I don't expect to cherish the art at a resort but I did fall in love with three painters hitherto unknown to me whilst at Twin Farms: Milton Avery ("Early Spring"), Dudley Morris (think that name is correct, can't find my notes; "Self-Portrait with Skis") and David Bates (one magnolia painting, three bird paintings and that wonderfully, slightly menacing, superior pooch which, management had the good sense to NOT feature in Log Cabin which would have weakened its impact).

I'm currently scheming to return with best friends in tow.

Room Tip: For book readers, you want Tuscan -- it has a chaise longue upon which to read in luxurious fashion...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CatalinaW
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
CatalinaW,
It was a pleasure to have met you both on your extended stay with us! Thank You for your praise of our rooms, cuisine, and staff I will pass it along to them! The art throughout Twin Farms is a cornerstone of what makes the cottages and public areas so special around the property. Thank You for noticing some of our special pieces and we look forward to showing you others on a return visit. To return with friends I would recommend The Farm House with its four suites that connect to the spacious common area for memorable together time with friends and family. If I can be of any assistance please let me know at any time. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Michael Beardsley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in the peak of foliage season. The resort was spectacular. For those not familiar with Twin Farms, it is a small all inclusive resort (approx 20 rooms) with a special focus on food and wine. It is the epitome of luxury. The food and wine pairings were fantastic, as were the outdoor activities. The resort is known for its impeccable service and it did not disappoint. For example, after dinner around a fire, we wanted to make s'mores. With a quick call,a basket of hand made graham crackers, artisanal marshmallows and chocolate arrived. (Not to worry, they also had your classic stay puff and honey maid Graham crackers for the purists).

My only criticisms relate to the over-abundance of food and the poor WIFI in sections of the resort, including the gym.

If you can afford it, this is not a place to be missed! We hope to come back next year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Finicky Tired Traveler,
Thank You for your kind words regarding you stay with us this month! You did indeed choose a magnificent time of the year to visit Twin Farms and Vermont. I will pass on your praise to our staff who works hard every day to provide the best experience possible to all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back and if I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact me anytime at Twin Farms. We will have the s’mores ready!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I am in the hotel business and had hear a lot about Twin Farms, so I went in with high expectations. They nailed it! One of the best hotel experiences ever. Everything about Twin Farms is exceptional. One of the best hotel rooms that I have stayed in - very large and private cottage. One way to know how good a hotel is by how passionate the staff is, and everyone at Twin Farms loves working there. This is a romance vacation, not a family vacation. Property is huge so plenty of hiking and I loved the bike ride into town (mostly down hill). The food and wine pairings were very well coordinated, and unlike most all inclusive resorts, the wine selected was excellent. Drove from Boston and flew out of Burlington, which is much easier than dealing with Boston. I also thought the art in the hotel is off the charts - something you don't see in most hotels. This hotel exceeded my expectations in every area which I can't say about many hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank turtle2056
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
turtle2056,
Thank You for your kind words of praise throughout your review! It was a pleasure to have welcomed you to our Vermont hideaway. You are correct in that our entire staff is very passionate in every aspect of what they provide for our guests here at Twin Farms. Wine has also been a very important aspect of our experience since we opened 20 years ago this month, serving out of a 20,000 bottle cellar to accompany the meals. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and if I can be of any assistance please contact me directly.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Two nights at Twin Farms stayed in the guest room in the main house. All I have to say is PAMPERED, PAMPERED AND PAMPERED. The staff was spot on, from the moment they met us outside to check us in to the time I drove off at the end of our stay. Our room had amazing views and was super cozy. Food and wines seemed like it was never ending. If you love very high end dishes with ingredients you never cooked with you will love it. I can say my taste buds were challenged all weekend. Kinda wanted just a plain burger by the second day of eating their and I'm sure they would have made it if I asked. Bottom line yes its expensive but you get what your paying for TOP NOTCH all the way.

Also the activities people Brenda and Brian were such genuine nice people you know that they truly enjoy what they do because the were amazing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lee P
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Lee P,
Thank You for taking the time to write your review and we are all pleased that you enjoyed your stay! Please do ask for a burger during your next visit, we would be happy to accommodate. Thank You as well for recognizing the efforts of Brenda and Brian, they do enjoy keeping our guests active! We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is one of the nicest gems in a state with a lot of nice places. Not cheap--it's a Relais & Chateaux property--up there with some of the nicer hotels in Europe, but every detail is well done. The bedrooms have fireplaces, art, fine linens, and a completely relaxed feeling, including in-room massages, claw-footed tubs, good lighting, and more, and the meals are prepared by chefs who care, including paired wines, craft pastries and amazing deserts. The best bit is the juxtaposition of out of the way rural ambience with fine art and amazing attention to detail, from the woodwork to the art to the tiny touches that make a place that much better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GhengisWan
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
GhengisWan,
It was our pleasure to have welcomed you to our gem in Vermont! We are pleased you enjoyed the attention to detail of everything from the woodworking to the different courses at meals daily. Please let me know how I can help you plan your next stay and choose the right room to fit your tastes. Thank You for all your words of praise and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Larchmont, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This is the first review I have written. Having graduated from the Hotel School at Cornell, having spent 8 years as an Owner's Rep in the industry (managing 5 Four Seasons Hotels amongst many others), having lived and traveled extensively in Europe at many luxury resorts I will admit that I can be hard to please. My husband and I recently stayed 4 nights at Twin Farms after having to cancel a planned trip to rock climb in the French Alps due to illness. Word of mouth from everyone we knew who had stayed was very good but I was expecting stuffy, pretentious, kitschy and bug bites. Instead, I was truly blown away. Every detail was taken care of and done with forethought from the upkeep of our cottage (Log Cabin) to the vast choices of sunscreen, chilled beverages and stand-up paddleboards at the ready by the Pond. We never saw housekeeping yet out cottage was cleaned by the time we returned from breakfast. Each and every staff member was incredibly well-trained and, more importantly, followed through with any and every request with a smile and friendly demeanor. Want a picnic down by the pond at 1:30? It will be there. Change your mind at 1:00 p.m. and decide you would like a chilled bottle of the delicious Sauvignon Blanc from last night's starter course along with lunch? No problem. You must be prepared for a lot of eating and drinking, as meals are at the forefront at this resort. Be sure to spend some time on the questionnaire regarding food preferences before you get there because it is taken VERY seriously and to the letter. This is THE place for picky eaters and gourmands alike. The sommelier was equal parts knowledgable, chatty, enthusiastic and friendly. It appears that everyone who works there loves their job. I did find it just a bit strange that in the 4 nights, 5 days we were there I never saw the GM on property but the staff were all at the top of their game anyway! My only suggestion is about the Furo, the co-ed indoor Japanese hot tub: it should be made clear in a sign that bathing suits are optional, or there should be a way to indicate (hang a certain sign outside?) the use of the tub and your state of dress ( or undress! ) so that no one feels uncomfortable. My husband and I chose the no-suit option, and I fear we made the couple who were in their bathing suits self-conscious and uncomfortable.
While the price might be prohibitive for some, we felt it was worth every penny and in fact quite a good deal when you consider the quality of facilities, size of cottages and rooms, delicious high quality food, amazing wines ( and beers, cocktails, anything and everything ) and no tipping accepted at all. We never left the property, never put our hand in our pocket and loved every minute. We have already discussed coming back in the Winter to snowshoe the property and have dinner in front of our fireplace, one option we didn't get a chance to sample this time.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michele K
Michele K,
Thank You for your extensive review of Twin Farms and our many services! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and the hard work of the entire staff throughout the property. I am very sorry that I missed you, unfortunately I was traveling and away from Twin Farms during your visit. Please contact me to help plan your next stay and I will make sure we meet! Thank You for your input on the Furo and we will work to make that experience flawless, so no one feels uncomfortable. Thank You again for staying with us and I look forward to meeting you at Twin Farms in the future!
London,England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We started going to Twin Farms in 2005 and recently returned for yet another visit.The good news is that Twin Farms is maintaining its high standards with superb food and facilities, a great staff and, of course, individual accommodations each with its own character and setting, e.g. meadow; woods; hillside etc.. This was our first visit in the summer and the private lake provides excellent swimming and boating, while there are abundant hiking and biking opportunities. Ranks in our top three US favourites (the other favourites: Dunton Hot Springs and Post Ranch Inn). Please note: Twin Farms is all inclusive: you never see the bill after you arrive (unless you have special spa treatments or request "reserve wines") and it is not for those on a limited budget. Superb quality has a price attached.

Room Tip: Each accommodation is unique: you need to view the website to select the cottage that suits your tas...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank plkmtk
plkmtk,
Thank You for joining us for your first summer stay at Twin Farms! It was a pleasure to see you both and show you all that we have to offer in the warmer months. Please contact me when I can help plan your next winter getaway. Thank You again and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Michael Beardsley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnard
506 On The River Inn
Maple Leaf Inn
#1 of 4 in Barnard
The Village Inn of Woodstock
The Mountain Top Inn & Resort

Been to Twin Farms? Share your experiences!