“Twin Farms Heaven on Earth”
Review of Twin Farms

Twin Farms
Ranked #2 of 4 Barnard B&B and Inns
West Orange
“Twin Farms Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We just returned from five nights at Twin Farms and we have already booked our return trip.
This was our fourth visit to this magnificent retreat and this visit we stayed in Chalet.
Chalet is a cottage which is high up on the property with magnificent views of the entire property. It was serene, peaceful and breathtaking.
The staff is the most attentive, enthusiastic, warm and friendly group of people that I have ever met. One must believe that they truly enjoy their job and it shows!
The weather was rainy, cold and windy for most of our stay, but it did not dampen our spirits. The cottage had two beautiful fireplaces, one in the living room and one in the bedroom and there was a cozy feel during the storm.
The food was superb, as usual, and we enjoyed a few of our meals served in our cottage.
We took this trip for some much needed R and R and we returned home relaxed.
If you are going to visit Twin Farms, do spend the time selecting the accommodations. Do spend the time completing the food questionnaire as it is important.
This is one of the most phenomenal properties to visit, if you have the chance to book a trip to Twin Farms , don't miss it .
Thank you Michael and staff for another wonderful visit.

Room Tip: All of the cottages are private. Chalet and Studio have two bathrooms. You have to look at the map...
1 Thank Alice H
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear, Alice H
It was a pleasure to have seen you both again and Thank You for your kind words and observations of you stay with us. I agree with you, The Chalet has a very special location on property and is a unique experience during each season here in Vermont with the seemingly endless vistas over the Green Mountains. We look forward to welcoming you back for your fifth visit. If I can help you plan anything for your next visit please contact me anytime.
Michael Beardsley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I were back at Twin Farms for the Memorial Day weekend. This was our 20th visit since 1995 when we first stayed at Twin Farms. As usual we stayed in our favorite accommodation Washington’s Room in the Main House and I am happy to report that Twin Farms is as great as ever.
Under the leadership of Michael Beardsley, its General Manager,Twin Farms truly ranks as one of the best if not the best resort getaways in the United States.
What can one say the food, the service, the accommodations and the activities are all superb. I still refer to Twin Farms as Shangri la in Vermont. Though it may be expensive it is worth every penny. If you are looking for a luxurious and tranquil getaway then Twin Farms is the place for you.

1 Thank Lee F
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Lee F,
It was a pleasure to have seen you both again! Thank You for your kind words regarding all aspects of the Twin Farms experience. I will pass your comments on to the rest of the team who will love to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
I was happy to hear you both enjoyed the first barbeque of the year, I know I look forward to them. In our 20th anniversary year it was great to have welcomed you both back for your 20th stay, Thank You and I look forward to your return.
Hillsboro Beach, FL
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just returned from a few days at Twin Farms. Every aspect of our visit was superb. From the thoughtful staff to the lovely surroundings we could not have asked for more. We particularly appreciated the delicious Memorial Weekend BBQ! The grounds and room were as immaculate and picturesqe as one would expect from a property of this caliber. Every meal was an event, paired with delicious wines. And, while the weekend was unexpectedly cold and rainy we enjoyed being pampered with wine and snacks by the fireplace while working on Stave Puzzles. It is hard to critique anything about this property..if i could offer anything I would suggest offering more "casual" dining options such as the BBQ. After a few days of fancy meals, somthing more casual was welcome. Additonally while all of the staff offered a sincere and impressive delivery, a couple of the younger members were a bit "green" (unfamiliar with a simple drink like a Kir Royal...oddly placing the dinner bread basket in front of the guest as though it was a meal). Also, the staff was admirably very concerned with our satisfaction but on a few occasions it felt like a parade of staff was stopping by our table to check if we were happy. That being said they did not detract at all from the experience. I am also certain that with a bit more exposure the newer members will do as well as all of the more senior staff. One final thought..for a property so centered around fine wine and dining, offering guests culinary and wine activties would greatly enhance the experience. Why offer intmate wine tastings based on guest preference and/or cooking classes/demos? We also would have liked to have been offered a cellar tour..had that happened we may have been inclined to indulge in some of the reserve wine offerings. All things being said, it is hard to improve upon perfection and Twin Farms is truly perfect. Kudos to Michael and all of his staff! We can not wait for our return this Christmas!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank SunnyWineBunny
Sunny Wine Bunny,
I am pleased you enjoyed your memorial Day Weekend with us. Fireplaces and Stave Puzzles are one of the favorite pastimes here throughout the year so I am glad you could indulge.
We are working with a few new members of staff and I am certain that with the many senior members of staff on the property they will settle in quickly. Our new Wine Director David is currently developing offerings with wine tastings and education to accomplish the suggestions you are referencing and I will make sure you receive a through cellar tour upon your return.
The Barbeques are one of my favorite meals the kitchen provides and we look forward to surprising you with some new experiences upon your visit at Christmas time with us.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our second trip to Twin Farms coincided with their opening weekend. Weather has been glorious; the trees and flowers are springing back to life. Happily, the staff is on their game and we have enjoyed ourselves immensely. It's very, very helpful to call directly to book your stay and to pre-arrange spa treatments, activities and food preferences. Staff keeps one another informed of your preferences and expectations so as to deliver outstanding, unobtrusive service. An afternoon canoe outing on Copper Pond was great fun; spotted a few turtles sunning themselves on birch branches. After the activities, the Japanese furo experience let us soak and relax the muscles before a late afternoon nap.

Chef Ask and his team once again prepared interesting, satisfying dishes paired beautifully with wines selected by David, the new sommelier. Mint juleps were crafted by Noreen in honor of the Kentucky Derby, and yummy pork quesadillas at lunchtime honored Cinco de Mayo. Dinner in the wine cellar on our last night capped off our stay.

We opted for a cottage (Meadow) this time versus a stay in the main house the last time. Meadow is situated for lots of morning light with luxurious window treatments to keep the light out while you are sleeping in. The view from the bathtub into the birch grove with dappled light is terrific. The interior is a feat of decor; fantastic and varied tile work and ceiling sheet rock and paint treatments are very much to our taste. The enclosed brick patio area is a great place to relax and read or enjoy a continental breakfast delivered by the staff. A special treat has been reading an early edition of Sinclair Lewis' "Main Street" (from their library) on Lewis' own farm.

Woodstock is about 15 minutes south of here for retail therapy; Simon Pearce glass and local pottery studio/shops are a little further. The Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller national park and working farm is an interesting visit; sheep shearing was the order of the day Saturday morning. The Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site is about an hour away and worth a visit.

Room Tip: Talk to reservations directly to match the choice of accommodation to your own wants and needs.
1 Thank philatour
Twin_Farms, Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Philatour,

Thank you so much for joining us again at Twin Farms on our opening weekend. It was my first weekend with Twin Farms, and I thought how perfect, with all the trees, shrubs and flowers coming into bloom. And, on behalf of Michael, Azusa, Ted and the entire team, thank you for writing such a lovely review. It was very much appreciated.

We are truly fortunate on so many levels -- to have a team that genuinely wants to make sure you are truly taken care of, to be able to be a part of such a beautiful property, and to be able to make our home in the stunning Green Mountains of Vermont. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and hope that you will be able to join us again -- soon.

I will thank David, Ted and Noreen personally for helping to make sure your stay was everything you had hoped it would be.

Warm regards,

John

John Graham
Managing Partner
Twin Farms
Freedom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

A Disneyland meets Currier and Ives place to be sure. Nothing at Twin Farms is real..the trappings are reproductions. The buildings mostly came from somewhere else. The art is the reflection of the founder's taste....weirdly humorous might best describe it...? The meals sound great on paper, but don't rise to the descriptions. The place was the brainchild of a Hawaiian based millionaire. It is a joke to think he'd have truly understood New England/Vermont. The people who seem to rave about this place are from non-New England states who want to dream the dream. If your feet are on the ground and you truly have good taste, this isn't the place for you.

Room Tip: Don't do it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Diningdiva045
Twin_Farms, Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
We hope you return to Twin Farms for an authentic experience that we are sorry you missed this time. Contrary to your description, the founder of Twin Farms graduated from Yale University in 1942, and after falling in love with New England, bought a home in Vermont in the 1960s. For the past 50 years, Vermont has been a second home to him and his family. Two of his children settled near Twin Farms, and all became intimately involved in the surrounding communities.

While some of the folk art certainly could be described as eclectic and whimsical — as was the founder's intention; after all, true luxury should include some fun! — much of the contemporary collection is worthy of any major museum in New York City or Boston. Artists featured at Twin Farms include Donald Roller Wilson, Cy Twombly, David Hockney, Ed Ruscha, Milton Avery, Deborah Butterfield, Jasper Johns, Frank Stella, and William Wegman, to name a few.

Again, we hope you come back to Vermont and accept our offer to explore the legacy of Twin Farms with the General Manager acting as your personal tour guide. We believe your perspective may change rather dramatically.
evansville
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I must admit my wife and I had very high expectations for Twin Farms and I can tell you they exceeded them in every way. The food was incredible, the staff went out of their way to make you feel comfortable, remarkable in their "down to earth" attitude. The accomadations were outstanding ( we stayed in the Barn), the view was great. We had booked the Wine Cellar on our first night and must admit we were a little nervous when we were told they had a new sommelier...........but no fears he was excellent, the same attitude as the rest of the staff. friendly and helpful, yet not arrogant. Activities were great fun, we snow-shoed and did sled riding and the staff was again outstanding. General Manager Michael is a leader who gets how to let his staff do their job and he leads by example, very engaged but not in your face. HIGHLY RECCOMEND a visit here!!!

Room Tip: Definetly do a cottage, worth the money.....also mae sure you book the wine cellar
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank huzerbucks
Twin_Farms, Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for pointing out the "down to earth" approach at Twin Farms, and for letting other guests know one of our biggest secrets: Book the wine cellar in advance for one of the most romantic evenings ever! It sounds like you took advantage of the outdoor activities offered during the winter season as well. Please come back and visit -- perhaps during the breathtaking foliage season. You can try a different cottage each time!

Many thanks for taking time to write such a lovely review.
San Anselmo, California, United States
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our last trip to Twin Farms was our second and was just as amazing as we remembered. Sometimes when you return to a place you wonder if memory is kind and if it was really as good as you recalled it to be. This was and so much more. Upon arrival they escorted us outside to a table overlooking the beautiful New England countryside. An outstanding lunch was waiting for us. There is something about this place, the second you set foot on the property you instantly feel total and complete relaxation. We stayed in the barn cottage which was absolutely stunning. It was nestled in the forest and the epitome of tranquility. As a designer for me what makes this place so special is the outstanding decor and museum quality art collection. Every inch of Twin Farms is so thought out and covered with something incredible and unique to look at. All accommodations are completely different from the next. We only stayed one day yet it felt like we were there for a week. We hiked the beautiful grounds, swam in the lake, canoed, soaked in the japanese furo, played croquet, fly fished, ate amazing food, and just had the most spectacular time. There is a glorious covered bridge that leads to a saloon complete with full bar, piano, pool table, couches and all the comforts one could ask for. At night they lit the fire outside and brought us a basket of ingredients for s'mores. There is something about how this saloon is laid out that makes you feel so at-home. If you want someone to make you a special drink, all you have to do is pick up the phone. The hospitality and service at Twin Farms is top notch. Here is the perfect example. My husband drinks heineken which Twin Farms did not stock. As we were sitting by the pond enjoying the glorious day we decided to order a cheese plate. When delivered to us there in a bucket of ice were 4 heinekens. They went to the store specifically to purchase my husbands brand of beer. This is what I would call attention to detail! Every meal was fantastic and paired with fabulous wines. What I really love about twin farms is the ease that comes with it being all-inclusive. No worry about bills or extra added charges. I do believe this add to the relaxation factor. My husband and I gravitate towards 5 star all-incluve resorts specifically for this reason.
We will absolutely return to twin farms again and again as it is one of our favorite places in the country. I'm already planning my daughters wedding there and she's only 13!
I only wish it were closer and I wish more resorts would use them as an example and strive to be as perfect as they are. Thank you Twin Farms for simply existing.

Room Tip: The price is steep but I highly recommend opting for one of the cottages.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HWY_71
Twin_Farms, Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your detailed and exuberant review, and for helping prospective guests understand that the true value of Twin Farms lies in its exceptional details -- which you, as a designer, certainly understand -- and the feelings the atmosphere and cuisine evoke. The "epitome of tranquility" is exactly right!

We look forward to your daughter's wedding in another 13 years or so. Meanwhile, thanks again for visiting and sharing your experience!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnard
506 On The River Inn
Jackson House Inn
Jackson House Inn
#1 of 16 in Woodstock
The Village Inn of Woodstock

Been to Twin Farms? Share your experiences!