“You get what you pay for”

WoodSpring Suites Salt Lake City
Budapest, Hungary
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We booked 5 nights for this place, specifying a non-smoking room. The room smelled of smoke, and stale food. There was ashtray, which indicated that it was a smoking room. Since there was a convention in town, they were fully booked, and we were stuck with the stinky room. Had to go out and purchase Fabreeze. Fortunately, we didn't spend much time in room, because we went a friend's wedding, and spent most time away from motel. The bed is small, furniture sparse, otherwise clean. Also,they charged us a $100 deposit which was supposed to be refunded the day of our checkout. It's been 2 days, we haven't seen the refund.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gabriella W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I made reservations for the week up to and including Christmas 2012 for myself and my brother. These were made in late October or early November. I requested a room with one bed and a sleeper sofa, non-smoking. I was told that the room would be available but I would have to wait until a week before my trip to ask for non-smoking. Really? A little strange, but OK.

About a week before the trip I called about the reservations and was told that there was no room with a sleeper sofa available after all. Hmmm. That was a problem, but we figured we could work around it. I then stated that my flight would not arrive until well past the posted office hours. I did not anticipate getting to the "motel" until after 11pm. I was assured that this was no problem as there was a night manager living on the premises and that person could check us in once we contacted them through a lobby phone. OK, that seemed workable.

My brother does not live too far away from West Valley, so he picked me up at the airport and we went to the ValuePlace. My flight had been delayed so it was about midnight when we arrived. I entered the lobby, picked up the house phone and dialed the extension printed on the instructions. The call was obviously forwarded to a second phone number which provided the recording "the number you are attempting to reach is no longer in service".

I tried the alternate extension on the instructions and the line rang endlessly. We tried both numbers repeatedly, with the same results. Finally I called the central "Customer Service" number which apparently serves the entire chain. The representative was very friendly and helpful. She attempted to reach the night manager with no success. She then contacted the "area manager" and reported back to me that he was on his way from his home to check us in. After 40 minutes I called her back to report that no one had arrived. She called him again and reported back that no one was answering the phone at his number. We waited another 20 minutes and gave up.

Obviously, we found different accommodations. The next day I called the West Valley ValuePlace and asked for an explanation of the problems the night before. They took my number and told me that a manager would call me back. Surprise, surprise, no call was ever received.

If I had been traveling by myself, I can't imagine what I would have done. Even if I had been with another person, suppose we had been dropped off there by a taxi? We would have been stranded in the middle of the night in a strange town. There was not much in the way of safe shelter within walking distance.

I was fortunate in that my brother knew the area and we were able to find another place. It didn't have the amenities (stove, refrigerator, etc) that we had been planning, but at least it ran like a real business and we didn't feel like we might be crime victims at any minute.

The rooms may have been just fine, but I have a feeling this place is operated for the more permanent residents. That's fine, but don't pretend to have motel like services when you clearly don't. This was a disturbing experience with a very unprofessional operation. Travelers should beware!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jackie W
LIPVP, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Salt Lake City, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments and feedback. Please know that all comments are used as additional training tools for the staff. Our true goal is to have happy and satisfied guest. Thanks again for the feedback.