Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Valley City - Waterpark
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Valley City
Reviewed April 4, 2012

This was our first time staying here, and we have had a few friends tell us we needed to stay here. It was awesome! The waterpark was a blast we couldn't get out kids out of the pool. The Staff was very friendly. The room was very clean and the beds were quite comfy for a hotel! The breakfast was very nice. We have 3 kids and it gave them all what they wanted as far as choices. We didn't go to breakfast until 8:30 am and I was very worried that it would be very picked over, but I looked like breakfast had just barely started. Everything was well stocked and fresh! The hotel is located near a lot of restaurants, which was very helpful. The only bad thing about this hotel is it is right off the freeway so you do get the freeway noise at night. Our room was located on the other side of the hotel and I could still hear the freeway. But like I said this was the only down fall. Everything else was just grand!

Room Tip: Get a room farthest away from the freeway to cut down on noise level.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed March 14, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel three times now and it has always been pretty decent. I give it a four rating because it is very beneficial when you have kids staying with you. All three times we had kids so that was our main reason for staying. The pool is very fun and can entertain them for hours. One of our kids was too short to ride the large slide, but they have other things for the smaller children. He was very disappointed though. The second time we went the pool was packed with children. They often have birthdays and since there are two hotels connected and they share the same pool, it is always pretty busy. We even got there at 9 am and not ten minutes later it was almost full, but there is lots of room and even the hot tub can hold 15+ people or so while still being comfortable. They also have a game room and a snack counter where you can order pizza's and drinks in all sizes and you can have birthday parties. We ordered pizza once and it was decent. Not something I would order if I had other options, but the kids didn't care and they ate two pizza's after swimming for three hours.
The location is also very nice as it is right across from the Maverick Center and there is a movie theater just around the corner. A few blocks away is a mall with lots of dining options and there are some great dining options closer as well (Chili's, IHOP, Steakhouses, pubs, ect.). I recommend visiting "The Puck" if you don't have children and want to go to a sports bar. The food is delicious and they have a full bar, plus several beers on tap. It is pretty popular though and can get busy.
Back to the hotel though, the breakfast in the morning was pretty good. I have had better breakfasts, but they had a very large array of food options and drinks. Two of the three times we stayed it was biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs or an omelet, sausage or ham. They list what will be for breakfast on what days so that is handy. Plus they have all sorts of other items also like pancake machine, waffles that you can heat in a toaster, bread, fruits, cereal, yogurt, ect. Overall the breakfast is worth the stay and it is free with your room so you can't go wrong there.
Everything is clean and nicely kept, especially for the amount of kids that are running around the place.
The rooms were kind of weird because though we booked the same type of room, two times we had a room without a fridge and microwave, and one time we did have the fridge and microwave. We also had family staying next to us the time that we did have the fridge and microwave, and their room did not have one. So again, I say it is kind of weird. Who knows?
The only bad thing is the amount of kids in the pool does make the water failry mirky, which you will have with that many children. This is not really a place for people without children though or if you are annoyed by children easily because there are so many. We could hear them in the halls running and jumping around, but we are used to it with two kids of our own.
The other thing is that I would have preferred to know that the rooms did or did not have microwave and fridge because we did bring back food twice thinking that they did and it went to waste because the rooms were not equipped with them.
Other than that our stay was great, and we got to spin the wheel for our extra points on the Priority Club card which was kind of neat.

Room Tip: Request a room that has a fridge and microwave if you need one. Apparently they don't all come w...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LuvTheMemories
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Spent last Saturday Night here. A terric place The room was clean and Quiet the staff was Great! If you have a family the small water park is connected to the hotel so you have close access. The location is good so you avoid the downtown traffic. I'll be back when I'm in Salt Lake.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This is a comfortable hotel, and the access to the "play pool" with water slide is a big plus for families with kids. It is a big draw for us when my family needs a night in the Salt Lake area. The "waterpark" as it's called is not really that spectacular - I've seen others at different hotels that absolutely dwarf this one. But it's the only hotel-affiliated water slide of its type in the area that I am aware of. My kids love it. There are a couple of small pools, one with a basketball hoop, a shallow toddler pool with a splash feature and slide, a large jetted spa, and the 183-foot waterslide (84" height requirement). Concessions are available near the pool during certain hours (popcorn, pizza, hot dogs, ice cream, etc).
The room was standard Holiday Inn Express. It was newer and clean, with free internet that was quick and a HDTV with actual HD content. I found the king bed to be comfortable, but the sofa sleeper bed was only twin sized, not double or queen as found in other hotels.
Because the waterpark is a draw for families, be aware that children will be heard outside your room in the hallways and elevators. Breakfast can be really crazy with all the kids, but I found that things were kept clean and restocked quickly.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed here with my niece (11) and nephew (8) in mid October. We drove in from Denver for a burger at In-N-Out and saw the hotel from the highway. The water slide is what caught their eyes! We were able to book and got a decent rate, even for last minute...less than $120. The kids LOVED the water park and I was glad they had some place to play after spending all day in the Jeep. The breakfast was warm (and included in our rate) and the kids aren't too picky, so that was a nice addition. The beds were super comfy, which isnt always true of hotels. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I really appreciated that the water park had life guards on duty...makes the pool safer! Overall, I would stay here again should I find myself in the area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank RAH_RAHx2
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Nice place. It isn’t a five diamond resort, it’s a Holiday Inn, so if you’re going in with that expectation you’re going to be disappointed. As you probably know this place has a mini-‘water park’ in the hotel. This waterpark is probably what attracts most people (ie families with children) to the hotel. Children are children, loud at times, full of energy and yes some don’t know what manners are but again if you have the right expectations going in you probably will check out being satisfied with your stay. Our room was clean, beds were OK (not great not bad) and I would rate the staff about 5 out of 10 as far as politeness in offering customer service goes. We were there on a staycation type of trip and overall a pretty good stay. To be fair, the kids probably thought this was the best hotel ever...given the waterpark inside.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Easy to get to off of I-215 in a quiet area near the Maverick Center. Lots of shopping and restaurants within short driving distance. Fairly new property and well kept. Evening cookies at the front desk. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Room away from elevator/vending are quietest. Backside of hotel overlooks empty real estate.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple