“Not by the airport”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, West Valley City
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in West Valley City
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We were told they are near the airport! You should see all of the great hotels that ARE right by the airport and this is NOT one of them. We have stayed at alot of Country Inn and Suites and this was the worst one we have ever encountered. Usually we are pleased with all of the Carlson properties but not this one. We cancelled our return night and stayed at a Fairfield that actually was by the airport and it cost less than the West Valley Country Inn and Suites.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank linakaLima
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Dear linakaLima,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are sorry that you were not happy with your stay. Our hotel is located approximately 9 miles from the airport. We do however offer a shuttle service to the airport. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. Guest feedback is very important to us. It allows us to make the necessary changes to our hotel to make it better. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Probably one of the worst stays to date and it was mainly because of the staff. After checking in and making our way to our assigned room, we were greeted by the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke in our room. This hotel is smoke-free and my reservation specifically said 'non-smoking room'. I realize that it wasn't the staff working at the front desk's fault, so I explained that our room smelled like cigarette smoke and we would like a different room. I'm not sure what kind of training is being given, but if a guest says their room smells like smoke, who are you to say "Well none of our rooms are smoking" and then look at me like I was some kind of lunatic. Are you kidding me? Go up there and smell the dang room! It was more trouble for us to have to move our stuff to another room and get that all settled in then it was for you to get us a room that didn't stink. Our new room itself was fairly nice considering it was outdated; however we didn't sleep a wink. This hotel is too close to late-night restaurants and the main streets/freeway. Every time we started to fall asleep a loud car muffler would wake us. After 4 hours of sleep, we decided to leave before they even put out breakfast. Not worth the stay considering the price of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the hotel hear the street/freeway and parking lot traffic late at night...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bob L
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Motel rooms, breakfast, service, etc is up to the Comfort Inn standards that I have found across the USA. And the price is reasonable for the accomodation. However in a rating of motels of this brand in which I have stayed, this is the worst. They always park a 12 passenger van in the 24-ft wide passenger unloading area. Customers park similar size vans in the overnight parking spaces. When I arrived the unloading area was occupied by the motel van and customers cars parked behind, I parked beside the van and went inside to check in. Wife starts to unload. Car owner comes out. Wife seeing car wne is blocked, reloads our car and moves it to over it parking.g

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jimmy62_11
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, West Valley City, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear Jimmy62_11,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are very sorry for the inconvenience that you encountered in the loading area. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. We will pass your concerns about this on to our management. Customer feedback is very important to us. It helps us make the necessary improvements to make our hotel better. Thank you for your time..

Reviewed May 8, 2012

We were quite happy with our 1 bedroom king suite. Comfortable bed, door to separate the bedroom from the 'living room'---traveled with my son and I snore so the door makes all the difference! He was happy with the pull out couch. Refrigerator, microwave and even a sink made for a 'kitchen' between the rooms. My son loved the pool and hot tub. Breakfast was good--real eggs, make your own waffles, etc. Pleasant staff. Thank you to the blond lady who helped me get my boarding pass printed for Southwest.
There are numerous chain restaurants in walkng distance, all of which were pretty good, Applebees, Chili's, IHOP, Cracker Barrel, and more. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank myersj125
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, West Valley City, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Dear myersj125,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so glad that we could accommodate you and your son, during your trip. We are glad that you enjoyed your suite. We appreciate your comments. We will pass them on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Country Inn & Suites West Valley City

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Most of the staff were friendly and helpful. I felt one of the desk clerk was nice when I spoke to her but disregarded my request for a refrig. I requested for a fridge the next day by another clerk and had one in the room by the time we returned from sightseeing. The spa was quite dated & looked dirty but actually was clean as well as the pool. They no longer had a gym on sight but offered us a complimentary to a gym 10 min down the street...inconvenient. The rooms were clean and the location was great...close to interstates and stores. It was about 10 min from downtown SLC. The hot breakfast eggs were mushy and the meat didn't tast like meat. We stuck to the fruit, hot waffles and cereal.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mom2AATs
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, West Valley City, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Dear Mom2AAT's

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay. Thank you for your comments about your stay. We appreciate those comments. We are currently looking into all of your concerns about our hotel. We hope that they were not an inconvenience to you in anyway. We are always looking for new ways to improve our hotel. We also strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Country Inn & Suites West Valley City

Reviewed April 6, 2012

I've stayed at this Country Inn & Suites many times (5+). I've booked the 1 bedroom suite, queen room, jacuzzi room, I've been in almost every category at this location. My last visit was not what I've come to expect from this property.

This is the first time that a fridge was not provided to me in my room. When I booked it in my GDS, it stated the room came with a fridge. I questioned it with the front desk and they said only "some" rooms had fridges. Well, there's a first time for everything. Not a big deal. It was just news to me.

Then there was the housekeeping staff. If we were not up and out of the room by 8:30AM - We didn't get service. Which sucked. We had to ask for toilet paper and towels. The one day we were out right at 8:30 for breakfast, we came back to find the beds made, but the rubbish wasn't cleared and no towels. Five nights we stayed and housekeeping did not take out the rubbish at all. We're usually up late and don't get to bed until about 2am so to get up so early just to get housekeeping done was more stressful than relaxing.

The room itself was not the best room I've had at this property. There were tiny holes in the black out blinds, a big space in the entertainment area where the fridge was supposed to be, the chairs at the table are worn to the wood and the paint on the bathroom door along the edge made the door stick. There was also a room key left on the serving tray from the last tenant. Not impressed.

My boyfriend went down for breakfast every breakfast every day. He said the bacon the first day was tough and hurt his teeth. The rest of the time, breakfast was okay. They change out the breakfast everyday. The day I went to breakfast, they had biscuits and gravy (they ran out of something, that they didn't replace). I didn't go to breakfast again at the hotel. Instead we opted for IHOP kiddie-corner from the hotel.

Overall, the property is clean. Even though housekeeping didn't empty out the rubbish bins in our room, it didn't mean we were in a state of disrepair. The staff are nice but not especially responsive. We even ran into the housekeeping staff in the hallway who were cleaning another room. We asked for housekeeping service but were disappointed that it didn't happen. The location is the best thing. I love the location which brings me back once or even twice a year. But after this, I may opt for another property as the Country Inn & Suites are not the only property in this same area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stay here on business every time I am in town. This hotel has a centralized location to all of the area's ammenities. The rates are quite reasonable and the hotel is very clean. The staff seems to go out of there way to ensure guests are comfortable. The free breakfast and gym pass to Gold's Gym make this place my hotel of choice in the area. Restaurants, and bars (this is tough in SLC) are within walking distance. I would recomend this place if you need a nice room for a great price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike R
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, West Valley City, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2012

Dear Mike R,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay. We appreciate all of your comments. We are happy that we could accommodate you. We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel. We will pass all of your comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job.

Thank you again for your review. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.