“Very cold”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wendover
Seattle, Washington
“Very cold”
Reviewed January 16, 2007

I stayed here for one night during a road trip across the country. I had planned on staying at the Motel 6 just down the street, but decided to spend a few more dollars to stay at the Econo Lodge so I could use the wifi connection. It was not worth the extra $4.

I found that the room was sufficiently clean for a budget hotel, but the hallways were dark and damp. I noticed that the water coming from the faucet in the bath tub was yellow. The water coming from the shower head did not seem to be discolored, though.

There was only a small wall mounted A/C unit to provide heat for the entire room. The door to the room was not sealed properly, so there was a very strong, cold draft through the night. Luckily, I had a small portable air heater in my car that helped to warm things up a little. It would have been a very cold, uncomfortable night without that heater.

I would recommend that budget travelers look elsewhere.

To their credit, the front desk staff was very polite. I decided not complain about the cold or the discolored water, so they did not have a chance to correct any problems.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Lisa V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 28, 2005

Arrived after long day fighting winter hiways. We chose this motel and booked it a few days before, when we found things were filling up with holiday travel. It is pet friendly, no argument.

However, the first room we were given was so bad my wife said "let's get out of here". The floor was dirty, hadn't been vacuumed, the sheets looked like they were probably not fresh, and were very used.

The manager offered another room and was very apologetic. The entire staff spoke little or very poor english.

We looked at the second room and decided we could survive one night in it. Sheets were thin, worn, but seemed to be clean. The floor was cleaner than the first room, but when I got down on the floor to clean up a spilled glass of water, my eyes adjusted to the low light and I could see that even this room was poorly cleaned.

There was no clock in the room to set an alarm, so I called the desk to request a wakeup. They took the information, but we were called back later by the manager telling us we had to dial our own wakeup a special way, that they couldn't do it. There were no instructions in the room for this. There was no confirmation that your wakeup was received by the automated system, so I called my son at home and asked him to wake us at the appropriate time. The automated system DID work, it just didn't give us a reassuring confirmation, no beeps or anything at all.

This place is definitely on my do-not-call list for the future.

• Stayed December 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Wendover hotels

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 2, 2004

I try to be fair and balanced in all my travel reviews, and see the good along with the bad, but I finally ran into a place that frankly, I believe, should be out of business. We arrived late on a road trip, and had been directed to this property by a casino-hotel nearby, which did not take pets. I paid in advance, and we went to our room, which was in a half-basement, and smelled awful (mold/mildew). The carpet was deeply worn and somewhat damp. The mattresses were completely shot, and one had an unpleasant stain. The lighting in the room was so bad (low wattage compact fluorescents) that you could hardly read. And it was noisy. And worst of all, there was a commotion in the parking which appeared to be an altercation between a motorcyle gang and some guys in pickup trucks. We tried to call the front desk to change rooms, but there was no answer! At that point we looked at each other, packed up the cat, and simply fled, even though it was 11 pm in a snowstorm. We got a room at a Super 8 in the next town. I contacted EconoLodge and was given a full refund.

26 Thank sfo2lhr