“Going back again someday...”

Don Hatch River Expeditions
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Vernal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We did the Split Mtn 1 day raft. The weather was unusually cold and windy and we were leery about going. But they gave us jackets and really went out of there way to make us feel better. Our guides were Danny and Tony and they were GREAT! Danny was full of knowledge and his stories were so interesting. On our way back we stopped at the Dinosaur Quarry and Tony was full of knowledge there. Our lunch was very good and we were stuffed. Despite the weather we had a wonderful time. The scenery is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I will book with them again when we concur the Yampa River....

There are newer reviews for Don Hatch River Expeditions

Reviewed September 25, 2011

We did a one day trip though Dinosaur National Park. The trip takes you to places you would not otherwise see in the park. The river is gorgeous. The guides seemed very knowledgeable and made sure that everyone, even my 7 year old daughter, had a good time on the trip. Lunch was both tasty and filling and there was enough variety that everyone got what they wanted.

If I find myself in that part of the world again, I'd happily do the trip a second time.

1  Thank Heartfruit
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I found this researching TA of all things, and may I say it more than lived up to the great comments.

Once you contact Don Hatch, they get you to sign all the paperwork needed. When you arrive, you are provided your gear, and you hop onboard the bus which takes you out to the departure area, with a short side trip to hike up and see the petroglyphs on the side of the cliffs.

Safety training is also provided prior to disembarking. The fun and laughter are real.

My two teens had never white water rafted before. They were dubious. “Are we gonna get wet?” Further, my daughter, though game for activity like this, is not much of a swimmer. No matter, the training included the phrase “Nose and toes” ie if you fall in, put your feet in front of you (your toes) and face ahead (nose front), letting the stream take you down river. Your PFD (personal floatation device) will keep you bobbing away.

Our guide was both a professional and well trained in safety and river guiding, and he was also genuinely funny, and we quickly began telling each other silly jokes, swapping stories, but we listened when he told us “paddle forward!” On one part of the river he taught us how to do “river surfing”, a blast to do, hard to paddle against the current, and we got good and wet. All worth it.

During stretches of calm water, splashing others boats was encouraged, and a few nifty water guns appeared from the guides, spraying each other and laughing at the antics. Given the heat of the day, the water felt wonderful.

At one point my son decided to “spray the guide” One turn around the river, and my son found himself “in the water”….he started singing “Nose and Toes!” We would have pulled him back in the raft sooner but he enjoyed gliding down the river singing away.

Lunch was provided, substantial sandwiches (beef, turkey, pastrami) or peanut butter and jelly. We were taught to clean up and minimize impact on our surroundings. And we also stopped along the way to enjoy a gurgling warm water stream coming from the earth.

Great fun, great memories. For a day, we were all kids, playing, splashing, rowing hard, and being “in the moment” with the beauty of Utah.

Thank you Don Hatch!

2  Thank aswessen
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Just returned from a 5 day, 4 night Yampa River White Water Rafting Trip with Don Hatch River Expeditions.....with 24 family members ages 12 - 56. Amazing vacation!! Everything Hatch did for us was top notch! Our 5 guides were amazing. 3 cheers for Russell, TomTom, Steve, Elliot, and Peter Mon - they took such good care of us. The rafts and camping equipment they supplied were as good as it gets, 3 meals a day were delicious, plentiful and gourmet, and they even escorted us on some amazing hikes to beautiful places most people never even dream of. Highly recommend this trip to any family seeking adventure and good times!

1  Thank mab0924
Reviewed June 24, 2008

My family just got back from a 4 day river rafting trip on the Green River, Dinosaur National Monument. It was one of the best, if not THE best, vacation we've ever taken. The guides were amazing, the scenery was beautiful, and everyone was there to have FUN! I would definitely go again!! My kids, 7 and 9, as well as my 68 yo mother, loved it too. A great experience for all!

4  Thank capuzzi2