“Looks can fool you”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Vernal
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Don't let the exterior fool you, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I called the Choice Hotel phone line (for each 2 stays (max 4) you get a $50 gift card for Chili's restaurant if you reserve on line or call. This hotel is located in Vernal, UT close to Flaming Gorge National Reservoir and Dinosaur National Monument. For $60 (included tax) we were pleasantly surprised. The Motel is nothing to look at, believe me I wouldn't have given it a second glance but the Trip Advisor reviews were OK. I was lucky to get a non-smoking handicapped room (last non-smoking left). What a nice suprise. It was very clean, TV, WiFi, Contental breakfast (nothing special), iron, ironing board, frig, microwave and king bed, but no newspaper. I slept very well.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Gumbylives10

Reviewed June 7, 2010

Where do I begin..... 1. I booked this room because I was traveling with a toy dog. I went online and this was one of the two hotels in this town that allows pets. The hotel clerk accused me of sneaking my pet into the hotel. (Even though I was walking him around the building on and off the entire stay.) I NEVER would have stayed at this establishment if I did not need pet friendly accommodations. 2. The front desk person is SO RUDE! I booked this hotel by calling the 800 number on the website. Apparently this as an issue for the front desk person. He speaks very little English and acts as though he is doing you a HUGE favor by allowing you into his hotel. (Snide tones and dirty looks even..) We decided to leave one day early and he told me I had to call the 800 number and get my money back from them.. (Is this not one company?!) Rather than tracking someone down for reimbursement we stayed. With that it was an issue to get housekeeping service. The housekeeping staff was genuinely nice. However, they speak NO English. Kind of hard to communicate what you want done with NO way to communicate.. They did a good job considering what they had to work with. 3.The rooms are SO old and disgusting. Above the shower the ceiling is black (Mold?) and it looks as though the ceiling was going to cave in. The carpets are dirty and VERY smelly! You could tell someone used Lysol right before we got there. The microwave and coffee maker sounded like they were going to blow up. The "flat screen" television cut in and out and was not in good picture quality. Beds were VERY old and uncomfortable. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!! There is another pet friendly hotel in Vernal it HAS to be better than his place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Very clean and comfortable, out going friendly staff, great location! Give them a try if your in the area you can't go wrong especially with the amazing price...

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TeriandDave
Reviewed August 15, 2009

This motel is under new management. They have spent some time and made repairs. It shouldn't be judged against The Waldorf Astoria. It is nice for it's stated price range. As Econolodge motels go, it is in the top of it's class. The pool and spa were very clean. The room we had was clean. The staff was very nice too. It is in a good area with a gas station convenience store across the street. No problems with this one. Great price for the area also. Free wifi and standard continental breakfast inclued also. Breakfast area was very clean and stocked well.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank dm8711
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We were not planning on staying in Vernal, but the meeting we had planned went into the next day. After reading the previous reviews, I was very leery of staying here. We checked in, and got a decent price for the room, especially for Vernal in the summer. The exterior has been redone, the room was clean, including the bathroom. We had a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, and a new flat-screen TV. The beds were great, the air conditioner worked wonderfully. New management in the last year, and they have been working on it. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Nice people at the front desk.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We were looking for an econo place, and the price was not too bad, but if you can afford more, choose some place else. It had all the amenities of a really good hotel, like an ironing board, safe, little bottles of bath items, but the place was not very clean because it is old. The carpets need to be replaced and the power outlet by the sink didn't work. I told the management and it didn't get fixed by the 2nd night. It had a hair dryer, but with no power, it didn't work. The "continental breakfast" was some donuts and coffee & juice served in a room about the size of a closet, with a 2-person sofa for the seating! On the plus side, it did have secure Wifi. When we returned to Vernal, we chose a different hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2009

I paid $80 for a room that I knew shouldn't cost more than $35 in any other market; then found that the room was still somewhat unclean (carpet/towels/sheets were dingy), the door wouldn't lock (no latch, and deadbolt didn't work), there was toilet paper/tissue stuffed in the door's peep hole, the faucet drips constantly, and the wallpaper in the bathroom is peeling off the wall.

As if it wasn't already an awful experience, the manager/owner decided to make it worse by barging in on me and telling me (wrongfully) that it was time to check out. This was extremely unnerving, and confirmed my feeling that the property was unsafe and uncomfortable. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank cassiel_az
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernal
Comfort Inn & Suites
#12 of 15 in Vernal
Antlers Inn
Antlers Inn
#5 of 15 in Vernal

Been to Econo Lodge Downtown? Share your experiences!