“Still nice but needs a little extra attention”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Stone Canyon Inn

Stone Canyon Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Tropic
San Jose, CA
“Still nice but needs a little extra attention”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our third visit at the Stone Canyon Inn. Again we stayed in the "Cliffrose" cabin.
The cabin was clean when we arrived. Upon entering the cabin I noticed that someone damaged the back of the kitchen counter. I took a picture and immediately made the reception desk aware of it. They didn't seem too concerned.
The beds were good, the hot tub on the deck was hot and in spotless condition. What was lacking was silverware, kitchen towels and the terrible condition of the pans and pots.
Since the stay in the cabins doesn't include breakfast but the cabins have a fully equipped kitchen it is normal to expect that people will prepare their food at the cabin. The gas stove worked really great but the pans were warped and the teflon coating was coming off in the center of the pans. The pans actually looked like they were the same from several years ago.
Aside from the pan issue we really enjoyed our sty at this beautiful setting. The location is close to Bryce and Kodachrome, so it is perfect for day hikes. The grocery store down the road is well equipped and offers almost everything one needs.
All in all this was a very pleasant experience and we would come again, we just hope they will have new pots and pans in the kitchen ;-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I can't say enough good things about Stone Canyon Inn. I just took a long anticipated trip to southern Utah to see the National Parks across the southern part of the state. my two nights at
Stone Canyon were the highlight of my trip. it's an easy 15 min drive to Bryce and the accomodations were nothing short of lovely, the hostesses and hosts were friendly, helpful and
extraordinarily congenial. Breakfast was OUTSTANDING both days. The place was immaculate even by my standards and I am a neat freak. I live a crazy busy life and the next time I need a couple of days away from the world, I may just fly to Utah and drive to Stone Canyon Inn, sit on the fabulous deck overlooking the water feature and garden in the desert, drinking wine, and watching the birds all around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

(1) The good: Excellent location, situated midway between Bryce Canyon National Park (20 min. drive) and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, both of which offer tremendous hiking and visual experiences. Our group included two couples and we shared a cabin with two bedrooms, a kitchen and a living room. The outdoor hot tub with a sweet view of a full moon rise was outstanding. The kitchen was equipped with basic utensil needs and coffee. The innkeepers were very friendly and offered helpful hiking tips. The Inn was located a short drive to the small town of Tropic where there were good pizza and basic dining restaurants (Clarke's) and a gas station. (2) The bad: Our cabin had a strong ammonia or other cleaning product odor. The rooms were very small and left very little room for our luggage or minimal storage. The hot tub could have been cleaner as well but it did work and those views were magnificent. Maybe this is normal in B&B's but there was no maid service and we had to carry our trash to a dumpster (only a 75 yard walk) before vacating. All in all, not bad for a 2 night stay. There are not a ton of great choices if you want to visit Bryce and don't want to stay in a Best Western so Stone Canyon Inn was a decent choice but not overwhelmingly great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank David L
Kailua, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We could go on and on about the beauty of Bryce Canyon, but what made our visit remarkable was the way we ended the day. Stone Canyon Inn is so well run, spotlessly clean with comfortable beds, spacious rooms and everything we could possibly need. The breakfast was beyond compare, the food was delicious and beautifully presented and the coffee was the best we have ever had. To top it off the owners Mike and Dixie were so gracious and helpful. We would recommend it to anyone looking to be spoiled after a day of adventure. Mahalo Mike and Dixie!

Honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I will start this review by saying that there are lots of places to stay between Bryce and Escalante. This includes motels, cabins, B&Bs, state parks with cabins, ranches, etc. If I was doing this trip again, I would not make reservations and simply decide at the end of the day where I wanted to stay. With the exception of the national park, it is easy to find a room for the night.

Stone Canyon Inn is an upscale B&B immaculately maintained, very clean. I was in the Cedar Room and it was plenty roomy with a nice layout. But it was not perfect. First the nit picky: the shade was broken on one of the large picture windows in my room and there was no attempt to fix or replace it during the three nights I was there. Second, there was litter scattered on the ground outside my window and it remained there throughout my stay. Third, the shampoo mini bottles were not replaced. SInce I was paying the same rate for each night, shouldn't I get a shampoo bootle replaced every day without having to ask for it?

Now for the more serious concerns. Every step and movement in the room above mine was easily heard in my room. Soundproofing was completely lacking. And most disconcerting of all was the loud motor located outside my room that fired on and off throughout the day and night. This ruined the experience of sitting on the private deck. Even with the windows closed, it was LOUD.

The breakfasts were uneven. Some of the dishes were excellent and some not so good. Way too much refined sugar was used for my taste. And I missed not having any fresh fruit.

Finally, Dixie (the owner) was very helpful in planning out day hikes but unfortunately she was only there on the first day.

Room Tip: select a second story room so you do not hear the footsteps and other noise from the other guest
Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The range of hotels right next to the entrance of Bryce National Park is very limited (unlike Zion). Stone Canyon is about a 20 minute drive from Bryce in a small town of Tropic. And it is a mile or so off the main road in Tropic - a bit hard to find. But when you get to there you will know you found a great spot. You can either stay in the main house, or have a private house to yourself. We opted for a private house with kitchen which was great. Very well furnished, and very very quiet. And unlike Zion, there is not a good selection of restaurants around Bryce (putting it mildly), so having a fully equipped kitchen was nice.

1 Thank TigerFord7571
Pocono Pines, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I would HIGHLY recommend this B&B to anyone that is traveling to Bryce or the Grand Staircase. The accommodations are luxurious with the best products. Dixie and Mike, the inn keepers, are delightful. They helped us to plan everyday to get the maximum out of our trip. The breakfasts were to die for. I truly believe this was the best experience at a B&B we have ever had. Thank you so much!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tropic
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel
Bryce Canyon Inn
Bryce Canyon Inn
#2 of 6 in Tropic
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,355 reviews

Been to Stone Canyon Inn? Share your experiences!