“Mule riding from South rim down to Phantom Ranch and back up...”

Grand Canyon North Rim Mule Rides -Tour
Warsaw, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Mule riding from South rim down to Phantom Ranch and back up...”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We went with a group of ten family members. All of us had a great ride, however a few of us were really sore. The mules were very sure-footed and they walked in "pilot mode". Once you learn to trust your mule, it is not too scary. It was fun to stay at Phantom Ranch, but we did not have any running water. We had to use buckets of water to flush the toilets. We did have drinking water though. It was a neat experience, but it is definitely exhausting.

1 Thank thedeckers04

Bethesda, Maryland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Fantastic Ride!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Our family (mom, dad and two teenaged children) loved our mule trip down the north rim of the Grand Canyon. We had already been to the south rim and were struck by the contrast between the two sides. The north rim was more lush with aspen and pine trees and at least 10 degrees cooler. The north rim also had a much more laid back vibe about it: less hectic; no bus tours.

The mule trip we took was half a day. We traveled down to the Supai tunnel which was quite beautiful. Our guide, Kevin, was excellent.

All of us were inexperienced riders and a little apprehensive but the tour assistants and our guide made us feel very comfortable. It was a highlight of our trip.

1 Thank Helen T
Chico, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“bright angel trail”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is by far the very best way to see the canyon on the bright angel trail. It is a steep ride down and then back up. Many hikers were suffering on the way up. The mules are so friendly stable and a surprisingly comfortable ride! The staff is so knowledgeable and fun. I am terrified of horses after 2 disturbing experiences, and I had a moment of "What did I just get myself into" as we started the trail. Within 1 or 2 switchbacks I was all smiles and relaxed as could be. This made our trip to the grand canyon perfect!

Newton, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A bit scary but fun”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We took the 1/2 day mule ride to Supan Tunnel. The narrow, switch-back trails with drop-offs in some spots are definitely a bit scary, until you learn to trust your mule. The downhill portion is much harder than the uphill because many of the mule's steps are quite jarring as they navigate the roots and rocks and steeper sections of the trails. I felt a little nervous that I could lose my balance and fall off, but with the horn to grab onto I figured I could manage. I was also worried beforehand that my back and butt would feel the results for several days afterwards (I'm a mid-60's female), but I felt no ill-effects at all afterwards. The scenery was, of course, spectacular, and the trip was well-worth it.

I wanted to take some pictures along the way, but usually needed 2 hands to hang onto the horn so I didn't get very many.

The guide was very helpful and accommodating and contributed to a great experience.

2 Thank LMarkmanNewton