“Stayed in the campsite”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Tropic
loomis ca
“Stayed in the campsite”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

While most people stay in the cabins, we opted for the campgrounds. Picnic table and restrooms nearby. It could have used a bit more shade and the restrooms needed attention, but staff was very friendly there. Tropic is about 15 minutes away from the entrance to Bryce National Park and not a bad option for those on a budget. Not sure if it's windy all the time, but the wind really blew the 3 nights we were there in June. Made it difficult to cook or enjoy sitting outside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ernieLoomisCa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Staff was friendly and there was easy access to our room from parking lot. However, wifi didn't work, rooms were small, AC plug didn't work so I luckily changed plugs and it worked and we found 2 strange bugs about an inch long in our room and one crawled on me while trying to fall asleep.

I'd recommend somewhere else unless you need a place to stay like we did for the half marathon and everything else was booked and expensive.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Runforfunn
Forest Ranch, CA
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed two days at this location and can not recommend it.... The advertisement is miss-leading! These are NOT cabins. They are tiny, un-kept duplex units barely large enough to turn around in for a premium price. Tropic itself is a seasonal three block long stop to Bryce Canyon City where Bryce Canyon National Park exist... about ten miles further west on Hwy 12. Tropic's businesses are few and each charges ridiculous prices for what is offered. $14.00 for a bowl of pasta, $3.50 for a cup of bold coffee or a run through the one grocery store where I did fined an apple to eat. But the Bryce Pioneer Village is really the Tropic Pioneer Village that caters to foreign tourist brought in on buses. Unfortunately, the room I had was less then clean with worn-out towels, peeling paint, and no movie (HBO, Staz, Showtime)channels. In addition, the staff was so-so when it came to customer support. Top this with no access to the room until four PM, the rowdy bar that stays loud a stone's throw on the property, the dilapidated locks and doors and siding, and the 1.5 inch gap at the room's entry door bottom which allows in cold air and unwanted crawling creatures, etc... Just don't stay at this place. I'm glad my experience at this stop is over. Go the extra miles to Bryce Canyon City where you are next to the Canyon and not in an imitation/want-to-be scrap of a town named Tropic. You have to wonder why a three block town in the middle of a high desert is named Tropic?

Room Tip: Fined another hotel or cabins... There a many to choose from... and pay a little extra if you must.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank VitalSigns2626

Travelers are raving about these Tropic hotels

Logan, Utah
Reviewed May 20, 2013

There wasn't anything very nice about this motel, but I found it acceptable. I stayed there to enjoy Bryce Canyon, not for a luxurious hotel experience. My room was old and a little dingy, but it was clean. The water pressure in the shower was pretty low. I wasn't ever able to connect to the WIFI. There is a nice, grassy area with picnic tables behind the cabins. The staff was polite and helpful. I don't think I'd opt to stay here again, but it wasn't too bad and I don't have any serious complaints.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Fremont,utah
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed for the Bryce Canyon Half Marathon in July and it was horrible! we could not even get a cup of coffee! It was a single wide trailer made into a hotel and it smelled horrible! The beds were very uncomfortable! I will not waste my money here again! They have a great location just very poor upkeep.

Room Tip: dont waste your money
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rock Island, Illinois
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My spouse and I stayed at this property for two days this October on our first visit to Bryce National Park. I did not check the Trip Adviser reviews but got information from the Frommer's book on the National Parks. This motel was described as clean, a good value in a relatively good location. Frommer's also stated that the rooms had phones, WiFi, and that the property had two hot tubs. We did have a large room with a refrigerator and microwave. The appliances worked and the water was hot. This is where the compliments end. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, the WiFi did not work, there was no phone and the towels and sheets were disgusting. The towels were grey, frayed and smelly. The sheets were thin and barely covered the bed. When I asked for a phone for the room, the desk staff stated that I must not have found it. Well, I may be in my 60's but I know what an empty phone jack looks like. There were no hot tubs. Apparently the room that we occupied did not have WiFi reception since the siding interfered with the reception. It was suggested that I sit outside on a cold and rainy evening and maybe I could get some reception. The staff member appeared to neither know how to fix problems and/or did not care. I usually find some good things to say about places (I found the hot water to be the good thing) but in this case I would not recommend this property at all. This property needs a major overhaul and the staff needs a major attitude adjustment.

Room Tip: Try to stay closer to the park when visiting Bryce Canyon National Park
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank theavailablemom
Ivins
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you're coming on a big tour group bus, I guess this place would be OK. I was not happy that a bus started up its engine outside my window very early in the morning; after all, the main reason you go to a hotel is to get a good nights' sleep. I was even unhappier when my shower turned cold in the morning. Rude awakenings with very little amenities. I will not be back - ever!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tropic
Best Western Plus Ruby's Inn
#3 of 14 in Panguitch
Bryce View Lodge
Bryce View Lodge
#4 of 6 in Bryce

Been to Bryce Pioneer Village? Share your experiences!