New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Bryce Pioneer Village

Bryce Pioneer Village
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Tropic
Rock Island, Illinois
“This entire project needs an update”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My spouse and I stayed at this property for two days this October on our first visit to Bryce National Park. I did not check the Trip Adviser reviews but got information from the Frommer's book on the National Parks. This motel was described as clean, a good value in a relatively good location. Frommer's also stated that the rooms had phones, WiFi, and that the property had two hot tubs. We did have a large room with a refrigerator and microwave. The appliances worked and the water was hot. This is where the compliments end. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, the WiFi did not work, there was no phone and the towels and sheets were disgusting. The towels were grey, frayed and smelly. The sheets were thin and barely covered the bed. When I asked for a phone for the room, the desk staff stated that I must not have found it. Well, I may be in my 60's but I know what an empty phone jack looks like. There were no hot tubs. Apparently the room that we occupied did not have WiFi reception since the siding interfered with the reception. It was suggested that I sit outside on a cold and rainy evening and maybe I could get some reception. The staff member appeared to neither know how to fix problems and/or did not care. I usually find some good things to say about places (I found the hot water to be the good thing) but in this case I would not recommend this property at all. This property needs a major overhaul and the staff needs a major attitude adjustment.

Room Tip: Try to stay closer to the park when visiting Bryce Canyon National Park
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank theavailablemom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
Ivins
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you're coming on a big tour group bus, I guess this place would be OK. I was not happy that a bus started up its engine outside my window very early in the morning; after all, the main reason you go to a hotel is to get a good nights' sleep. I was even unhappier when my shower turned cold in the morning. Rude awakenings with very little amenities. I will not be back - ever!

• 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Tropic hotels

California City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Bryce Pioneer Village works, but does not impress.
Anyone who has made the Bryce Canyon trip knows the hotel situation. If you don't get into Ruby's you have to stay in Tropic (7 miles outside of Bryce).
Bryce Pioneer Village is one of those places in Tropic.
The hotel is built in a bungalow style with several buildings. I was first slotted into a room in the new building. It's across the river bed from the hotel lobby. Wifi did not work (bad signal). I moved across the river for the second night. Rooms are older on that side.
As the room was just for sleep, shower and leave it was fine.
Plus side:
1) Staff was great.
2) Walking distance to breakfast and store. I am all about park the car and stroll.

Room Tip: If WiFi is important, stay in rooms less than number 44. Over 44 is across the river. Try to get 24...
Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Doug423
Hereford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Arrived at hotel on part of fly drive booked though ATI. There seemed to be three sizes of wooden cabins. Wife suspected we would get the small ones at the rear. She was not wrong. The cabins can best be described as a large block of very small rooms. We found the room had one small bed a scruffy shower which had a strange type of small worm climbing from behind the tiles. Poor lighting, one ceiling light, window that did not lock properly and the main door had poor quality lock, so poor that we placed a chair behind it whilst sleeping. I suspect that this hotel save the worst rooms for ATI customers. I will be contacting ATI to advise them. Did not bother to complain as we suspected the complaint would have fallen on deaf ears

Room Tip: Dont even go to this hotel
1 Thank bundicus
Vero Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have stayed at many budget hotels around the country. This is one of the worst.

The positives are it had a bed, running water, and heat. The tv was digital, but only had around 10 channels. The best positive is that it is close to Bryce Canyon.

The room was dirty and old. The floor was not level, the bed was very hard. The hot water in the shower was not consistant and it did not drain. The outside door did not seal. They advertised Wi-Fi internet, but it was not working. No breakfast, but they had coffee in the lobby.

• 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Georden7 W
Huddersfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

If we hadn't arrived so late after spending a wonderful day in Bryce Canyon followed by a buffet supper in Ruby's, we would have found somewhere else to stay. It spoilt our 'perfect' day. I refused to set foot in the shower cubicle, use the towels or sleep in the bed, curtains were dirty and hanging off the wall,
It was booked through ATI and we have asked them to make sure that the remainder of the hotels booked for our self drive are not going to be like this......our hotels were supposed to be 'standard' or 'upgraded'...this falls a long way short of standard

Room Tip: Do not book any room
1 Thank BigAndyg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Do not stay here. This place is so dirty, dingy, old, unkept. The beds are terrible probably 20yrs old. The carpets are stained and unvacumed, the sheets and towels are so dirty and old you dont even dare touch them. The two front desk staff that we talked to Aly and Shauna are rude and dont seem to know what they are doing. Also I woke up to sores all over my arms due to bed bugs... DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank pwilkenson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tropic
BEST WESTERN PLUS Ruby's Inn
Grand Staircase Inn
Grand Staircase Inn
#1 of 1 in Cannonville
4.0 of 5 stars 485 reviews

Been to Bryce Pioneer Village? Share your experiences!