“Sundance is Sooo Beautiful in the Summer”
Review of Sundance Resort

Sundance Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sundance
Reviewed April 30, 2009

I went to Sundance in the Summer for the first time. I have been to Sundance for skiing many times but Summer was a whole new wonderful experience. It was sooo beautiful and luxuriously rustic. I had a wonderful time. The Spa was amazing. I highly recommend the Stone Massage. I went hiking (amazing waterfall), moutain biking and horseback riding. I did a half day of fly fishing with an excellent guide and caught my very first trout. My room had a fantastic view of the mountains and I could hear the stream below. It does not get any better than Sundance in the Summer!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed March 4, 2009

when i asked my teenage son what he thought of the skiing and the cottage we were staying in, he replyed "epic"! I think that means really great, but to my wife and me, it was the most secluded, romantic and stunning getaway this side of switzerland. tucked into it's own valley looking up at the peaks of the wasach mountians five thousand feet higher and only a mile away, the cottages (Mandan) a few yards up the hill have a view of the village from their rooms. skiing really is "epic" with lots of, groomers, powder and untracked runs if you look. don't miss the cross country skiing at Elk Medows just up the road...they will shuttle you up! The food is as good or better than the best in park city...and don't forget to keep an eye out for Bob!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2008

We planned this trip for our family of 6 several months ahead of our date when we found a great fare to Salt Lake City. We were told that a mountain top home would best suit the size of our party - 2 adults and 4 children, ages 5 - 14. We had a rental car and the trip from the airport is not bad.
When we arrived, we were shown to our home, which was absolutely only gotten to by driving from the main lodge - not a walkable distance. Our accomodations were large enough, but very dated. The washer/drier were non-functioning, the home had no central heat, just electric space heaters (!) and the deciphering the light switches took us longer than our 3 day stay - never totally figured it all out. Given the price we were paying, this was very disappointing.
On the positive side, the employees of Sundance were very helpful and gracious, the 2 art classes we took - pottery and silversmithing were wonderful and the food at the restaurant was delicious. My husband and I also received EXCEPTIONAL massages at the spa, and we are not amateurs.
The wild turkeys, horseback ride and trip to the top of the mountain were all nice.
Our major disappointment was in the accommodations. They are absolutely not 5 star. Additionally, the "gift shop" does not all reflect the wonderful items that are in the catalog. It was hard to believe the shop even spawned a catalog. They primarily sold Sundance t-shirts, which is disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank lizrogatz
SundanceChris, Director of Sales at Sundance Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2009

Let me be the first to apologize for the disappointing accommodations during your recent stay with us. At Sundance, we pride ourselves on having the most unique, comfortable and luxurious mountain accommodations in Utah. As mentioned in your review, this home did not meet our high expectations and has been removed from our rental pool. We hope that you will visit us again and I am certain your next stay will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed September 9, 2008

My partner and I had an amazing weekend at Sundance resort. The spa staff was awesome and our treatments were divine. We had dinner and brunch at the Foundry Grill and loved the food and were so happy with our servers. The setting is so beautiful and it was great to walk out on the deck and look out at the mountain. Even though the resort was busy when we were there, we always got excellent service. We loved it!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SundanceChris, Director of Sales at Sundance Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2008

All of us at Sundance are thrilled that you had a wonderful time with us. It sounds like you truly experienced the very best Sundance has to offer. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 7, 2008

The first night, I couldn't believe it when the people staying in the room above us came home. We could hear everything -- every footstep, every door opening or closing, every dresser drawer sliding in or out . . . we could hear their voices too. It was impossible to sleep until they went to sleep, and impossible to stay sleeping once they woke up.

The front desk moved us to a room that was quiet--the rest of the building was unoccupied--but extremely hot. We had to put a fan in the window and keep it on constantly, which of course completely drowned out the gurgle of the stream outside the window (plus, the fan knob was broken, so it was permanently on high). When I told the front desk about the heat, the response was, Yeah, a lot of the rooms get really hot in the summer. ?! Sure, but not usually when you're paying $300+ a night.

The grounds are very pretty, but somewhat claustrophobic after the first day -- not many green spaces to move around/hang out in. There's a nice lawn area by the Institute buildings . . . with a sign to keep off the grass.

The staff was almost uniformly delightful (only one surly waiter hanging around the hostess stand at the Foundry). Definitely the resort's strong suit. (There was a bee in our first room when we arrived, and the bellperson caught it by a wing and released it outside. Nice!) The art shack was fun, but way overpriced -- and the classes (the beading class, in any case) do not last two hours, as advertised. More like an hour. Cost: $90 plus tip.

I would not recommend it. It wasn't awful, but not great, either. Probably would be better if you were there mainly to mountain bike or mainly to ski. But just to chill and do a little bit of this and that . . . not so great.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank tumblingwater
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We had a horrible time at Sundance. Billing mistakes on our bill, in-laws bills. Spa & Restaurant Reservations made for incorrect days, times, etc. The main problem is that the entire resort does not have air conditioning. The rooms were well over 90 degrees during the day. (outside 106-110 each day!) We were in Mountain Suite up top the first night, and it was still over 80 degrees in the room at 930p and we asked to be moved. (after 3 calls, a few guys that didn’t speak English coming to our room to bring fans) We moved to another suite on the river. The river was running outside our doors & windows, which cooled it off a little, but there were no screens in the doors/windows and we awoke covered in bug bites. My infant barley slept the whole trip b/c he was so hot and out of sorts. The spa did not have AC and I had issues w/my reservation and services rendered. The Foundry Grill did not have AC – on a morning that was 60 degrees, it was still close to 80 in the Foundry (heat on?!) Who knows! We found the staff to be unsympathetic to our issues. I had to call again after we returned home about a billing issue – no apologizes. I also find it absurd to pay $14.50/night for an “environmental impact fee”. A $10/night crib charge, I can at least understand – just wish the baby would have actually been able to sleep. At one point the front desk told me to take him outside b/c it was cooler. HA! Then we would ruin everyone else’s stay – crying baby, outside of rooms w/open windows…yea right!

All in all, I wished time and time again that we had chosen to stay at a less than average Hampton Inn. At Sundance we felt like we were camping, or “roughing it” in the wilderness – and sweating through everything!

I’m assuming the resort is better in the winter. I would not recommend it to ANYONE during the summer months, if ever.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Raszsch

Thank you for taking the time to explain your concerns regarding your recent stay at Sundance.

I understand how frustrating it must have been dealing with the summer heat during your vacation.

On behalf of all the employees at Sundance, I would like to take this opportunity to offer you our immediate and sincere apology for not receiving our typical high level of service that guests have come to expect from Sundance.

We recognize that travelers want dependable and comfortable accommodations and we realize that we did not achieve that standard for your stay. We thank you for your patience and understanding. This summer has been an unusually hot one!

Sundance Resort has a long standing history of Green policies, dating back to the properties original purchase in 1969. Today, Sundance continues to update and implement new techniques and technologies, staying at the forefront of environmental stewardship. It is for this reason that our rooms do not have central air conditioning. We also fund a variety of local environmental initiatives with our Environmental Impact Fee. The fee that we collect from our guests goes toward the purchase of wind power, environmentally friendly cleaning products, green purchasing and mountain restoration projects.

I hope that on balance, your visit to Sundance was enjoyable. From all of us, I extend our appreciation for your patronage and hope to have another opportunity to show your family all that Sundance has to offer.

Reviewed July 20, 2008

We discovered Sundance many years ago and continue to stay there whenever we can get away. This is the one place, in both our travels together and apart, we both enjoy the most. If you want peace and beauty and top service, complete relaxation..........don't waste another minute and run to make an advance reservation. I recommend a mountain suite by one of the numerous rushing streams. You hear nothing but nature, no cars, no music (unless you are playing it). The Tree Room is one of the best restaurants in the country!! The Owl Bar is always fun.
It is such a wonderful place in any season. There is not enough room to write about the serene beauty of the landscape there. Robert Redford did us all a favor, opening this resort and remaining loyal to nature and preserving the beauty of the canyon. I miss Sundance everyday I am not there..................everyday!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sundance
Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley
Homestead Resort
Homestead Resort
#2 of 2 in Midway
Waldorf Astoria Park City

Been to Sundance Resort? Share your experiences!