We had a rough go of it here. We just got back from Sundance the weekend before New Years and it seemed like a very disorganized effort. For >$500 a night a place has to provide a certain service and that didn't happen. Here's a rundown of the trip good, bad and annoying:
- Thursday email was sent to concierge for 90 minute couples massage. By Friday evening departure no word from concierge and I then called, left message and heard back. Massage booked for Sunday. Slightly annoying but understandable considering its busy season.
- Friday night arrival. Went to Foundry Grill for dinner at 8:30, did not place dinner order for 20 minutes. Our waitress was great, but she was running around a lot of table and kept coming by to apologize. But 20 minutes is 20 minutes. Again, slightly annoying but it happens....
- Friday night at 1am our neighbors upstairs check in. The walls are super thin and we heard everything, voices, toilets, walking and this went on until 2am until I told them we couldn't sleep. For $500 a night I don't want to hear toilets flush and conversations. If you book here, get an upstairs room (it's imperative).
- Saturday morning after breakfast we ask for a room change. Super nice guy at the front desk doesn't bat an eye and moves our room. This is awesome. But, he puts us in another downstairs room (more to come). We are told an upstairs room is an upgrade and we could purchase one for a discounted rate. Again, for $500 night, I shouldn't have to pay extra for a quiet room!
- We spent an hour moving our room and not skiing. The guy at the front desk comps us our dinner at the Tree Room (very classy) which was nice considering the move cut into our ski time by about an hour. He also gives us a room with a hot tub... which we were really stoked about.
- We leave the mountain at 4 to get to our new hot tub room. We get our bathing suits on pull the cover back and bummer... it's broken. The maintenance guys come and say it will be fixed in 2.5 hours, just in time for our 6:30 dinner reservation. Total bust on the post ski hot tub. Again, maintenance and front desk folks are super nice. But for $500 a night... hot tubs should work.
- Saturday night dinner at Tree Room - Epic dinner. Great service and cool atmosphere. Not a single complaint.
- Saturday Night - Get back from dinner around 9pm and there's a dog barking like crazy up stairs. This is not a big deal, dogs are awesome and we have one. What was alarming was how clear the bark was. Sure enough, upstairs neighbors come home around 11pm and you can here toilets, footsteps etc. They get up a few more times in the night and we get another poor nights rest. Our new quiet room was in fact almost just as loud.
- Sunday morning brunch - Head down for our pre paid brunch (that the reservations agent and the concierge both discussed with me) and were told it was a 2 hour wait without a reservation. I told her I was told to make dinner reservations (specifically and multiple times) but never heard a mention of Sunday brunch reservations in all the conversations I had prior to coming. The hostess said this had already happened a bunch this morning and improvised by giving us a table in the front waiting area to eat. Very cool or her and our server was lovely. But, this was starting to get ridiculous.
- We finish skiing on Sunday afternoon and head over to get our pre flight 90 minutes massages (that I had emailed about and had 2 phone calls about with the concierge). We settle into the couples room and start getting great massages and then they are done... quickly... I said "that was a fast 90 minutes". Then I look at the clock and it had only been 60 minutes. Considering everything from the previous two days we went from post massage happiness to "are you kidding me" annoyed. The masseuses were so nice and apologetic though (and good masseuses). But, when I went to the front desk and told her what happened she gave me an apathetic response of "that's too bad when you think it will be 90 minutes and it's only 60." Not exactly the response you are looking for.
So, all in all we didn't get anywhere close to the value we paid for. I'm giving 2/5 solely based on how nice some of the junior staff was. But this was a terrible trip and I wish I had just stayed in a regular hotel and saved the money. Also, I filled out a survey right after we left and sent it to "the management". I still haven't heard back. It would've been nice to hear from someone besides the young folks at the front desk to get an apology. Again for $500 a night, a certain level of service is necessary.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Founded by Robert Redford in 1969, Sundance Mountain Resort is a year-round luxury mountain resort dedication to conservation, the arts, and community. We offer lodging accommodations ranging from a standard room to a four-bedroom home. We also have award-winning restaurants, shopping outlets, conference and catering services, and much more. Our Resort offers the following year-round activities: • Fly fishing • Art classes • Spa treatments • And more. We also offer the following seasonal activities: • Downhill skiing and snowboarding • Cross country skiing • Hiking and mountain biking • Horseback riding • Summer Theatre and Bluebird Cafe Concert Series • And more. "Sundance is an arts community, a recreational community, a community of people who appreciate the beauty of nature and feel the responsibility to preserve it... As you'll see, Sundance has many shapes, many moods, and many possibilities. Somewhere in our community awaits an experience which belongs to you and we are committed to helping you find it." -Robert Redford ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sundance Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sundance Hotel Sundance
- Sundance Resort Utah