“Poor value”
Review of Sundance Resort

Sundance Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sundance
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We had a rough go of it here. We just got back from Sundance the weekend before New Years and it seemed like a very disorganized effort. For >$500 a night a place has to provide a certain service and that didn't happen. Here's a rundown of the trip good, bad and annoying:
- Thursday email was sent to concierge for 90 minute couples massage. By Friday evening departure no word from concierge and I then called, left message and heard back. Massage booked for Sunday. Slightly annoying but understandable considering its busy season.
- Friday night arrival. Went to Foundry Grill for dinner at 8:30, did not place dinner order for 20 minutes. Our waitress was great, but she was running around a lot of table and kept coming by to apologize. But 20 minutes is 20 minutes. Again, slightly annoying but it happens....
- Friday night at 1am our neighbors upstairs check in. The walls are super thin and we heard everything, voices, toilets, walking and this went on until 2am until I told them we couldn't sleep. For $500 a night I don't want to hear toilets flush and conversations. If you book here, get an upstairs room (it's imperative).
- Saturday morning after breakfast we ask for a room change. Super nice guy at the front desk doesn't bat an eye and moves our room. This is awesome. But, he puts us in another downstairs room (more to come). We are told an upstairs room is an upgrade and we could purchase one for a discounted rate. Again, for $500 night, I shouldn't have to pay extra for a quiet room!
- We spent an hour moving our room and not skiing. The guy at the front desk comps us our dinner at the Tree Room (very classy) which was nice considering the move cut into our ski time by about an hour. He also gives us a room with a hot tub... which we were really stoked about.
- We leave the mountain at 4 to get to our new hot tub room. We get our bathing suits on pull the cover back and bummer... it's broken. The maintenance guys come and say it will be fixed in 2.5 hours, just in time for our 6:30 dinner reservation. Total bust on the post ski hot tub. Again, maintenance and front desk folks are super nice. But for $500 a night... hot tubs should work.
- Saturday night dinner at Tree Room - Epic dinner. Great service and cool atmosphere. Not a single complaint.
- Saturday Night - Get back from dinner around 9pm and there's a dog barking like crazy up stairs. This is not a big deal, dogs are awesome and we have one. What was alarming was how clear the bark was. Sure enough, upstairs neighbors come home around 11pm and you can here toilets, footsteps etc. They get up a few more times in the night and we get another poor nights rest. Our new quiet room was in fact almost just as loud.
- Sunday morning brunch - Head down for our pre paid brunch (that the reservations agent and the concierge both discussed with me) and were told it was a 2 hour wait without a reservation. I told her I was told to make dinner reservations (specifically and multiple times) but never heard a mention of Sunday brunch reservations in all the conversations I had prior to coming. The hostess said this had already happened a bunch this morning and improvised by giving us a table in the front waiting area to eat. Very cool or her and our server was lovely. But, this was starting to get ridiculous.
- We finish skiing on Sunday afternoon and head over to get our pre flight 90 minutes massages (that I had emailed about and had 2 phone calls about with the concierge). We settle into the couples room and start getting great massages and then they are done... quickly... I said "that was a fast 90 minutes". Then I look at the clock and it had only been 60 minutes. Considering everything from the previous two days we went from post massage happiness to "are you kidding me" annoyed. The masseuses were so nice and apologetic though (and good masseuses). But, when I went to the front desk and told her what happened she gave me an apathetic response of "that's too bad when you think it will be 90 minutes and it's only 60." Not exactly the response you are looking for.

So, all in all we didn't get anywhere close to the value we paid for. I'm giving 2/5 solely based on how nice some of the junior staff was. But this was a terrible trip and I wish I had just stayed in a regular hotel and saved the money. Also, I filled out a survey right after we left and sent it to "the management". I still haven't heard back. It would've been nice to hear from someone besides the young folks at the front desk to get an apology. Again for $500 a night, a certain level of service is necessary.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Matt L
Brett C, Client Representative at Sundance Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Hi Matt,

First off I want to apologize for your negative experiences at Sundance Resort. Our primary goal is to ensure that our guests have a fantastic and hassle-free experience, and it's clear that we didn't fulfill that goal with your stay.

Thank you for the compliments on our staff members, they're great at rectifying issues - but there definitely shouldn't have been such a need.

We're always seeking to improve our guest experience and our resort, so we appreciate your feedback and we'll be utilizing it to improve where we need to.

I hope you give us the opportunity to earn back your business in the future!

There are newer reviews for Sundance Resort

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Booked as a last minute holiday alternative… The reservations staff was able to arrange accommodations for my family (4 adults and 9 children) which was not an easy task. They were both pleasant and competent. We booked four rooms in the Mandan Area (Units 16B, 17A, 17B, and 20A). All were impeccably decorated and well appointed in rustic elegance. Every need was met… my only complaint was that the water heater in unit 17A/B proved to be too small to accommodate out large family. As a result we had to split out shower schedule…. Not to big a hassle. The housekeeping staff was outstanding (they even did the dishes…).
Accommodations: 4+

We used All Mountain Transportation out of Park City for our transportation needs. They were prompt and helpful. We had 2 Suburbans that picked us up at the airport and transported us in luxury to our resort in <1hr. They also provided us with several day trips to Park City and were prompt and pleasant. The bell staff at the resort transported us (4 adults and 9 children) on a daily basis around the resort in their Acura SUVs and were exceedingly friendly and helpful. They were prompt.
Transportation: 4+

We skied for 4 days. There was a light snow the night before we came and the rest of the days we depended on the base snow for our fun. The kids attended ski school for 1/2 a day and the instructors were fantastic. Donna the director made sure that each one of the nine children was cared for in a special way. They enjoyed the talents of their teachers Bryan, Janet, Austin and Fuzz. Awesome!
The adults were catered to by 2 other instructors who felt more like family. Owen (Sir) and Jason were more like family by the end of the trip. Their skill and personality put all of us at ease as they were able to cater to our varying skill levels from 1st time on skis to Intermediate+. Trusted my family with them… enough said. Awesome +++++ Ask for them
Ski Instruction: 5+ (Deserve a 10)

The Mountain was visually stunning and while a small resort was plenty of mountain for us. The back mountain offered solitude and and as many challenges as we wanted. The solitude during the normally busy holiday season was refreshing, No lift lines. Only a few snowboarders. I thought I was in heaven
The Mountain 5+

We ate meals at The Foundary (on site restaurant) and found the menu to be good but a little pricey. The wine list was good. The highlight was the GreyHound made with freshly squeeze Juice. We ate in the Library Room at the Tree House Restaurant (fine dining onsite). It was exceptional but pricey. Our best meal of the trip was at Zoom restaurant in Park City (associated with Sundance). It was exceptional and well priced. It got crowded late so eat early.
The Food: 4+

The staff made our trip. They all bent over backwards to make our stay exceptional. From Tracy in the Ski Shop to Julie our Concierge. We will be back. We normally vacation in the heat being that we are Southerners…. This vacation may bring us back to skiing a couple of times a year as opposed to heading to the islands….simple because of this resorts rustic opulence and its appreciation for kindness and knowing how far going the extra mile can go…
The Staff: 5+

Many thanks for a great holiday! See you again soon...

Room Tip: Book through Sundance itself
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BamaHeartDoc
Reviewed November 24, 2013

If you are in the area you should stay at Sundance Resort at least one in your life. It is an amazing mountain setting and some of the views are breathtaking. The cabins are all so different and very cozy. We have stayed here a few times now and each cabin has it's own uniqueness. There is wonderful hiking to the falls that is a must!!! I have not done the biking or taken the chair lift up the hill, but that too looks like a lot of fun. The food I find a little expensive, but hey...you're on vacation right!

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms in the River Run area, they are more centrally located.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Staying at the Sundance Resort may have been the best resort experience I have ever had. The grounds and cabins are exquisite, the mountains lovely and the hiking fabulous. It would be difficult to enthuse enough about Sundance. The cabin I stayed in was so exquisitely designed and poshly appointed, I sketched and photographed it. Staying here is living large, and you will never ever forget it. The restaurants and shops are very nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank karmaswimswami
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a Friday night and it was one of the best, if not the best, lodging experience I have ever had. The Reservations Coordinator was able to set us up with a room with a wood burning fireplace and a hot tub. It was a gorgeous room and felt very remote like we were somewhere in a log cabin deep into the woods. The Owl Bar was a fun place to have a light dinner and drinks while listening to an awesome band play. The next morning we had breakfast at the Foundry Grill, which was the best breakfast I have had, hands down. Our server, Erin, was super helpful and gave us a hiking trail map and recommended us the Stuart Falls trail, which was also beautiful. The Front Desk staff and concierge woman were also very helpful and friendly and extremely accommodating. I am going to share this experience with my resort staff here in Park City! I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a weekend getaway or somewhere to escape the busy life for a few days.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WAPC
Reviewed November 1, 2013

While this wasn't what we were quite expecting, we still liked it. The grounds are focused on the ski lift and utilizing the mountain for either hiking or biking in the summer/fall and skiing in the winter. It is not a large mountain but fun for a 4 mile hike or skiers who want a smaller mountain.There is no pool or hot tub. The two restaurants are very good for dinner as is the Owl Bar for drinks. Our initial room was not what we were expecting, dark and small versus the light and spacious one pictured on the internet. When we complained to the desk via a phone call, we were offered another dark room. Then my husband walked down to the desk and conferred with reservations and the front desk simultaneously. At that point, we were offered a very good room that made our stay worthwhile. During our five day stay, a light went out, the refrigerator stopped working and the heat wouldn't go on in the bathroom. All these things were fixed quickly once we called in the problems.

Room Tip: When making plans to stay here, call reservations to ensure that you are getting the type of room yo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Beautiful location, hardly can get any better, 2 restaurants, deli, coffee shop, ski lift, etc.
Room we stayed in was small "B", I believe "A" a better choice.
Kitchen is tiny, no microwawe , closet is ok, bathroom is not great, but functional.
Fire place. HVAC system is old, AC is a portable unit only.
I think that unit is good for a short stay only.
Front Desk Staff is friendly and helpful.
Room is reasonably clean
Deck is somewhat old and in need of repair.

Room Tip: Get an A type room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sundance
Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley
#13 of 60 in Park City
Hyatt Centric Park City
Hyatt Centric Park City
#6 of 60 in Park City

Been to Sundance Resort? Share your experiences!