“Rustic & Magical - Truly one of a kind”
Review of Sundance Resort

Sundance Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sundance
MI
“Rustic & Magical - Truly one of a kind”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in June for a conference.

Let me first be clear that I am not a camper and I hate rustic. But this was the closest thing to camping that I’ll ever be happy with.

The whole resort is something to behold. It is set up to resemble a mining camp. I was a bit put off when I went to check in and found that I had to wait for a bellman to come and DRIVE me up to my room.

But my standard room had more of a feel of a cabin than a hotel room. This is one of those times when “standard” is certainly not std.. The room felt very rustic and reminded me a bit of summer camp as a kid – but with the most comfortable HUGE, tall bed, separate bath & private walk-out deck. The room was well stocked with Starbucks coffee for the in-room coffee maker as well as a delicious cocoa and tea. I am a sucker when it comes to a hotel with a spa robe and Sundance did not disappoint!

Sundance is big into recycling (which I applaud) and make it easy for you to do so while visiting. They even give you a cloth bag with their logo to use for grocery shopping when you go home – works great for a souvenir too!

I don’t think that my words will do any better than the photos that I took and have attached.

A few things to note:
• No air conditioning – but unnecessary as it is in the mountain and you are surrounded by trees. Sleeping with the windows open was heavenly and to wake to the sound of birds was enchanting.
• No room service – when I checked in, they did not have the key to my room (they are old fashioned keys and had to be cut) so I had to wait until they dropped it off. I went to call room service, but they didn’t have a menu. I did call one of the resteraunts who were very quick to take my order…for something “chicken”. Unfortunately it was a $35 chicken dinner, but fortunately it was a absolutely fantastic meal!
• The resort was hard to find – but this may be due to the construction that was going on around them. I must’ve driven around for 30 minutes before realizing that there is a 80E and an 80W – separate streets!
• There are a lot of stairs. A flight of stairs to go down to the room as well as two steps inside the room (standard room). I’m not sure who would stay here that wasn’t physically fit enough to take the stairs – but it was a bit disconcerting finding my way to the bathroom, stumbling up the stairs in the night.
• If there is a visitor next door you may hear them. It didn’t bother me much – I just turned up the tv, but the walls did seem a bit thin.

I hate exercise, but the walking/hiking, etc. just doesn’t feel like a workout because of the breathtaking views. I did take advantage of the spa, which I wasn't impressed with.

When I first arrived, I wasn’t sure what to think. When it was time to go, I couldn’t wait to come back, but this time with my family.

Room Tip: Hint – buy water and snacks before you get to the resort. Once you get to the resort, you won'...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Julana19
SundanceResortTeam, Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
We look to offer simplified elegance with our amenity rich accommodations, and let our stunning natural surroundings complete the magical experience that we hope all guests will enjoy. We do have a broad variety of accommodations from cozy rooms nestled in the mountain side to Mountain homes that may feature multiple decks, hot tubs, or floor to ceiling windows. Our website outlines them all in more detail and the amenities that are available with each choice. Thank you for sharing all the highlights of your stay, as well as those areas that may need more of our attention. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Even in the off season, this resort is fantastic! The cabin we were lucky to get was a stand alone and was very comfortable. The bed is a work of art and the patio looks down into a forest with a cute little river. Oh, the sound of the pine trees with wind passing through them at night is soooo romantic. The service was excellent as was the cute little Owl bar. The night we tried it, they had a great blue grass band called "Burnin' time"

Room Tip: Ask for the stand alone cabin!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chris o
, Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Although Sundance Resort is well known for its truly fabulous skiing, there is no real off season here. Summer brings with it an array of activities and adventure in addition to the breathtaking views of the green mountains. We're delighted that the natural surroundings of your accommodations were appreciated and that you enjoyed the live music at the The Sundance Owl Bar. We hope you will be back again soon for another magical romantic stay!
Edinburgh
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Sundance is a magical place.

The food is excellent. The bar is great. We had conferences there, with some skiing in between.
Skiing is very good - it's a small resort, of course, but great for a day (I'm a red/black downhill skier, usually in Austria or Italy). The snow was great when I was there.

Yes, I have been back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
We're elated your conference brought you to us and that you had the opportunity to enjoy skiing the slopes at Sundance Resort. Without a doubt, we would be thrilled to welcome you back again and hope it's soon. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
Paris, France
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Our 3 night stay at the end of May at the Sundance Resort was wonderful! We had two rooms. One was a mountain loft- unit 29A which has an awesome view, comfy furniture, cute décor, and a fancy, well stocked, full-size kitchen with all the necessary utensils, pots/pants, salt/paper, paper towels, dish soap, sponge, and dish washer liquid. Only 3 people stayed in this room but 5 of us ate and hung out there with plenty of space. Our second room was a standard unit, 22B which had an amazingly comfortable, huge bed, big flat screen tv, and private patio. The bathroom was basic but impeccably clean, and the room was small but we still had plenty of space for our one suitcase. The staff at the hotel are so incredibly friendly and accommodating! When we checked in, the gentleman who escorted us to our rooms brought firewood and started a fire! Our rooms were in the Mandan area and they told us about their shuttle service but we never needed it. It took less than 5mins to walk from our rooms to the base, and it’s a lovely walk. We had brunch at the Foundry Grill on Sunday afternoon which was a delight- good food and good service. We had one dinner at the Tree Room which was so delicious! The deli had good smoothies but not much in terms of food, we drove the 10mins down to Harmons in Provo for groceries.

Three of us took the silversmithing- jewelry class with Brittnay Golden who is an awesome lady and artist! We were the only 3 signed up for the class, and had a great time. None of us are particularly artistic but our jewelry came out so pretty, like something from the Sundance catalogue! It was a full 2hrs and we learned a lot from Brittnay and enjoyed getting to know her. Highly recommend this workshop!

Free wifi in our rooms was appreciated. Only disappointment with the resort is that the lift ride costs $11 (Even for guests! We hoped it would be comp’d for guests) and it doesn’t even open until 10am. We wanted to do hiking/trail running but the only trail that leaves from the base of the resort is the Stewart Falls trail, which is lovely but boring after doing it 3 days in a row. We asked about other trails but we were told that they all start from the top of the lift. We didn’t want to wait until 10am to start hiking, also we were put off by the price. We would go absolutely go back to this resort (but probably hike the Wasatch forest trails which are just two miles up the road from the resort).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Olistina
, Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
It was so much fun for us to read about your experience at Sundance Resort. We're very glad that everyone's accommodations were comfortable and roomy. The jewelry making workshop you attended is one of many creative classes you can take part in while staying with us. Unleashing your creative side and creating lasting memories in addition to a souvenir made by yourself is the goal of our talented instructors. Knowing everyone enjoyed making your own unique piece of jewelry makes us very happy. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back again on your next trip. Thank you for your review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

The room we stayed in was very nice and well appointed.

Service is excellent. Very helpful and friendly.

The grounds are nice and overall very relaxing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
SundanceResortTeam, Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Sundance Resort is nestled at the base of Mount Timpanogos and situated on 6,000 acres of spectacular wilderness making it an ideal location for a relaxing retreat. We are delighted you had a wonderful stay and admired your accommodations. Our staff is committed to ensuring that our guests' time is memorable and we thank you for your kind acknowledgement of the service you received at the resort. We hope that you can come back and visit us again soon.
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed June 5, 2012

All in all Sundance Resort was great! It was not what I expected; a resort in the middle of lots of trees with hardly anything around it. You had to get a bellman to take you around the resort unless you wanted to walk which was nice, too. Mike was a very tentative bellman who always arrived on time and gave us great advice as to what activities we should do. The restaurants had terrific food, however, their hours are a bit odd especially for Sunday breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Happel
It's such a treat to hear from our guests and learn that they had a great stay at Sundance Resort! Your kind acknowledgement of our bellman’s efforts will be passed along and is truly appreciated, as all of our staff have a special place in their hearts for our guests and are always happy to help. We are glad you enjoyed dining with us and were sorry to hear that the hours may not have been optimal for you. The Foundry Grill is open for Sunday brunch from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm then re-opens for dinner again at 5:00 pm. The next time you are looking for a peaceful getaway in Utah, we hope that you will allow us to welcome you back again to Sundance Resort.
Provo, Utah
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have worked with Sundance on several occasions, and they are always wonderful. I hosted an event and booked 25 rooms with them. They took care of each of my guests like they were the top priority (including a bellman giving an injured skier a ride to the hospital at 10 pm). Every person from the ski rental shop to the house keeping staff went out of their way to make our stay top notch.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
SundanceResortTeam, Manager at Sundance Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
At Sundance Resort our top priority is our guests. It is always our pleasure to do whatever we can to help our guests to ensure their best possible stay experience. Thank you so very much for your kind review. We hope to be able to work with you again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sundance
Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley
Hotel Park City, Autograph Collection
Hyatt Centric Park City
Hyatt Centric Park City
#4 of 60 in Park City

Been to Sundance Resort? Share your experiences!