“Bought Groupon discount, glad I didn't pay full price”

Lanikai Grill Hawaiian BBQ
Ranked #55 of 107 Restaurants in South Jordan
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Visited Lanikai Grill in South Jordan on a Saturday with spouse because we were in the vicinitiy. Glad we didn't drive much out of our way, because the floor was sticky, from the door to the counter to order, a medium drink is the smallest medium I've ever seen. It's the size of what fast foods give you for a free water cup, so we paid to "upgrade" to a large, usually a small or medium anywhere else. My husband said the BBQ chicken bowl was all right. I ordered the BBQ mix with shredded pork, beef, and chicken. The shredded pork was tasteless, beef was thin and overcooked, and the chicken was OK, although it had the skin still on it. The bottle on the table that looked like it was extra BBQ sauce turned out to be the consistency and color of water, so it didn't add a thing to the tasteless pork. I had to use a "wet one" to clean the table, because it had patches of stickiness on the table. I noticed another woman doing the same thing. We had ordered the appetizer, frybread with honey/powdered sugar, which was quite good, but it didn't come out in a timely manner, as an appetizer. It came out maybe 5 minutes before the meals, which was very slow. Glad I had purchased a 50% discount, because I wouldn't pay full price for this meal, which was worth about $25.00. Don't pay it. Not worth the drive.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

Living in South Jordan, we have come to Lanikai quite a bit since they opened a few years ago. I would have to say the last 4 time’s in, have been an utter disappointment. We continued to come in because we love the food, but after taking out of town guest there the last time, we will probably NEVER eat here again, not even take out. We have wondered if the place has been sold or is under new management for the current employee’s they have working there should ALL be fired. Before we were always greeted with a friendly smile and hello, but the currently employee’s are lacking in any kind of manners entirely. We have never been treated so poorly at any restaurant and it did not use to be that way. To top off the rude service of the ladies, or I should say vulgar, irresponsible, disrespectful teens, the cleanliness of the place has dropped tremendously. There were plenty of tables to sit at, but none had been cleaned off and when our guest asked for something to clean the table with, the employee snapped at her that she’ll “get it when she’s not busy”. This was even more outwardly rude, for the other 3 females were just sitting at a front table, playing cards and talking on cell phones. This saying, the employee’s that were there, had their hair down, some wore sandals, and tank tops. None of them were friendly and smiled, and all were using profanity and cursing at each other. They looked as if they brought their break room to the front for all eyes to see and none of them cared for those around them. Clearly someone was not doing their job by supervising the overall appearance of the dining area. The garbage cans were both full, the drink fountain was all sticky and when we went to get our soda, the levers would stick and soda would not stop coming out. A bottom cupboard was open by the soda fountain, and it was just as dirty under there as every other top counter in the place. I can’t believe a place with such good food has dropped with service so badly. I debated on reporting them to the Health Department. I no longer recommend this place to anyone and felt sickened by taking our guest there.

3  Thank DCutah
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I've been here three times now - each time thinking it would get better somehow. Not so much...my last (and may I say FINAL) visit occurred just the other day. No one at the counter to take my order for a good 5-8 minutes. As I was about to walk out, the guy came out from the back and TOTALLY IGNORED ME...so I was outta there for good. My previous two visits really weren't that much different...I wouldn't recommend this place for anyone.

3  Thank Aerojeen