“Tsunami is a good choice”

Tsunami Restaurant & Sushi Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Tsunami Restaurant & Sushi Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 98 Restaurants in South Jordan
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 10600 South
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I dined at Tsunami's Riverpark location in South Jordan with my wife on Friday night, June 8. Overall the experience was good and the food was good.

My wife made a reservation for 6:30pm. We arrived a few minutes prior to our reserved time and found the restaurant had many empty tables. The hostess led us to one of the many empty tables whereupon my wife inquired if we could be seated in a booth instead. Although there appeared to be several vacant booths, we were told that there were none. Apparently, when making a reservation, we needed to include a request for a booth if one was desired.

Tsunami is a sushi restaurant, but also has a fairly extensive menu of other options for those -- like me -- who don't particularly like sushi. My wife ordered three different sushis: TNT (a spicy tuna roll loaded with jalapenos and wasabi), Aloha (another spicy tuna roll which also includes avocado and mango), and the Sugar House ( a salmon sushi ). My wife is trying to convert me to the sushi fold, so I shared a couple of her sushi, and found both to be very good. One of them even featured a tempura shrimp in the middle of the roll!

For my dinner, I ordered a teriyaki chicken. I thought the flavoring of the chicken was perfect, but it was slightly overcooked, although not too dry to be unacceptable. My meal was accompanied by an ample helping of rice and some tempura vegetables -- which were very delicious!

I also want to mention that waters were never less than half full. The restaurant seemed to have an employee on staff whose sole job it was to fill waters. Very nice!

As for the atmosphere, Tsunami is a pretty casual place. We expected it to be a little more upscale. The staff are dressed smartly, but most of the customers here on the evening we visited were wearing blue jeans -- or even shorts. It's not a place for a romantic evening, but, if you're looking for a good meal, Tsunami is a good choice.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

First, our waitress was very friendly, professional and attentive. I do not like Sushi and rarely eat seafood, yet she gently guided me through the menu to find a land-based entree.

My ribs were tasty, though the overall restaurant atmosphere was a bit more down-scale/casual than I had hoped.

Reviewed May 21, 2011

We have been here a hundred times since this location opened - not sure where the person who left a bad review actually was, but I cannot believe it was here. The valley is flooded with sushi joints, so you want to make sure you're getting great sushi for the price point, right? You cannot miss with Tsunami.

The food, ambience, and service are top notch - and not just at this location, but all three. We began our love affair with Tsunami at their Sugarhouse shop, so when this one opened we couldn't have been happier to have it closer to home.

The sushi - rolls to make sure you try: Sunshine, Cococabana, Don Juan, and Jenny rolls are my personal highlights on their raw menu. We've never had a bad tasting, or not-so-fresh roll, like we've experienced nearly everywhere else. I will admit that at times they don't roll tightly, but come on...is that what you're really concerned with?

Another strong recommendation is their tempura. We have joked that they add an illegal substance to it - it's that good. Although we've never experienced any other non-sushi food here, we have had many friends who are not sushi eaters, and have raved about their cooked offerings as well.

The only warning we can muster is this: if you're in the mood for a mixed drink, don't order one here. Although they offer a full bar, their bartenders don't seem to know how to conjure up anything other than a glass of beer or wine. No bueno on that front.

Just writing this review has made me crave what only Tsunami can give me...fresh and tasty sushi, a great environment, and consistently friendly and responsive service (from hosting staff to servers to bussers to managers).

And if all that's not enough, here's another reason to love Tsunami - they accept reservations for any size party! This concept is lost on SO many other Utah restaurants. If you're going here on a weekend, reservations are highly recommended.

2  Thank Aerojeen
Reviewed April 9, 2010

My husband and I went there recently for our fourth time. We really enjoy sushi and loved that this place was so close. This last time was so awful. We were greeted by a host to acted as if we offended him just by walking in. He also slammed our glasses down on the table and said nothing to us the whole time. We should have left at that point, but decided to just stay. Our sushi fell apart no matter how you tried to eat it. My rolls were soaking in a nice pool of oil and smelled like a deep fried fast food fish nasty mess. There was no fish even in it. It was a veggie roll. My husband said his fish eggs did not taste right at all. Within minutes of eating some of our rolls, our stomachs started to hurt and we barely made it home in time for flaming poos and trying not to throw up . We are still dealing with the aftermath. We don't suggest paying 50 dollars for food poisoning. Will never be going there again and would not recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed March 6, 2009

We went here for the first time upon recommendations of friends and we weren't disappointed! This restaurant is gorgeous and the food was so yummy and there was so much variety!!! We tried the jalapeno teriyaki wings and the tsunami shrimp...mmm, to die for and then we ordered the sunshine roll, dth, and the executive suite roll. The sunshine roll had a good spicy kick to it. We finished off with a coconut ice-cream & tempura banana dessert that is good enough for me to return just for that!