“Excellent food and wine selection”

The Aerie Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Snowbird
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2009

The first thing to know about this restaurant is that there are several sections. There is the bar, that offers some food, a sushi area, and the actual restaurant. We dined in the formal restaurant, which is what I will review here. Looking at some of the bad reviews, they may have been from a different section of The Aerie.

We made reservations at this restaurant, but it was Spring so only about 25% of the tables were filled. The atmosphere is pretty traditional with booths and folding screens. The tables were set traditionally and the music seemed to be new age in genre.

The wine list was impressive, with very unique selections like white Burgundy bottles and very old offerings. There were over 600 bottles on the list. The menu was short, but had something for everyone who expects fine-dining fare. There was one soup offered, several salads, four appetizers, four entrees (that ranged from lasagna to a fish special), and four beef/meat entrees.

My boyfriend and I each ordered a soup or a salad. The mixed greens salad was good, and the tomato basil soup was exquisite. We also spilt a scallop appetizer, which was expensive but excellent ($18). The scallops were perfectly cooked and served in a delicious sauce.

For entrees, my boyfriend got the ahi tuna special, which he thought was one of the best cuts of ahi he had been served at a restaurant...ever. I got the lasagna. It was non-traditional with blue cheese and a puff pastry (instead of noodles). Our waiter explained these differences, so I expected them. It was delicious.

The restaurant offered many after-dinner drinks, liquors, and desserts. By that time I was so stuffed that I declined.

The waiter was very professional and obviously took his job seriously. He offered to decant our wine and was knowledgeable about everything on the wine list and menu. He offered to answer questions many times and timed the meal well (we ordered everything at the start, and each course came in just the right amount of time). The only strange thing was that he actually seemed to ignore me as the meal progressed. He specifically asked for my boyfriend's order before mine. I'm not a super-traditional woman, so it didn't bother me. But I think it would bother some ladies. Also, as the night went on the waiter began to talk just to my boyfriend when asking how things were and explaining the specials. We both noticed it on our own, and I finally brought it up to my boyfriend at the end of the night. I can certainly overlook it because the food was so great and the waiter did do a great job. However, I think some people would have been really bothered by it.

This restaurant is very expensive, especially if you plan to go all out with drinks, wine, salads, etc. However, it really exemplifies what fine dining should be. For us, the food is the most important thing, and this place had great food.

Reviewed March 6, 2009

After reading the reviews, we decided to try the sushi bar at The Aerie. One of our travel companions was departing the next day and had a craving for sushi. We enjoyed our dinner.

I had an Alta Hippie roll which was a unique combo of enoki mushrooms (my favs), avocado, and cucumber. It was very good. I couldn't finish it but my friends happily gobbled up the last few pieces. A friend had the California roll and eel roll and liked them both.

Service was a bit slow but I am never in a hurry when I am on vacation so I didn't mind. Overall a good choice for dinner in the Cliff.

Reviewed August 18, 2008

I ate the buffet here while at a conference at Snowbird and the meal was so gross. The buffet consisted of a typical salad, rolls, potatoes, penne topped with beef stroganoff. Talk about a starch fest! I didn't try the beef stroganoff but the people near me did not give it good reviews. The huge chocolate cookies for dessert were raw on the inside. To top off wasting $20 on this unbalanced bland dinner, we got the impression that the server wanted us to leave when he tried to give us our check as soon as we began eating and told us that the tip was not included. Rude! The view is good though so if you don't mind spending $10 on a mixed drink then you might stop by...

Reviewed March 25, 2007

Great Food, Great Service, extensive wine selection, what a perfect evening at the Aerie Restaurant. If you are staying at Snowbird, make sure to have dinner at the Aerie.

A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed March 5, 2006

While their medieval Latin name may sound impressive, the food and service are far from it. This "secluded dwelling" is for the birds. By the end of the meal, at least we were amused to the point of laughter...I mean, we are at Snowbird, the BEST place to ski on earth! However, we did wish the food was better for the money. For a concrete example I offer this; the "Roasted Rosemary Half Chicken with Lemon au jus" turned out to be a brick hard, FRIED, drummette and thigh. Burnt potatoes, fatty uncuttable Lamb Chops... you get the picture. Certainly not fine dining and not worth the 35 dollars an entree. Leave the mountain to dine, stay for the powder!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member