“Fun summer hotel”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Snowbird
california
“Fun summer hotel”
Reviewed September 7, 2007

It's is Ocktoberfest at Snowbird so the all day activity pass is $36.00. We had a great time riding the alpine slide, mechanical bull, and ziprider. The only problem is that it is only open on the weekends and it quite crowded. We waited in line for the alpine slide for average of 45 minutes each ride.

The hotel itself is above average and the spa rooms on the 9th floor are very comfy. We had a nice view of the mountain and they always kept our room very clean. The spa itself is nice also and the rooftop pool is delightful. The yoga and pilates teachers were great!

The only thing we didn't like about our stay is the food options. We booked the Mountain Escape package offered through the hotel website and it says that it has daily breakfast. If you read through the find print it only includes one breakfast for the duration of your stay. I thought that was very tricky. We love mexican food and went to the mexican restaurant on the property named El Chanate. The first time that we went there we were first in for lunch and once they brought our food they never checked back to see what else we needed or to refill our drinks.

The second time we went for dinner and the restaurant was moderately busy. The waitress never once smiled or checked back on us. We split a large platter of carnitas and rice and beans and told her we were splitting the plate. She never brought me a plate to eat off of and I ate my dinner off of the tortilla wrapper. When she brought the check she picked up my husband's plate and I said please take my plate (referring to the tortilla wrapper) and she just picked it up like she was clueless to my absent plate reference. The food was very good but the service stinks!!!

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank greyboyCalifornia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
West Jordan, Utah
Reviewed September 7, 2007

The company that I work for is going to host an event at Snowbird.

So Snowbird held a raffle and I won a free night's stay.

So, this review is not going to contain much information about room rates and reservations.

But I would stay here even if I had to pay. The Cliff Lodge is located in one of the most beautiful places in the world; Little Cottonwood Canyon.

You could spend less money and stay down in the Salt Lake Valley or at the Iron Blosam or another property. But if you are going to spend the money to stay at the resort, this would be a good place.

There are a couple minor details that I did not like. The bathroom didn't have a fan. When we were there, there were a couple of wedding receptions that had noisy guests. And if you are from out of state, you will not like our goofy liquor laws. We stayed there during the summer, but if you are visiting in the winter with a parka, snowpants and a lot of other gear; there may not be a lot of closet space.

But these are minor problems, compared to the overall high quality of this resort. The public areas have oriental rugs and all kinds of fine art. The pool area had 3 hot tubs and I think there's another one in the spa area that I did not visit. Those hot tubs will come in handy to heal your shredded quads after a day on the slopes. The bathroom had a window with a curtain so you could see from the bathroom into the bedroom and vice versa. It was a little strange, but it made the room look bigger. The beds were very comfortable.

Of course, because our room was free, we had to pay for our own meals. I thought that the breakfast buffet was a good deal considering that you are paying for the view. But you can get the same food at the Steak Pit serves for about 1/3rd the price in downtown SLC or elsewhere in the valley.

During the summer, Snowbird has activities like an alpine slide, a zip line and a bouncy house. I thought these things were fun, but a bit expensive.

The next time I'm here during the summer, I'm taking the Peruvian Lift up to the top, not the Tram. The Tram lets you off above the tree line & it's a bit barren up there. From the top of the Peruvian lift, there appeared to be more trees and you could take the tunnel over to Mineral Basin for horseback & ATV riding.

At Snowbird, Oktoberfest with its live music & yummy beer has to start in August because in October, there may be enough snow to ski on.

You could not go mountain bike riding due to construction, but I just rode up to Alta & got a good workout.

So to sum up; if you're a skier or snowboarder; you know to Go Big Or Don't Go. Once, at least, spend some money (even if I didn't) and stay at the Cliff Lodge at least once.

• Liked — It's in the most beautiful place in the world.
  • Disliked — Not to be too Graphic, but sometimes, you need a bathroom fan
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Utahrd
California
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We got a great deal on a last minute "Mountain Escape" package that included tram and breakfast. We thought. When we arrived we received a coupon book good for a tram ride, various discounts at local shops, and a breakfast. One breakfast... for a three night stay. I didn't expect three tram rides, but as with any other hotel that advertises "with breakfast" I expected a breakfast to be included each day.

Similarly when we signed in I had to initial next to a box that said a $10 "resort fee" would be added to each night's stay. No where was that listed on the website, and there was no getting out of it. Pretty blatant false advertising.

Rooms were very nice, breakfast was nice (but costly), valet parking was great and the valet offered to not charge us when he heard us complaining about the "resort fee". The Aerie restaurant was closed but the lounge supposedly had a full menu... which was rather limited.

I'd go back, but the breakfast and resort fee issues really sour me.

• Liked — Location, room quality
  • Disliked — Hidden fees, breakfast ripoff
  • Stayed September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank KevinCA
New Hampshire USA
Reviewed September 2, 2007

My family had a great week at the Cliff Lodge. My wife, ten-year old, twelve year old, and I stayed in one room which was big enough to accomidate two queen beds and a rollaway. The mountain access was top notch and the ski-locker system on the ground floor worked well (keeping us from having to share our space with wet skis, boots and helments) We used the mini fridge for snacks and cocktails. Room decor was moderate and included a funny window in the shower.
Breakfast in the "Aire" was splendid but full price (about 25$each). We ate twice in a family-friendly Mexican restaurant in the hotel, and the rest of the evenings in other resort restaurants. Laundy machines were available on each floor and readliy available. The staff was efficient, friendly and helpful.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank potscrubber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snowbird
Alta's Rustler Lodge
Silver Fork Lodge
Silver Fork Lodge
#1 of 2 in Brighton
Alta Peruvian Lodge

Been to The Cliff Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!