“3 Smothered burritos with cheese & onions”
Review of La Frontera Cafe

La Frontera Cafe
Ranked #158 of 225 Restaurants in Sandy
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 25, 2013

One of my favorite Mexican restaurants. Seems like a sister restaurant to the La Puente and Las Glorias restaurants. If I go here, I always order the 3 smothered burritos with cheese and onions. Chile verde is always good.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I've been a raving fan but over the past couple of years, they've gone downhill fast. Food quality, service and cleanliness have descended to an unacceptable level. Food tonight was served cold. I kindly sent it back and it was returned with a hotter plate, but still food that was cold. We were starving so we just ate it and paid the $136 bill. Upon exiting, I approached the manager and shared my experience. Her comment floored me. "Next time ask your server to have the cook put it under a broiler to get it hot before being served". Really? I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone, any more. If the manager can't understand the need to serve their food hot, then what other basic principles of food service are they willing to overlook?

1  Thank Frank M
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was staying at a nearby hotel and opted to order something to take back to my room. I was a little troubled by the prices given the plentiful amount of inexpensive, decent Mexican food I can get here in the Los Angeles area. I ordered chicken enchiladas with beans and rice to go which came to over $11. No soup or salad provided (a bit of shredded lettuce w/tomato on my entree doesn't constitute a salad) and I did not receive chips and salsa with my to go order, so I thought my total was too much.

My food, however, was tasty with all white breast meat chicken stuffed into my enchiladas and lots of cheese on top in a tasty sauce. Given this first introduction to La Frontera, I'm not sure I'll return.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Nothing grand about the interior of the place, but good quality home cooked Mexican food. Very basic menu with no frills but what they do serve is excellent quality, great tasting and extremely budget friendly.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Title says it all. No, it's not gourmet. No, it's not authentic. But...it IS good. I've also had their combo plates and there is a lot of food on them. When I have the smothered burrito, I usually get the Mexi fries. No, it's not tator tots. It's sliced potatoes deep fried and then dusted with paprika. Then you dip them in the smothered burrito sauce and they are great. The salsa comes in a squeeze bottle (kinda weird) but you will either get it really spicy or not...all depends on how they make it everyday. The atmosphere is a bit different as the place is in what was an old western steak house. Ahhh, still ok though.